All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Weds April 7th, I sent in a request to Rexall to get on their waiting list. On Friday Rexall notified me I'm scheduled to receive a shot Sunday April 11. I noted on the Rexall booking sheet there were lots of opening.

That's how old I am, The brain blood clots are extremely rare, but brain blood clots... I'm wondering
if I wait a couple of weeks There might be something safer.

Extremely rare, and the documented issues appear to be with young women with low platelet counts. The rate of them having blood clot issues from oral contraceptives appears to be higher than issues with the vaccine as well.

I am not worried to take this vaccine.

My mom is refusing the vaccine :rolleyes:. This is what sitting at a computer working from home all day does to you. The bloody news should be held more accountable for making the blood clot story a story at all.

My mom is refusing the vaccine :rolleyes:. This is what sitting at a computer working from home all day does to you. The bloody news should be held more accountable for making the blood clot story a story at all.

Well in my mind it is a story. For anyone under 30 the risk of dying from covid if infected is approximately similar to the risk of these life threatening blood clots. With all our measures in place the risk of catching covid is not all that high right now, combined with the low risk of covid for young people, certainly raises questions about risk vs benefit for young people. If you're over 50 the decision should be much easier.

Well in my mind it is a story. For anyone under 30 the risk of dying from covid if infected is approximately similar to the risk of these life threatening blood clots. With all our measures in place the risk of catching covid is not all that high right now, combined with the low risk of covid for young people, certainly raises questions about risk vs benefit for young people. If you're over 50 the decision should be much easier.
Anxiety ridden 65 year old diabetic with cancer and 5 grandkids ranging from 1 to 11. Seemed like a great candidate to me. But because of something that never would have affected her anyways she's now scared of all vaccines.

Last edited:
On Weds April 7th, I sent in a request to Rexall to get on their waiting list. On Friday Rexall notified me I'm scheduled to receive a shot Sunday April 11. I noted on the Rexall booking sheet there were lots of opening.

Anxiety ridden 65 year old diabetic with cancer and 7 grandkids ranging from 1 to 11. Seemed like a great candidate to me. But because of something that never would have affected her anyways she's now scared of all vaccines.
I know exactly what you are going through. Dam Facebook had my mom scared of vaccine & she was even concerned about microchips.... it took a lot of pressure on her and me sitting down and asking her to do it for the rest of the family.. eventually she gave in. She had her first shot 3 weeks ago and had ZERO issues. The only side effect was reduced anxiety about catching Covid

I know exactly what you are going through. Dam Facebook had my mom scared of vaccine & she was even concerned about microchips.... it took a lot of pressure on her and me sitting down and asking her to do it for the rest of the family.. eventually she gave in. She had her first shot 3 weeks ago and had ZERO issues. The only side effect was reduced anxiety about catching Covid

The internet and misinformation is sad. You hear lots of stories will people go off the deep end as they are fed further and further misinformation based on the algorithms on facebook and youtube. Glad you got through to your mom.

Canada’s COVID-19 case rate tops U.S. as country continues to lag in vaccinations​

For the first time since the COVID-19 outbreak began, Canada’s rate of new cases of the novel coronavirus has eclipsed that of the United States

On average over the last seven days, Canada has reported 7,967.7 new cases, and the country’s daily cases have increased 82 per cent over past 14 days.

Canada saw 9,255 new coronavirus infections on Friday, marking a new all-time record for daily cases.

Canada’s COVID-19 case rate tops U.S. as country continues to lag in vaccinations​

For the first time since the COVID-19 outbreak began, Canada’s rate of new cases of the novel coronavirus has eclipsed that of the United States

On average over the last seven days, Canada has reported 7,967.7 new cases, and the country’s daily cases have increased 82 per cent over past 14 days.

Canada saw 9,255 new coronavirus infections on Friday, marking a new all-time record for daily cases.

I can't beleive that I had to argue with a guy last week about how impressed he was with our "overdelivering" on the vaccine front.

Third wave of COVID-19 crashes over Vancouver Island
April 10, 2021

After escaping the brunt of COVID-19 illnesses and fatalities for most of last year, the third wave of the pandemic is now starting to strain public health workers in the Island Health region.

Public health leaders on Vancouver Island say they expect case numbers to keep rising, due to an influx of travellers from the Lower Mainland over Easter long weekend, among other factors.

The Island has seen cases skyrocket from what has been a consistently low number throughout the pandemic.

“We continue to be at almost 70 [cases] a day rate, which is literally triple of what we were seeing 10 days ago,” said Island Health Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Richard Stanwick, in an interview with Capital Daily.

more:
https://www.capitaldaily.ca/news/covid-19-third-wave-vancouver-island

Last edited:
Anxiety ridden 65 year old diabetic with cancer and 5 grandkids ranging from 1 to 11. Seemed like a great candidate to me. But because of something that never would have affected her anyways she's now scared of all vaccines.
I thought all the cancer patients were getting the Pfizer jab? That’s what my wife was told

Is anyone getting the astrazenica shot?
I'm not eligible but it's still the shot I'd want. A small known risk is preferable to me to a completely unknown quantity.

If covid variants change my risk profile or that of my wife or kid, I'd re-evaluate the mRNA avoidance, but for the moment I'd still take the AZ shot if I could.

If I were older I'd probably have a slight preference for the mRNA options but honestly if I were old enough to be concerned about my covid risk, I'd take whatever I could get.

I'm aware I'm at some risk from it - a good friend of mine who is almost certainly fitter and stronger than anyone I've ever met in my life is a long hauler. This is a guy who once did a 6x 600lb deadlift, then 6x 600lb squat, then ran a 6 minute mile. He's a golden gloves boxer, and has black belts in Jiu Jitsu and judo and teaches both, and despite being a long hauler who now gets totally gassed on a random basis from stuff that used to not even mess up his hair, is running a 50k in two weeks. He's an absolute machine, and it seriously affected him.

So I totally get that there is a risk even to people who don't get killed or hospitalized. But still, it's relatively rare below a certain age and I judge my risk on an individual basis.

If I could get a shot tomorrow, it'd be the AZ one, at least in this country. In a country with more options, I'd probably try to get the J&J.

Copied from a document from the Covid-19 advisory to Ontario. Just sharing as info for those worried ( including me) about taking AZ because of the blood clot reports. My daughter, who is a Dr., shared this with us to help ease our minds I guess.

"Keep in mind that COVID-19 has killed over 15,000 Canadians so far, that about 1 in 100 Canadians who get COVID-19 end up needing intensive care, and that 1 in 5 Canadians who are hospitalized with COVID-19 develop blood clots. Currently Canada is experiencing a third wave of COVID-19. VIPIT is very rare, while the AstraZeneca vaccine has proven effective at reducing severe illness from COVID-19. Health care professionals, scientists, and government agencies in Ontario – and around the world – will continue to monitor the safety of this and all vaccines".

Here's my Covid story for today.
As always, a shot of coffee and a dip of snuff, lead to a trip to the john. As I flipped through a 2009 copy of Pacific Yachting, looking at the price of boats then and wondering why I didn't buy something bigger, I heard a scream, then a crash, then some thumps, then some curses and moans.
Quickly debating the need to wipe, I chose to, then found my wife at the bottom of our three hardwood clad stairs that descend from the kitchen to the main level.
I helped her up, checked her over, put a plaster on her split elbow, then used the medimap website to find a clinic where she could get her four stitches.
The clinic doc mentioned two things: firstly, we should get whichever vaccine comes available first (we're in the 55-65 group), and then he speculated that he is somewhat worried that despite the slow rollout, it is now moving faster than expected because too many people are choosing to pass on any vaccine.

I thought all the cancer patients were getting the Pfizer jab? That’s what my wife was told
They are...
They are going to all receive an invitation letter regardless of their age or the cancer type and once they book the appt’ they’re going to either get Pfizer or Modena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back