All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Significant fines for rule breakers means more of this, which recently happened in Ontario.
Did you read that? Not sure how many of Ontario’s rules she decided to side step but there are at least a couple of BC’s. Sorry, I’ve got no sympathy for people who try to find a work around. In reality, sounds like the cops should’ve fined everyone in the house.

Last edited:
Did you read that? Not sure how many of Ontario’s rules she decided to side step but there are at least a couple of BC’s. Sorry, I’ve got no sympathy for people who try to find a work around. In reality, sounds like the cops should’ve fined everyone in the house.
You have a pretty strong opinion on people not following the rules. Have you ever considered that the rules make no sense and contradict themselves which is likely why people don’t care to follow them? I wear a mask where I’m supposed to and I believe I follow the rules for the most part but if some member of the public thinks he’s going to come near me and police these covid rules, they better pack a ******* lunch. I just read today that more people have died in Japan due to suicide in the last month than all of the covid deaths they’ve had in the last year. I would bet if the media would worry less about making trump look bad and spend more time actually reporting the truth we would see that the covid rules are causing more harm and more deaths than the virus itself. You also keep mentioning the jobs you and your wife have. It doesn’t appear that your employment has been negatively affected by this whole shitshow so your opinion might be different than someone who has lost a business or is about to go bankrupt. Especially when the rules that caused them to lose their livelihood don’t make any sense whatsoever.

Yes there's some people that are just looking for loopholes

You have a pretty strong opinion on people not following the rules. Have you ever considered that the rules make no sense and contradict themselves which is likely why people don’t care to follow them? I wear a mask where I’m supposed to and I believe I follow the rules for the most part but if some member of the public thinks he’s going to come near me and police these covid rules, they better pack a ******* lunch. I just read today that more people have died in Japan due to suicide in the last month than all of the covid deaths they’ve had in the last year. I would bet if the media would worry less about making trump look bad and spend more time actually reporting the truth we would see that the covid rules are causing more harm and more deaths than the virus itself. You also keep mentioning the jobs you and your wife have. It doesn’t appear that your employment has been negatively affected by this whole shitshow so your opinion might be different than someone who has lost a business or is about to go bankrupt. Especially when the rules that caused them to lose their livelihood don’t make any sense whatsoever.
Damn rights. If your following guidelines, good for you. Now what about the people
You know who arnt? I’m so tired of people thinking there’s a grey area here. It’s black and white. Or maybe it isn’t and we actually need to be told what to do? Either way, it’s time for people to take responsibility for their own actions. Maybe we should start a thread about what fishing regs we can skip? Some dont make sense and some are ridiculously outlandish. I used to think we all followed them but after some of the reply’s on this thread , I’m not so sure. And I mentioned we’re still working but following guidelines because you can see people at their place of business not following them and I know it can be done. But back to people wanting to do what they want then complaining that it’s taking to long to get a handle on this thing. It’s a vicious circle and the longer we play with the kid gloves the longer it’s going to take.

Last edited:
john-and-helen-eberherr.jpg

A B.C. couple who met at Christmas dinner in 1965 found out they both had COVID-19 on Christmas Day in 2020.

In the 55 years between those fateful holidays, John and Helen Eberherr had three children and five grandchildren, and were active members of their church and community in Prince George.

They died just days apart, unable to see each other or say goodbye while sitting in the same hospital. He was 85, she was 78.
At age 23, Helen moved from Kelowna to Prince George to work at the Royal Bank. John's sister also worked there, and invited Helen to spend the holiday with her family, including John, who took an immediate liking to his sister's new co-worker.

"My aunt always said, 'We knew that as soon as your dad met someone he liked enough, it was going to be quick,'" daughter Tracy Glaicar said.

Sure enough, John and Helen were engaged within a week, and married six months later.
Joseph (John) Eberherr was born to homesteaders in Prince George in 1935. His grandparents wound up in the community after taking a wrong turn on their way to Kelowna and decided to stay.

John's father started a small sawmill, and John dropped out of Grade 7 to work there. He spent the rest of his career working for mills in the city while everyone else in his family departed for the Okanagan and the Lower Mainland.

"He was a homebody," Glaicar said.
Helen put her career on hold to focus on raising Glaicar and her two brothers. Not content to sit on the sidelines, she would volunteer and get involved in her kids' lessons, learning to ski and teaching them how to swim.

"She actually drove me crazy," Glaicar said. "She could never just watch."
Helen particularly loved swimming, and in retirement one of her dreams came true: The Eberherrs built a pool in their home and opened it up for swimming lessons for the neighbourhood.

"Hundreds of people must have learned to swim there," Glaicar said.
Among them were the Eberherrs' five grandchildren, all of whom were raised in Prince George. John and Helen would often care for their grandchildren, but family visits came to a stop when the COVID-19 lockdowns began last year.

While John had limited mobility and stayed home, Helen remained active, going for daily walks and keeping in touch with friends and family.
"She wore a mask and sanitized but she just really felt that staying locked up wasn't what she wanted," Glaicar said. "So she would continue to shop and continue to live."

Final days​

The family isn't sure how they caught the virus, but on Dec. 22, Helen told Glaicar that John was losing his appetite. Glaicar convinced her parents to get tested for COVID-19 on Christmas Eve, and they received the positive results the next day.

On Dec. 28, Glaicar could hear a change in her mother's voice — slurred and disjointed. She told Helen to dial 911, hung up and started driving to her parents' home.

Watching from a distance, Glaicar watched first John and then Helen get loaded into ambulances. Her parents insisted they didn't want to be hooked up to ventilators.
Glaicar spoke to her father via video chat one last time before he passed on Jan. 5, and had several phone calls with her mother. While her father had been extremely ill and chances of recovery seemed low, her mother appeared to be in relatively good health — until she learned John had died.

"She just sort of stopped after that," Glaicar said. "I think it just became too much."

Your comment doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Questioning whether I'm doing anything to stop the spread, just because I pointed out that not all the advice the government has given out has been good, and some of it has been directly counterproductive, is pretty much a non-sequitur.

The reality is that just giving more power to the state to enforce their requirements doesn't do anything to establish whether their requirements at any given moment are the best way forward. And since I can give actual direct examples of requirements which made things worse, not better, like telling people masks wouldn't help and might make them sicker, we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the basic principle of "follow whatever rules are being espoused" is not good enough. Back in the spring, I directly went against the advice of the WHO, the CDC, and our government: when I went into any indoor public area, I wore a mask. Should I have been fined?

To my knowledge there is no public data detailed enough that we can really measure whose fault the continued spread is. Population density seems to be a very significant factor, but how do you issue an order like "stop taking public transit"? Or "stop living in intergenerational households"? Or "stop living in cities"? You can't. But those might well be the major factors here. Australia and NZ have done really well and had hard core lockdowns...but they're also seasonally opposite from us, and during the summer, we had hardly any cases. It's very difficult to tell exactly why everything is happening the way it is, so from my perspective, insisting on super aggressive enforcement before we've even figured out what the best rules are is just asking for trouble.
You're leaning on a single perceived inconsistency to make your point: mask use. Dr Henry's message back in the early weeks of the pandemic wasn't that mask wearing was useless, she was against a mandatory masking order. Her approach then - and now - is that if you effectively communicate to people why you want them to do something, they'll do it voluntarily, and voluntary compliance is more effective than enforced orders.

She also quite correctly pointed out that mask wearers are less protected than they assume, unless the mask is N95 - which were in exceedingly short supply at the time. The messaging was very much focused on distancing as best prevention. No equipment needed, very simple concept. Did she play down masks because of PPE shortage? Who knows. Does it make her messaging dishonest or uninformed or untrustworthy? Any of us with infectious diseases credentials can step up now please.

You're leaning on a single perceived inconsistency to make your point: mask use. Dr Henry's message back in the early weeks of the pandemic wasn't that mask wearing was useless, she was against a mandatory masking order. Her approach then - and now - is that if you effectively communicate to people why you want them to do something, they'll do it voluntarily, and voluntary compliance is more effective than enforced orders.

She also quite correctly pointed out that mask wearers are less protected than they assume, unless the mask is N95 - which were in exceedingly short supply at the time. The messaging was very much focused on distancing as best prevention. No equipment needed, very simple concept. Did she play down masks because of PPE shortage? Who knows. Does it make her messaging dishonest or uninformed or untrustworthy? Any of us with infectious diseases credentials can step up now please.
My concern is not just Bonnie Henry's position, which I don't remember in detail and would want to know the specifics of before commenting, but the position of the WHO and CDC, both of whom knew perfectly well that mask use in general would slow the spread, but who publicly pushed the idea that it was unnecessary or harmful in order to lower the demand for masks, so that hospitals could get more, faster.

This was admitted later by Fauci et al; there's no question about the motivation and there was no question at the time about the function of basic PPE in the minds of anyone who knew anything about the virus. They just flat-out lied about whether people would benefit from masks, to ensure that the mask supply to hospitals etc wasn't threatened.

Some people won't have a problem with that, because the goal of getting masks to hospitals makes sense (unless they genuinely believed their own advice, in which case obviously it would have been pointless) and potentially could have lowered the total number of deaths - the math may justify it in that sense, I'm not arguing that preventing a worldwide run on masks wasn't a valid goal, nor am I arguing that masks in hospitals saves fewer people than masks in public - that's something we genuinely didn't know at the time.

But I have a huge problem with the fact that they knowingly advised behaviour that was specifically, unquestionably, more likely to make people sick, because they thought that the end result of more masks in hospitals was worth both the casualties of the policy, and the overt lie of the function of the masks.

If you listened to the policy at the time, you were actively doing harmful stuff, that's the reality. That's why I don't accept the idea that instead of questioning the rules, we should just be following them and giving more power to enforce them more aggressively. No, we should absolutely be questioning all of it, all the time. Science isn't dogma, science is actively investigating problems by using the scientific method. That's what we should be doing, and it should be happening in public, all the time.

The other problem with science is that everyone in every science field is jumping on the bandwagon of any sort of covid research. It's easy to get funding if you're doing covid research these days, no matter how questionable your research, qualifications, and motivations are. There is a tremendous amount of junk science hitting the mainstream these days, simply because it's related to covid. Scientists are human, and their motivations are human like the rest of us.

Alberta just reported that its volume of Vaccine it was expecting Q1 has been slashed again. No doubt BC will be the same..

Alberta will receive 63,000 fewer vaccine doses by the end of March than were promised by the federal government, the province's health minister said Thursday.

"For the third time this month, the federal government has notified us through bureaucratic channels that Alberta's Pfizer vaccine allocation will be slashed yet again," Health Minister Tyler Shandro said in a news release.

Earlier this month, the province was told its share of vaccines would be reduced between 20 and 80 per cent over four weeks, Shandro said.

"Shortly after that, we found out that Alberta would actually receive no vaccines at all in the last week of January."

The federal government assured the province that it would still receive the full promised allotment of 468,000 doses in the first quarter.

Now Alberta is learning that won't happen, he said.

"This is a grim situation that seems to be getting worse every week," Shandro said. "We know that life for Canadians will not begin returning to something resembling normal until our most vulnerable are immunized."

Pfizer's just waiting for the extra tax breaks from the government then im sure they will magically find more doses. And we're supposed to trust the slime ball drug companies.. :rolleyes:

Pfizer's just waiting for the extra tax breaks from the government then im sure they will magically find more doses. And we're supposed to trust the slime ball drug companies.. :rolleyes:

Yah, I do find it funny with the 100% blame given to the politicians(Not saying there isn't some blame due). Over history the drug companies have consistently been shown to be profiteering selfish pricks. I think many have forgot about that. They need to be under a microscope during this time as well as its so easy for them to screw around for profit with peoples livelihoods lay in the balance.

Alberta just reported that its volume of Vaccine it was expecting Q1 has been slashed again. No doubt BC will be the same..

Alberta will receive 63,000 fewer vaccine doses by the end of March than were promised by the federal government, the province's health minister said Thursday.

"For the third time this month, the federal government has notified us through bureaucratic channels that Alberta's Pfizer vaccine allocation will be slashed yet again," Health Minister Tyler Shandro said in a news release.

Earlier this month, the province was told its share of vaccines would be reduced between 20 and 80 per cent over four weeks, Shandro said.

"Shortly after that, we found out that Alberta would actually receive no vaccines at all in the last week of January."

The federal government assured the province that it would still receive the full promised allotment of 468,000 doses in the first quarter.

Now Alberta is learning that won't happen, he said.

"This is a grim situation that seems to be getting worse every week," Shandro said. "We know that life for Canadians will not begin returning to something resembling normal until our most vulnerable are immunized."

Pfizer is really screwing up any type of roll-out. How do you plan second doses if you give first doses and the planned second ones don't arrive. WTH.

IMO there is something wrong with the Pfizer excuse to all of a sudden start reducing the quantity of vaccines that are being shipped, because they need to upgrade their plant. It has been about 1 year since this all began. It did not take long before the number of infections were growing like crazy. How come now all of a sudden they realize there is a production problem. They have had almost a year to get their plant ready to mass produce the vaccine. This stinks!

After being in the business of upgrading manufacturing plants for many years i can add a little perspective to that.
They wouldn't start ramping up untill they knew that they had a winner so not a year. Then they need to have space, procure the right equipment, get the right people and get all of there proper permits, ect, ect. my question is why promise product two months ago when by then they would have know by then that they where going to have to upgrade . These projects are in the planing phase long before they start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back