All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
New York state said based on their current allocation it will take 6-7 Months to do 65+. Based on what they have been promised in deliverys they said it would take 4 months. That also include Heath care workers and essential workers.

as far as at home in bc timeline seems pretty optimistic but given that politician’s like to under promise it seems pretty likely will make that timeline. I also suspect they have timelines for other vaccine approved ect..

Under promise over deliver is basically the only way you can go. The other, has people breaking habits early and just giving up following distancing and then politically they are just open to all sorts of "failure" criticism. It is a lose lose to be overly optimistic from their standpoint.

As someone heavily involved as an athlete then coach in a bell curve of school, university, international, university and then school sport for 50 years, I really hope for the sake of the kids on school and university teams that September can bring a return to action.
Since young kids can't get the vaccine, I can only hope they can do something like we are seeing on tv with games happening while coaches and limited fans wear PPE in Sept.
Of course that scenario likely couldn't be supported by ample testing as it is with professionals, so it could all unravel really fast even if it does get started on schedule.

Nobody has a crystal ball but there’s definitely a lot of challenges on the suppliers side and it’s a global issue. We could only be hopeful that our government can pull their sh*t together and negotiate better deals with other suppliers once their vaccines get the approvals. We are the 18th right now, trailing behind Other countries such as Romania, Italy and Slovenia.

On a positive note though, there’s still no evidence that the existing vaccines cannot give immunity against the new variants. So, it’s still a matter of time to get past this hump and open up our economy.

As someone heavily involved as an athlete then coach in a bell curve of school, university, international, university and then school sport for 50 years, I really hope for the sake of the kids on school and university teams that September can bring a return to action.
Since young kids can't get the vaccine, I can only hope they can do something like we are seeing on tv with games happening while coaches and limited fans wear PPE in Sept.
Of course that scenario likely couldn't be supported by ample testing as it is with professionals, so it could all unravel really fast even if it does get started on schedule.
If our “leaders” can manage better, the science is supporting it:

I’m with you on the needs of youth to get back to organized sports. As the father of two young kids, I can see how desperate they are to get out and play some team sports or drills.

I’m with you on the needs of youth to get back to organized sports. As the father of two young kids, I can see how desperate they are to get out and play some team sports or drills.
Yeah I drive a school bus part time and am usually all over the Lower Mainland Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar and the kids are lovin' it-far too quiet this year.

I do an AM run as well and it's usually pretty lively the kids are a polite friendly happy bunch this year I don't hear a peep I mean once I've heard someone on the phone and once in a while I'll hear the youngest kid on the bus singing to himself that's it the rest of the time it's like a tomb-not good for their mental health that's for sure.

Nobody has a crystal ball but there’s definitely a lot of challenges on the suppliers side and it’s a global issue. We could only be hopeful that our government can pull their sh*t together and negotiate better deals with other suppliers once their vaccines get the approvals. We are the 18th right now, trailing behind Other countries such as Romania, Italy and Slovenia.

On a positive note though, there’s still no evidence that the existing vaccines cannot give immunity against the new variants. So, it’s still a matter of time to get past this hump and open up our economy.
If our “leaders” can manage better, the science is supporting it:

The numbers coming from that first link are out to lunch. It could be misinformation or disinformation, hard to tell these days. Just compare the numbers of the two links that you supplied.
The first link says 1.82 per 100 and the second link says 38 per 100 for Israel. I would go with the second links as the source it uses is much better even if it's a bit slow on it's updates.
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

If you want to do rankings then this one works too.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Last edited:
Yeah I drive a school bus part time and am usually all over the Lower Mainland Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar and the kids are lovin' it-far too quiet this year.

I do an AM run as well and it's usually pretty lively the kids are a polite friendly happy bunch this year I don't hear a peep I mean once I've heard someone on the phone and once in a while I'll hear the youngest kid on the bus singing to himself that's it the rest of the time it's like a tomb-not good for their mental health that's for sure.

This is so true and very sad....
As a parent I have been trying to find ways to give the kids more physical & mental activity. Also a break from being stuck at home.

Kids need social sports and activities so bad. They start to get depressed the same as a dog would be if they never get their walks. I know it sounds bad comparing kids to dogs, but they are alot alike. They need both physical activity & mental activity to stay happy.

We are entering the coldest months of winter & its making it harder to give the kids outdoor activities. As parents we need to do what we can.

The one thing I am so grateful for is having the kids go to school. It is so important for them to be able to do that. I see a night and day difference with my kids. I am lucky to say that we have not had a single covid case in school. That's with hundreds of kids going to the same school. As a society we need to do what we can to keep schools open.

Last edited:
When I get asked how things are going wrt covid, I always reply about my concern for the kids, mine are coping, but that is not a healthy part is growing up.
Not usually thankful for snow, but it was great seeing them run around outside happy!

It must be extremely hard on the kids - I haven't looked into it in any detail and in general I consider news to be incorrect until proven otherwise, but I'm seeing a bunch of stuff about increasing rates of teen suicides as kids are deprived of social contact, which is pretty awful.

I have to say I'm not optimistic about meeting any stated vaccination timelines; my experience with politicians of all stripes is that they overpromise, underdeliver, blithely ignore their own failures, and then their supporters simply deny that any promise was ever made, or insist that the reason the promise couldn't be fulfilled was because of a decision made by a politician they don't like, often from decades past.

The last numbers I saw have us vaccinating people at about a third the pace of the US, which is pretty sad. I think they're up to around 23-24 million today, we're sitting around 800,000 if I recall correctly.

Granted - they need it more desperately than we do, for lots of reasons. But I think vaccination is the only way out of this and I am not thrilled about the pace of the rollout, at all.

I'm closely involved with the ski club at Apex. The kids have been training, training, training since mid November, and dryland conditioning before that. It's been all training and no racing, and the two are not the same thing. Just banging gates all day isn't enough. So the weekend before last we ran a tiny race for just our club, 30 kids across three age groups. The coaches announced it a couple of weeks ahead and then did a structured buildup for the events like they would for a real race. The kids responded to this really positively, they just loved the competitive aspect. They got six race runs each day, plus laps for inspection, slipping and course setting. Parents reported exhausted but very happy racers.

We all felt so much better for doing this mini race. Not the real deal but something. We'll run timing for them once each month now, that will have to keep them until next season when competition should be more or less normal. There's a reason why Dr Henry has permitted junior sport to continue if it can meet the guidelines. Kids need this almost as much as school.

"
French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi will produce more than 100 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by its competitors Pfizer and BioNTech by the end of the year, CEO Paul Hudson told Le Figaro newspaper in an interview published on Tuesday.

As Sanofi and its British partner GlaxoSmithKline have delayed the launch of their shot to late 2021, the French company decided to approach Pfizer "in order to be helpful as of now," Hudson said, adding that an agreement with the U.S. company had been reached.

The news about Sanofi comes as the European Union on Tuesday warned pharmaceutical giants that develop coronavirus vaccines to honour their contractual obligations after slow deliveries of shots from two companies hampered the bloc's vaccine rollout in several countries.

The bloc already lashed out Monday at pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, accusing it of failing to guarantee the delivery of coronavirus vaccines without a valid explanation. It also had expressed displeasure over vaccine delivery delays from Pfizer-BioNTech last week.

"Europe invested billions to help develop the world's first COVID-19 vaccines. To create a truly global common good," EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told the World Economic Forum's virtual event in Switzerland. "And now, the companies must deliver. They must honour their obligations.""

A scolding from the EU might get some results, they're an investor and represent half a billion people. In the vaccine supply arena, Canada is just like any other small customer: at the mercy of the supplier. I get this at work on a regular basis, the suppliers dictate delivery date, and change those at will. You can rattle their cage all you want but they deliver on their terms, not yours. Talk of procurement shortcomings on the part of the feds here is just grandstanding.

I have yet to have my mind changed that the Liberals **** the bed by going in with the Chinese outfit that left us at the altar.
They should have known better, but they cannot get over their CCP lovefest.
This left us at the back of the line with these other vaccines.
Thank you, little potato.

I have yet to have my mind changed that the Liberals **** the bed by going in with the Chinese outfit that left us at the altar.
They should have known better, but they cannot get over their CCP lovefest.
This left us at the back of the line with these other vaccines.
Thank you, little potato.
That's exactly what happened

getting sick of the broken Bonnie record “people need to do more”. WTF more can I do?
I think it’s time for THE GOVERNMENT to do more and get some vaccines here.
At least the numbers are holding steady at 400-500 new cases per day and not blowing up.

Last edited:
Wow such anger and that nugget "back of the line" that's like a zombie that just won't die, no matter how many times it's killed.

And in other news it looks like J&J will be releasing its final results from its clinical trials of their vaccine next week. Word is that it looks good but the question again is supply. It's a one shot type and is one of the two that have submitted a request for use in Canada. Could come online sometime in March. Canada signed a contract for 38 million doses back in August.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-1.5706067

Last edited:

getting sick of the broken record “ people need to do more”. WTF more can I do?
At least the numbers are holding steady at 400-500 new cases per day and not blowing up.
Slap the people you see flaunting the public health orders? We all know one or two of them.

Or.... we could keep doing what we’re doing now. And maybe stretch this **** out for another year or two.

getting sick of the broken record “ people need to do more”. WTF more can I do?

that was the overwhelming reaction on the radio today. People are left wondering what more they could possibly do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back