Alberni sockeye

I have fished for sockeyes in strong winds lots of times....it can be challenging when the boat troll along very close to the log booms, when the fish rod strikes, put the engine in neutral, strong winds blow, boat goes ramming against the log booms. yikes! but it doesn`t happen.

Fished Yesterday, Got a late start, windy and dark out got one fish in the afternoon. Couple hits. Lots of fish on sounder. Lady a boat ramp said guys were coming in with lots of fish in the morning we were just to late.

Fished Yesterday, Got a late start, windy and dark out got one fish in the afternoon. Couple hits. Lots of fish on sounder. Lady a boat ramp said guys were coming in with lots of fish in the morning we were just to late.

lots of people like to be on the water at 4 30 am and get limits early, and go home early. Crazy so early but worthwhile. I get bites at around 6 30 to 7 am or 9 am as usual.

Hey guys, is it worth coming down to fish sockeye this weekend? i have never tried sockeye this late in the season. I hear some guys are having good luck with bare tandem black hooks, what leader length would you use for that?

Thanks

fisheries notice on seiners.

The target catch for this opening is 51,000 sockeye.

The July 17, 2014 re-forecast for Somass sockeye remained at 1.3 Million. At
this run-size, the commercial allocation for Seine and Gillnet combined is
533,818. Seine allocation is 320,291. Seine Catch to date is 190,000 pcs.
Gillnet allocation is 213,527 pcs. Gill net catch to date is approximately
140,000 pcs. Run-size review and re-forecast will take place July 17.

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Seines open from 10:00 hours Monday, July 21 to 10:00 hours Thursday July 24,
2014 or until the target catch is reached whichever occurs first, in the
following areas:

- In that portion of Subarea 23-1 bounded in the north by a line from Polly
Point to Stamp Point and in the south by a line from Dunsmuir Point light to a
point located at 49 degrees 09.660 minutes North, 124 degrees 47.720 minutes
West on the west side of Alberni Inlet north of China Creek; and

I have a couple friends coming over this weekend that want some socks, any recent reports? If not out to bamfield we go.
Cheers

a recent report on socks in the inlet would be greatly appreciated.... are there still plenty around????????? thank ya kindly.......C.A.

yup still lots around cooler weather was a game changer but not a show stopper. Weather forecast looks good for easy limits again

This morning was crap o la, boated 1 and lose a couple. In discussions with a few, fishing been going downhill the last couple of days, almost ready to pack sockeye in for this year.....maybe one more try.

any recent aiberni inlet sockeye reports please......Is it worthwhile making a trip up from Duncan????????? thanx C.A.

info I have is that sporties are not catching sox.
My observation today was that hardly any sporties are fishing sox - and thus the weak reports. I suspect that effort would be rewarded...

The commies are at it full bore still.
Near Pocahontas was a crap show trying to figure a safe track in a light chop - those floats are difficult to see!
And, nets are set so as to be interlaced..across the charted navigation path.
Be extra vigilant transiting the inlet!

My observation today was that hardly any sporties are fishing sox - and thus the weak reports. I suspect that effort would be rewarded...

Near Pocahontas was a crap show trying to figure a safe track in a light chop - those floats are difficult to see!

thank you for the report Smiley much appreciated .....C.A.

any recent aiberni inlet sockeye reports please......Is it worthwhile making a trip up from Duncan????????? thanx C.A.

Forget Alberni! Read this: Effective 00:01 hours Friday, August 1st, 2014 until further notice, in those
waters open to salmon fishing and in the following areas, the daily limit for
recreationally caught sockeye is four (4) per day: Areas 11 to 15, 17 to 20, 111, 121, 123 to 127 and Subareas 28-1, 28-2, 28-7, 29-1 to 29-5 - Retention Opportunity in South Coast Marine Waters - August 1, 2014

They are done, no more commercial fishing in Alberni as their quota has been reached. I saw a ton of sockeye last night in San Mateo and along the wall all the way to Starr Point. Those are probably Henderson fish, but you never know.

As for the wall of death and difficulty navigating, our Rec Sector Reps raised strong concerns at the Harvest Round Table meeting. We have served notice that the fishing plan needs to be addressed for next season to ensure safe passage, otherwise we are going direct to Transport Canada to file formal complaints. This issue will be discussed at the fall meeting of the Area 23 SFAC, and as well at the WCFGA fall meeting to determine next steps in addressing these safety issues.

BTW, if it helps to ease your pain, 5 nets were destroyed by a passing freighter which sent a strong message regarding open and safe passage for vessel traffic. Not that I wish anyone harm losing a valuable net, but the incident serves to demonstrate our concern over public safety and safe vessel passage. We sincerely hope these concerns can be addressed through open problem solving at the Harvest Round Table, however if this is unsuccessful we will need look elsewhere to establish a formal solution. Enough is enough.

Hi.....Is anyone still catching sox in the inlet ? and if so, is there many left after all the commercial boys have finished????????? thanx again C.A.

Back