Alberni sockeye

Here is latest off the press:

Run Reforecast:
The Somass run size has been maintained at 1,300,000. Overall, the abundance observed over the last few weeks suggests the run may be lower – i.e. average timing would predict a run size of less than 1.2M. However, pre-season expectations are for a very large return of 4-year olds. In past years when 4 year olds have contributed to the bulk of the run, the largest influx of fish has been from mid-July through early August. Therefore, by maintaining the run at 1.3M, we assume the run timing is late. However, if we continue to observe a decline in migration over the next two weeks, further downgrades in run size should be expected.

Bruces market guys working around bam said nets were getting hit but the fish are smaller right now and passing through the mesh size they are using.. I got a small one out in front of beale last week.

CC marina reports that as of 1pm today something like 21 boaters reported 39 sockeye.

Just got back from Barkley sound.. saw a pile of socks heading that way.....even saw a couple killer whales chasing them down the canal... the water temp. is heating up..the mouth of the river was 65.. the warm weather next week will hopefully do it... then fish on..:)

just had another buddy report that things are starting again...hopefully the weather forecast brings them in!

Last 2 days there has been improved fishing, however I would qualify improved to mean most guys are getting a few. More lucky ones are getting 6 to 10 fish. Gill net opening Sunday night from 8 pm to 5 a.m. then every day this week during nights. Seine guys will be open Monday at 10 am until Thursday. Who knows what the fish will be doing. They are top running, meaning they are not schooling up. Lots of schools ripping by. Saturday night the river was chocked full of fish.

we passed over 100 commercial trollers and 15 seiners coming up the inlet tonight, they were stacked up like cord wood, any socks that make it by there get to challenge the 50-60 First nations skiffs setting nets in the river... hope some of them have a fighting chance...:rolleyes:

Last 2 days there has been improved fishing, however I would qualify improved to mean most guys are getting a few. More lucky ones are getting 6 to 10 fish. Gill net opening Sunday night from 8 pm to 5 a.m. then every day this week during nights. Seine guys will be open Monday at 10 am until Thursday. Who knows what the fish will be doing. They are top running, meaning they are not schooling up. Lots of schools ripping by. Saturday night the river was chocked full of fish.

Like I said in my earlier post. Wen this many calender days have passed the com fleet will be going hard and that will not translate into any sustained lights out fishing for the rec guys. Even if water temps promote some holding, the bag fleet will push them around and be in mop up mode by then anyway. Sad that it is that way but thats what it is. the corridor has yet to prove itself as a useful tool for the rec sector. In fact we have not had a decent fishery since it was stated. Big snow,cold water wet spring and then like now better weather but limited time left for the com fleet to make the pay day. Sure it leaves some water where they are not but the fish are not there in numbers either . (so far)

Just look back a few years ago wen all the stars aligned for us. the long weekend saw almost all of us with limits by 9 in the morning at latest for a few days straight . second of aug I think it was for the re opening of the bags and 48 hours later we could hardly get 2 fish if we got lucky. mop up from then on and we where done.
Also was hard to fish inside Barkley at times the last few years to as the gill netters had every choke point blocked off while the sox still made their way in.

Not altogether against commercial fishing. I just think MUCH MUCH more work needs to be don in area23 especially to get some sort of balance put back into it.

saw a few very large seiner boats in a parade going straight west of Juan De Fuca Strait while I was fishing at Otter Point yesterday. I assumed they were going to Alberni Inlet for sockeye openings.

With this weeks weather forecast I wouldn't be giving up just yet. Escapements have been good, and lots of fish are going up the river you guys just haven't been catching many of them. That should change with warmer temperatures and more abundance coming through. We saw sockeye on Southbank a few days ago and jumpers in Barkley and they'll be coming.

With this weeks weather forecast I wouldn't be giving up just yet. Escapements have been good, and lots of fish are going up the river you guys just haven't been catching many of them. That should change with warmer temperatures and more abundance coming through. We saw sockeye on Southbank a few days ago and jumpers in Barkley and they'll be coming.

I have no doubt there are lots more to come. That is good news for sure. I hope I am wrong about how it will go as they arrive. Admittedly I tend to become negative sooner than many wen discussing area 23 and the way in which it has been managed to date.(not just sox). been watching it for years.

That said in an effort to be more positive, I do see recent info and weather forecasts as being good news. I will continue to hold hope for those of you chomping at the bit to spend money in port and area while enjoying the fun this fishery can provide the family.

Good luck out there everyone!!!

Like I said in my earlier post. Wen this many calender days have passed the com fleet will be going hard and that will not translate into any sustained lights out fishing for the rec guys. Even if water temps promote some holding, the bag fleet will push them around and be in mop up mode by then anyway. Sad that it is that way but thats what it is. the corridor has yet to prove itself as a useful tool for the rec sector. In fact we have not had a decent fishery since it was stated. Big snow,cold water wet spring and then like now better weather but limited time left for the com fleet to make the pay day. Sure it leaves some water where they are not but the fish are not there in numbers either . (so far)

Just look back a few years ago wen all the stars aligned for us. the long weekend saw almost all of us with limits by 9 in the morning at latest for a few days straight . second of aug I think it was for the re opening of the bags and 48 hours later we could hardly get 2 fish if we got lucky. mop up from then on and we where done.
Also was hard to fish inside Barkley at times the last few years to as the gill netters had every choke point blocked off while the sox still made their way in.

Not altogether against commercial fishing. I just think MUCH MUCH more work needs to be don in area23 especially to get some sort of balance put back into it.

Have to agree with Jencourt, I've been fishing Alberni sockeye since 2002. The last 7 years living in Pt Alberni so I've been relatively on top of the fishing if it's been happening (or not). All I can say is what I've said in previous posts, once the seiners are loose in the canal, the fishing goes for a nose drive and doesn't recover for days after.

Gear in at 5:30 am. Out at 10:30 am. Two Bites which shook.

Seiners EVERYWHERE.
Watched three hauls - one for 3 fish, one for ~ 20, and one for ~ 40.

Grim Day... :(
Nog

Gear in at 5:30 am. Out at 10:30 am. Two Bites which shook.

Seiners EVERYWHERE.
Watched three hauls - one for 3 fish, one for ~ 20, and one for ~ 40.

Grim Day... :(
Nog

thats enough to make me change my plans..... only hope now is the fraser river run..........C.A.

Fish are still ripping into the river, with the exception of today. There is a beach seine fishery planned for Thursday morning at Paper Mill Dam, so we should know then if the fish are still river bound or starting to hold up in the inlet. Problem at moment is they are travellers so no one is catching them. Commercial guys are basically giving up for this week as they can't get them and are spending more on fuel than catching fish. As Nog says, sets for 20 fish don't pay the fuel bills for the set. Thankfully fishing in Barkley Sound has been good with lots of coho and Chinook showing.

Fish are starting to stack up again. Hot weather has been producing good fishing in last few days.

Yup, easy limits. Got 20 today. They seem to still be shallow though. I saw lots of good schools, and this is the first time they have really been stacked in a few weeks. I heard the last few sets the seiners did on Wednesday night were gooders, so maybe we have a bunch of fish starting to hold up.

Searun

Yup, easy limits. Got 20 today. They seem to still be shallow though. I saw lots of good schools, and this is the first time they have really been stacked in a few weeks. I heard the last few sets the seiners did on Wednesday night were gooders, so maybe we have a bunch of fish starting to hold up.

Where were you fishing-Nahmint or around China Creek-thanks for the report!

Back