Alberni Derby

Hey guys heres an update for the derby sun at 5:00 Pm.
Ive been cleaning fish for the derby so ive been in the action all weekend.
This afternoon a 41 got brought in from down below, 37lb was brought in this morning and a 35 as well.
I went out yesterday morning and got two springs in there twenties at lonetree.
This morning i went out to coulsons and had three fish in the boat by 9 and lost 4, nice heavy bite at coulsons around 7.
Lets hope this rain brings in some more fish for the final morning
I will keep u guys posted

Chris(dirty-hooker)

quote:Originally posted by Sarkan

Ive been cleaning fish for the derby so ive been in the action all weekend.

So Chris, What colour was the 40+ .... Red or White??

Wondering...[?]

Nog

So here is the leader so far. woke up late because of a ruff night .
hooked two right off the bat and then this hog .

CIMG1498.jpg

CIMG1496.jpg

CIMG1499.jpg

cought a couple in the canal and a couple at pill the first day .

CIMG1502.jpg

Wetbeavers grumpy son
CIMG1454.jpg

while fishing at pill I have a video of me neting a 25#fish and my buddy realing it in with are life jackets on in the water. he got pulled around pretty good .I'll post the video tomorrow.

Hey Nog, Funny you should mention that because 3 of the bigger qualifiers that have been caught from down the canal have been white, i took great notice too. Hey SALTY BEAVER thats a nice slab, and i tried that set up u described to me on the docks there and i landed two in the harbour this evening. I'll Probably see you tomorrow at the station again waiting for you to check in on the standings[8D]
Chris

Nice to see all your intense practice fishing this year with your fishing partner is paying off. ;) Picture of Wet Beavers Son PRICELESS!!! [8D] That's a nice hog! Hope you guys win the big money. [:p] See ya back on the East Side soon!!!

Just goes to show not always does the early bird get the worm. :D

Cheers ME

Hey Nog

After reading your post about what colour the fish was, I got to wondering. Have I ever caught a white spring in the canal?

I don't believe I have. I've caught them offshore and on the ECVI, but not in the canal.

Is there a run that makes it's way there??

SO Mondays standings were a 31 and 29.4 2nd and a 29.4 third.

Beaver congrads on the hog and thanks again for the tip, hopefully see ya around again.Some time you will have to show me how to get those big boys, im still stuck on a 37 trying to hit 40.

Today i went out and fished across from coulsons we got 4 in the boat the biggest was 26lb and the smallest 16lb. All and all a decent derby for us and another memory for alot of us.

Chris

quote:Originally posted by baddogg

Hey Nog

After reading your post about what colour the fish was, I got to wondering. Have I ever caught a white spring in the canal?

I don't believe I have. I've caught them offshore and on the ECVI, but not in the canal.

Is there a run that makes it's way there??

My first ever white I hooked was in Vernon Bay, somewhat inside I would say. I remember thinking there was something wrong with it. LOL So, they are in the sound, not sure if they head right up the canal or not. I too am interested in if they head up the canal or not.

So you get a license for your 3 year old kid, bring him along for the boat ride and now two men can keep 3 springs each? A good idea or abuse of the system?

I would expect that a juvenile holding a free licence should be able to at least hold a rod and bring a fish close to the boat by him/herself, and I cannot see how a 6-month old could possibly do that. Unfortunately, the regs are silent about that. [V]

I see no issues with having a 3 year old or a 6 month old for that matter on your boat with a license. There are many crappy parents out there who pay little attention to their kids. I would rather have my 4 and 1 year old boys out on the boat with me than have them parked in front of the TV for a morning. I think that parents that take the time to have their kids on the boat should be rewarded, not questioned. Isn't that what fishing is all about???

GREAT GOING SALTY & CREW :D

A Nanaimo man has won the top prize in the 36th annual Port Alberni Salmon Festival.
Tomi Uusikartano won $10,000 and the George Berry Trophy for the largest fish of the weekend after reeling in a 41-pound salmon near Effingham Inlet Sunday afternoon.
“It was heavy,” said Uusikartano.
Uusikartano said he spent about 30 minutes battling the fish but didn’t notice the time pass because he was too busy talking.
On board his boat, said Uusikartano, were five people and a baby.
Uusikartano was just one of some 2,500 entrants – from as far away as the United Kingdom and Japan – to participate in the three-day salmon derby, centred at the Clutesi Haven Marina.
Dan Washington, president of the society in charge of the festival, said he was still awaiting a final count on the number of entrants because some registered in Bamfield and Green Cove.
Washington said Uusikartano was well below the festival’s record salmon, which was caught in 1982 and weighed 60.8 pounds.
Despite the rain – which had an impact on some festival vendors Sunday – Washington said the festival was a good derby, and contestants landed about 800 fish a day.
Meantime, Washington said volunteers served up about 5,000 pounds to salmon festival guests.
The winning fishermen and their salmon over the three-day festival were

Saturday:

Roger Bigwood, Quesnel, 35.2 pounds
Glen Pirart, Nanaimo, 35.1 pounds
Pat Edwards, Port Alberni, 35 pounds, winner of the Fred Duncan Trophy for the largest fish caught by a Port Alberni resident

Sunday:

Tomi Uusikartano, Nanaimo, 41 pounds, winner of the George Berry Trophy for the largest fish of the weekend
Cassie Judson, Ladysmith, 37 pounds
Slade Balance, Nanaimo, 35.4 pounds

Monday:

Bob Eberhart, Rocky Mountain House, 30.3 pounds
John Larsen, Port Alberni, 29.4 pounds
Dan Sprinkling, Qualicum, 29.4 pounds

Tom Vilac won the Gary Rooke Memorial Trophy for catching the largest hatchery fish of the weekend by landing a 22.85 pound salmon.

http://www.westcoaster.ca/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=2556

well I guess that saves me from right a long email .thanks steely.I'll post more pictures later and the video. It was not me that reeled it in just incase there was confusion. I thought it was just another 20# because of the fight, until I tried to net it and it would not fit in the net .

I'm not sure that this is the proper place on the forum for this topic but on the subject of juvenile licenses, good idea to have the kids on-board and catching fish:D I would suggest that kids under 10 would not need any license, however, any Spring salmon they catch should count against an adult license. Kids 10 and over get the juvenile license and salmon tag and record their catch as usual. Everyone's happy and no abuse issues.

Tom

Hey Salty, can u tell me where u got the fish from now, its after the derby now and its the least u can do seeing that i cleaned it[:p]

Back