Advice on re-lining reels

It’s time to re-line my reels for trolling and looking for advice. I have previously just gone with a 30lb monofilament line to a clip attached to the flasher and then 40lb leader to the spoon/hoochie. Now I am reading about fluorocarbon from Seaguar and thinking of going with their STS salmon 30lb for main line and 40lb of the same type between the flasher and spoon/hoochie.

Thoughts on this setup?

I believe at typical salmon trolling depths that flouro is overrated.

Does anyone believe that salmon would be leader shy at 40’ or more deep? Not likely.
The bigger benefit that I find, and the reason I run fluoro for leaders, is it that it is much more abrasion resistant than mono. Last thing I want when I have a good one on is for the teeth to wear through the leader on a long fight. I can't remember the last time I had a break off with fluoro (touch wood!).

After every fish I always to a quick check on the leader to make sure there are no nicks and change out if needed. You'd be surprised at the abuse fluoro can take, even when it is pretty beat up after a big fish. I don't feel confident that mono could manage as well.

FWIW, I run 30# mono (Pro-Spec or Maxima) and 30# leader (Seaguar blue label), sometimes 40# if I'm expecting big fish - for bait and spoons, heavier for hoochies.

i had no idea you could put braided line on a traditional mooching reel. i haven't seen it before. and then you tie your leader direct i gather so it can go through the guides? what knot do you prefer?

i had no idea you could put braided line on a traditional mooching reel. i haven't seen it before. and then you tie your leader direct i gather so it can go through the guides? what knot do you prefer?
Double uni or Alberto knot both work well. The type and length of mono top shot make a difference. Longer and stretchier mono is more forgiving. I've tried between just enough mono to put in the clip up to 100'

It’s time to re-line my reels for trolling and looking for advice. I have previously just gone with a 30lb monofilament line to a clip attached to the flasher and then 40lb leader to the spoon/hoochie. Now I am reading about fluorocarbon from Seaguar and thinking of going with their STS salmon 30lb for main line and 40lb of the same type between the flasher and spoon/hoochie.

Thoughts on this setup?

Tuffline 80lbs braid. Walmart south surrey find a source this stuff is great. It's about $50 and enough to do 2 reels.

Sorry to be so much of a pedant but that is a Uni to Uni knot not the double.
Always thought it was a double because technically you're doubling the line. Each pass goes around two lines. Then there's a uni knot which is a terrible terrible not.

This knot is about as strong as they come and way easier to tie than a needle knot or nail knot.

I've been using 40-60lb straight braid all the way to the top of the flasher for about 20 years with no major problems. No need to tie mono to braid unless you like mono and that is fine too. Braid really isn't that expensive anymore. The whole argument about braid pops out of the release clip is also overrated. That is more of an issue if you go and buy the most expensive ultra thin braid out there. Just buy a good medium quality braid. Tuff Line is fine and there are many others. It definitely isn't as forgiving as mono which I'm finding a nuisance with sockeye but that is a minor fishery for us anyways. We fish winter springs at 200' and can keep the line in the clip just fine.

The biggest reason that I love braid is it lasts forever and doesn't kink when you wrap your hand around it, the wind and flasher twist it etc. I have a jigging rod that I'm pretty sure still has the original braid from 20 years ago when I started switching over.

Last edited:
No top shot of mono hmmm I like that if the downrigger clip doesn't slip on the braid. I have been using top mono because I thought I needed to in order to clip downrigger. What knot from braid to swivel? Thanks.

No top shot of mono hmmm I like that if the downrigger clip doesn't slip on the braid. I have been using top mono because I thought I needed to in order to clip downrigger. What knot from braid to swivel? Thanks.
It's absolutely doable just dont get talked into some really thin and expensive braid or it will drive you crazy.
Also watch for some of the braid with a really waxy coating. They can be a pain too.
Good luck,

Last edited:
Back