@ 70 lb Hali on light gear - video

Wondermur

Crew Member
We spent 4 days fishing Dundas Island and 3 days fishing around Work Chanel, North of Prince Rupert and up to the Alaska border. June 18-25.
Hooked up a Hali on my slow jigging gear and made a little video…we have gone lighter on our gear these last few years and leave the Hali rods behind now.

Blazed out a bit of line that’s for sure, what reel is that and are you happy with it? Been keeping my eye out for a lower profile left hand.

Blazed out a bit of line that’s for sure, what reel is that and are you happy with it? Been keeping my eye out for a lower profile left hand.
It was a Lexa Winn. Wn300hsl from
Memory. 30lb power pro depth hunter.
I also have an hdLexa hd300hsl. They are great reels, level wind and wind and the clutch engages as soon as you wind which I really like in a slow pitch setup. We caught 12 Hali one morning between Prince Rupert and Caamano Sound on these reels, kept 2. It was an awesome morning. Including a couple more just over 126cm. My buddy was using a Lexa 400. Surprising how strong 30lb power pro is with fg knot to a 50lb leader. So much easier to wind up you gear with a low profile reel. No wobble and your gear doesn’t need to be so heavy.
I’ve bought a Lexa 400 now so will sell one of the others.

Last edited:
Nice. We just got one this past year on my slow pitch rod but it was on the troll, my son reeled it up in 2 speed. The perfect setup for kids and for long days of fishing. What test are you running? I think I went to 40lb but I can’t recall. Powerpro?
Yes power pro 30. The depth hunter with 25” colour changes.

I also have an hdLexa hd300hsl. We caught 12 Hali one morning between Prince Rupert and Caamano Sound on these reels, kept 2. It was an awesome morning. Including a couple more just over 126cm. My buddy was using a Lexa 400. Surprising how strong 30lb power pro is with fg knot to a 50lb leader. So much easier to wind up you gear with a low profile reel. No wobble and your gear doesn’t need to be so heavy.
Oh man I would love to spend some time up there and do some boat camping at Campania, sounds like an awesome place. I actually came across this thread looking for the video of your trip up to Milbanke - that time of year where I’m dreaming of summer.

I don’t get down to Van much but if your interested in selling the HD300 send me a PM.

I'd use 50lb braid instead of 30...too easy for that braid to dig in on a good run....speaking from experience with fishing a 400 WN for tuna also you can pin down the drag a bit more. Just got a HD 400 and enjoying it.

I also have an hdLexa hd300hsl. They are great reels, level wind and wind and the clutch engages as soon as you wind which I really like in a slow pitch setup. We caught 12 Hali one morning between Prince Rupert and Caamano Sound on these reels, kept 2. It was an awesome morning. Including a couple more just over 126cm. My buddy was using a Lexa 400. Surprising how strong 30lb power pro is with fg knot to a 50lb leader. So much easier to wind up you gear with a low profile reel. No wobble and your gear doesn’t need to be so heavy.
great video!

hey: i’m interested in your old Lexa reel for sale. i’m in Campbell River. Dm me the details!

Back