60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

A large part of SFAB's decision was based on angler behaviour...which had no data to really support it ...so why should GDW :p lol jk

Geez - prior to this thread (and the other related one), I was of the opinion that most all of you Canadians were polite, thoughtful and well spoken. However, these two threads look like crappy American fishing web sites with a number of rude people shooting their mouths off. Being a typically rude American, I'd like to award a few of the posters to this thread (you know who you are) "honorary rude American status". With this status you are free to wander into U.S. bars and shoot your mouth off about any topic on which you have little or no knowledge - e.g. you'll fit in just fine with the rest of us to the south of you. For those who don't deserve this honor (and again you likely know who you are), I'll look for your enjoyable and well informed posts on other threads. :)

Geez - prior to this thread (and the other related one), I was of the opinion that most all of you Canadians were polite, thoughtful and well spoken. However, these two threads look like crappy American fishing web sites with a number of rude people shooting their mouths off. Being a typically rude American, I'd like to award a few of the posters to this thread (you know who you are) "honorary rude American status". With this status you are free to wander into U.S. bars and shoot your mouth off about any topic on which you have little or no knowledge - e.g. you'll fit in just fine with the rest of us to the south of you. For those who don't deserve this honor (and again you likely know who you are), I'll look for your enjoyable and well informed posts on other threads. :)

If voicing your displeasure with an obviously unpopular decision and questioning the thought process of that decision throws me into the American status, then I'll proudly jump in...those that speak their minds to make sure those making decisions realize the "oopsie" and don't hide are the ones that have my respect.

If voicing your displeasure with an obviously unpopular decision and questioning the thought process of that decision throws me into the American status, then I'll proudly jump in...those that speak their minds to make sure those making decisions realize the "oopsie" and don't hide are the ones that have my respect.

No - "voicing displeasure" is VERY Canadian. Being rude about it, knocking on others, threatening to disobey the law.... that's American talk. ;)

Yes...better than here for sure!!!! Did you read it?

Nope, what did it say?

Point is, they don't go out and kill whatever, whenever they want. Certainly better than here but not the proverbial fisherman's paradise that is being inferred in previous posts. Some areas have a restriction of 1 and a much smaller slot size.

Still not suggesting that what we are faced with is acceptable

Well if/when it does come into effect it will NEVER go away DFO doesnt go back on what they do, and for the SFAB and SFI to even contemplate this is well FRICKEN stupid shame on you for selling us out and shame on you for destroying bcs future on halibut. LAST year was to be "experimental" well its year 2 now when do we say thats it non experimental hhhhhmmmm I remeber these same words being said about 15 years ago with coho and the barbless hook restrictions it also was "EXPERIMENTAL" and still to this day its in force.....this is not experimental!!!!!!!! this is to promote rec guys to purchase quota and to support slipper skippers there trying to force it. MARK MY WORDS until now it was a failed process

SO GUYS FORWARNING YOU NOW GOT GET A JUG NOT A BOTTLE OF KY JELLY CAUSE WE ARE GOING TO GET IT UP THE ARSE BAD AND FAST AS A TEENAGER GETTING HIS FIRST PIECE OF TAIL AND IT GOING TO BE THE SHOT OF THE CENTURY.

WANT A BIG HALIBUT DONT COME TO BC GO TO ALASKA.......

Nope, what did it say?

Point is, they don't go out and kill whatever, whenever they want. Certainly better than here but not the proverbial fisherman's paradise that is being inferred in previous posts. Some areas have a restriction of 1 and a much smaller slot size.

Notice the article is referring to the regs for charter operations. In Alaska the do-it-yourself tin boat guys get 2 per day, no size limits and no possession limits. That quota comes "off the top" the commercial charter businesses, which are limited get a quota and thus have regs like the under/over slot to meet their quota, and the commies get a quota. So, in Alaska, average Joe fishermen has it WAY better than here in BC.

Ukee

Oh chit.... Wolfie is yellin :eek:

SO GUYS FORWARNING YOU NOW GOT GET A JUG NOT A BOTTLE OF KY JELLY CAUSE WE ARE GOING TO GET IT UP THE ARSE BAD AND FAST AS A TEENAGER GETTING HIS FIRST PIECE OF TAIL AND IT GOING TO BE THE SHOT OF THE CENTURY.
Thanks God We Have A Costco Nearby.....:)

A large part of SFAB's decision was based on angler behaviour...which had no data to really support it ...so why should GDW :p lol jk

SG angler effort was up.
I don't have the numbers because I'm not in the loop.
That comes from the team that is in the loop.
GLG

Nope, what did it say?

Clearly did not read it properly...its a reverse slot, one larger than about 70lbs and one smaller than about 20lbs.

I'm not hiding behind anything Dave. I even offered to speak with you personally - I believe that is accountable, not hiding. As I stated previously, I have nothing to say at this point about the decisions reached by the SFAB and will not comment specifically until they are able to publish the minutes. I do however fully support the SFAB process, and also respect the decision they arrived at by majority vote. All the SFAC's provided their input and direction. As GLG stated, the SFAC's gave direction as to what was valued by their members basically locking in the choices available. Now it comes down to decisions around how to best reach those values with the TAC available. This may not be what we like, but it certainly affords a fishery that meets the objectives stated by the SFAC's.

Democracy's are decided by those who vote. The SFAB process has been in existence for decades, if we all spent as much time attending those meetings and providing our input as we do ranting through our keyboards we might accomplish a lot more than the name calling that is happening here.

Time to move on. Here's some tips from DFO on releasing halibut. I think most of us can quickly adapt our fishing techniques when it comes to increasing our catch efficiency, so it will be a walk in the park to change up our fishing methods to improve live release for large halibut. They do it in Alaska, why not here?

It should also be noted that 50% of halibut in the Atlantic reach sexual maturity at 130 cm - Pacific Halibut can't be that much different! Please explain to me why it is such a hardship to release these animals - do they not represent our future??

My other point is the rec sector can now turn to the commercial sector and ask them to stop being buffalo hunters and implement a similar max size regulation so we can work together to ensure we improve recruitment of juvenile fish.

http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/folios/00090/docs/atlantic_halibut_fletan_atlantique-eng.pdf

Tight lines!

There are too many recreational fisherman for seasons and limits to be what they once were. Our take used to be a drop in the bucket, and not worth mentioning. Well respected members of this forum have taught thousands of us to catch halibut online for example. Boats go offshore when few used to. How many knew how to anchor for hali 10 yrs ago? The TAC ratio has not kept up to the new demand. We have to buy more quota, or more likely have the government buy it for us by retiring some more slipper licences. Meanwhile, people need to calm down, stop whining, and plan a fun season regardless of changes. To those in the guiding industry, I admire your courage and question your career choice. How do you plan a business based on DFO whims and American hatchery salmon? The forestry industry is hiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
That won't happen searun, let's be honest here, commies would NEVER do that...and to me that is implying you see this being a long term thing.

Just like I have always said DFO has there own agenda and does not care what the public wants. Actions should be decided by the public not by a handful of self interest people.

Democracy's are decided by those who vote. The SFAB process has been in existence for decades, if we all spent as much time attending those meetings and providing our input as we do ranting through our keyboards we might accomplish a lot more than the name calling that is happening here.

A little hypocritical as we had just been shut out of our SFAC meetings and others are barely announced.

A little hypocritical as we had just been shut out of our SFAC meetings and others are barely announced.

SFAC..... our the local area meeting.. twice a year doors open to all...SFAB- public can veiw but not particapate

Our take used to be a drop in the bucket, and not worth mentioning.

We are still a little fart in the face of a hurrican. Do you know what the unwanted hali bycatch in Alaska is - thrown back dead in the ocean? 10x our measly TAC.

We are still a little fart in the face of a hurrican. Do you know what the unwanted hali bycatch in Alaska is - thrown back dead in the ocean? 10x our measly TAC.

Nobody likes what the Alaska draggers are doing with Hali bycatch. Are you saying we should all poach, use barbed j hooks and flaunt whatever other rules are published until Harper fixes that problem too? Sounds logical.

Back