• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
Well if it is leaking you have a hole in your boat essentially, you going to have to fix it. If it is not used fill it in.

It definitely needs repair, but for every situation there is a solution. Is the leak from around the exterior of the thru hull, because the sealent is cracked or the cinch nut is loose, or is the thru hull cracked and water is leaking from inside the thru hull fitting and into the bolt? What kind of hull do you have, aluminium, wood or fiberglass? If fiberglass, is it foam cored or straight glass? Is there a backing board on the interior or does the thru hull nut bear directly on the hull interior?

I just took one out and glassed it up yesterday, wasn't leaking but I didn't figure I'd be using it down the road. The less holes in my boat the better.

That looks like a drop of water forming on the outside of the fitting. if the hull is not cracked, l would suspect that the sealant is no longer doing its job, either because it has loosened off or the sealant has cracked and allowing water to go through the hull on the outside of the fitting. If this is the case, then you may have additional problems. If water is getting between the fitting and the hull then there is a possibility that you may have water intrusion into the hull, where it may accumulate. The easiest fix is to replace the thru hull, making sure to use plenty of marine sealant and a backing board in the interior. If there is damage to the glass there are some epoxys that are formulated to work in a wet enviroment, should you decide to try plugging it. I think you would have to raise the boat off the trailer in order to grind the fiberglass to accept a patch. If you can get someone to hold the nut on the inside, you should be able to remove the thruhull by using piece of appropriately sized flat bar into the hull fitting and turning it with a crescent wrench.

If it is of no future use, glass it over Rob. If you can get at it from the inside and back off the nut holding the throughhull then all you need is to give it a quick scuff with a grinder, lay up 1 unit of glass and roving and voila. Some gype in the hole and an outside unit...done. I have everything you need to do this. Consider it a trade for the Perko switch:)

Hopefully by plastic you mean nylon which won't crack when smacked like plastic will. Never use plastic below waterline. Bronze is best for that job.

LOL - now there is a relief...I don't need to do anything! :)

It turns out that the fitting that I was concerned about is in fact a plumbed drain outlet for my bow hold. So, when I was power washing my bow deck water entered the hold and then drained out of the through hull. It did it's job. LOL Can you yell IDIOT! any louder? LOL haha :)

I'll just paint her up now, finish up all the other crap on my list and get her out onto the water. Yeesh! LOL :)

Kind regards
Robert
Sounds about as bad as sweating rust stains and leaking water coming out of the chain locker!!! LOL

Back