Starlink

ShaeMcLaren

Anyone mount starlink to their boat yet? Thinking about adding a mount and cable so I can take it from my house to boat for big trips 🤔.

I met a guy, on the water, last summer. His worked good. But you can only use, land based Starlink, while stationary. He said if they detect you’re moving, they’d lock you out? They want you to spend the big bucks for mobile subscription.

I met a guy, on the water, last summer. His worked good. But you can only use, land based Starlink, while stationary. He said if they detect you’re moving, they’d lock you out? They want you to spend the big bucks for mobile subscription.
Yeahhh I think if you got the mobile plan you would be fine unless you're way offshore?

The starlink for boats is super spendy. The RV one is affordable, but won’t work while moving (you need a different receiver for that). The home use one is geofenced, so it probably won’t work.

The starlink for boats is super spendy. The RV one is affordable, but won’t work while moving (you need a different receiver for that). The home use one is geofenced, so it probably won’t work.
Yeahh I think it would be nice for when you're tied up at a marina or anchored. I almost bet it would work trolling as well. They seem to adjust fairly quickly.

Starlink is the real deal in the commercial trading vessel space and a game changer over satnav. Personally, when I go on my boat I don't want to connect back to shore anymore than I need to but for those who want that connectivity at sea, it's the real deal.

The 2 guys I met, cruising the Broughtons use the home based version, while anchored and close to land. They said it can’t tell that you’re on a boat. Key is to only use while being stationary. I think they’re launching more satellites constantly, so their accuracy of your location may improve, and they may be able to tell?

That's definitely a possibility. I bet the marine package will come down in price soon as well. Good to know it works though.

There has been lots of talk on the sailing cruiser forums on starlink.
Bottom line is that it is worth the price.
Very few dark spots while crossing oceans.

Works great - high speed and low latency. I've been using it 60nm out tuna fishing. Not that it won't work farther in the ocean. $329 per month for the plan that allows mobile use. You can change or cancel the plan any time, but they will bill you for the whole month.

"High performance" antenna is needed for mobile use, but I think people are using stationary versions as well.

I’ve used the basic dish and router on my motorhome at 110km/hr. Works great.
I believe it’s the gen 2.
Starlink charged me the roam package as I was in the states and my home location is in Nanaimo.

Back