3 boaters lucky to be alive !

From all I heard as well was the conditions were horrible and why they were out in that type of boat is beyond me.

From all I heard as well was the conditions were horrible and why they were out in that type of boat is beyond me.
Not that it matters but what type of boat was it. It doesn’t say in the report and kind of hard to tell from the pic.

It said in the report it was a 21' center console when I read it. Not sure if the news site revised anything?
Yup so it does under the picture,, missed that.

Thx.

Well on sunday went down to my boat at pedder and guys were launching a boat at 9 ish ...I said have you seen the forecast??? he said its nice now so we are going!!!!! im thinking WOW ok.... I went and got my traps (I left out was supposed to go but cancelled) was in 4 foot rollers and no wind from the SE in pedder bay!!!! got traps and back to the dock ... few hours pass see these guys come back in they got the grunt of it ... water was all over the boat...
So please head the warnings if its forecasted for gales sure it might go to storm force but is a fish really worth it???

Well on sunday went down to my boat at pedder and guys were launching a boat at 9 ish ...I said have you seen the forecast??? he said its nice now so we are going!!!!! im thinking WOW ok.... I went and got my traps (I left out was supposed to go but cancelled) was in 4 foot rollers and no wind from the SE in pedder bay!!!! got traps and back to the dock ... few hours pass see these guys come back in they got the grunt of it ... water was all over the boat...
So please head the warnings if its forecasted for gales sure it might go to storm force but is a fish really worth it???
Yup! Commercial guys sometimes have to go out in snotty weather - often it's because recreational guys are too stupid to stay home!

The older we got, the less of that crap we put up with.

Cheers
I think it may also be in part that we have less to lose and get that F it attitude. I'm finding myself going that way. Probably going to get myself butt kicked one day.

Some some guy launching at Sidney Monday. Nice 20+ glass boat. Quite determined to launch even though surf was washing up the ramp and over the wharf. My bladder couldn't wait around to see how things turned out.:)

I had thought about heading out of Ukee to meet up with a guy heading out of Alberni to go Hali fishing Saturday but the wind report scared me off. Saturday the winds looked better so fished out of Pedder solo but was a little scared of the wind report so scrapped plans to sleep on the hook. Sunday woke up, looked at the wind report, and decided to go fishing west of Sooke. I guess the moral of the story is if you have to go fishing scale back your plans based on wind reports, and maybe I should be listing to environment Canada more?

Funny I told a guy on Facebook who wants to go fishing off Ukuelet in his 8 foot dingy, to get a floater suit and dsc/gps handheld at least, and he replied that he fishes 200 days a year.

Funny I told a guy on Facebook who wants to go fishing off Ukuelet in his 8 foot dingy, to get a floater suit and dsc/gps handheld at least, and he replied that he fishes 200 days a year.
Good advice.
Considering people pay for 6 months of storm-watching I suppose it's possible ( I'll call B.S.) but why doesn't he get a job, like the rest of us, so he can afford a proper boat? ;)

Not that it matters but what type of boat was it. It doesn’t say in the report and kind of hard to tell from the pic.
I was out on the boat that capsized, shouldn’t have been out in that weather but we had booked a cabin for the weekend with no refund with some other guys so we were going out. We were out Saturday morning as it wasn’t very windy till about 11 but the storm off the coast was still producing some big swells. We were planning on going in soon just trying to get a couple more ling. We were fishing a breather rock off the shore and stupidly got too close as the rock was deep enough in the water that only the bigger swells would show where the rock was. We were trying to find where we were in regards to the rock and all of a sudden a huge swell came in and we got caught sideways behind the rock and the swell hit the rock and just curled right on top of us. Happened so fast. Moral of the story is don’t go out unless your sure of the weather, the couple fish you may get may seem like a win at the time before a terrible accident happens but it definitely wasn’t worth the boat and almost our lives. Safe fishing everyone and hopefully you guys have a better season then we will.

Back