3 boaters lucky to be alive !

I agree it’s dangerous and most of us take a ton of chances even when we don’t know it. I’ve been dragging my feet on signing up for Canadian power and sail squadron but need too. Be safe everyone and what life jackets were you guys wearing? I’m assuming that’s what really saved your lives?
i would suggest svop

i would suggest svop
I agree but when it all comes right down to it, it's up to the captain to follow those rules, laws, guidlines etc.. We can all read a thousand books, watch a thousand videos, listen to the advice from a thousand people but all of that stuff doesn't matter one bit if the captain doesn't practice those things. I saw it first hand with a friend I took the courses with. He was hyped up to have all the knowledge, bought himself a boat to charter out of and started his own business fresh out of the courses. My friend was dead later that same year. He did not practice what he learned. He was out in too bad of conditions for his boat, his boat was over loaded, he did not have enough life jackets on board for everyone on the boat. He did however give all of the life jackets to his clients and they all survived when his boat capsized. He could not swim and the water was too cold to keep himself afloat cause his muscles failed to work in the frigged waters. He sunk to his death only 200 meters from shore. He left behind a wife, sons and daughters, a large close family, and a lot of friends.
If a captain isn't a safe captain before courses, chances are he still will be an unsafe captain after the courses.

Some of the crap I see posted on this forum by guys bragging about how they survived boating un safely is sickening and if they knew how stupid it made them look they may think twice before typing. What makes it even worse is they are bragging about it while telling us they did so with friends/family under their watch on their boats.

I have taken all the courses, PCOC, Power Squadron, SVOP, MED 3 now MED A4 I believe, Advanced Radar, off shore marine navigation level 1 and 2. All great courses and instructors, but by far the best course for the money was the Canadian Power Squadron course.

It's a dangerous sport. Stuff happens, must have been scary. Hopefully you'll get insurance and get back on the water. You'll probably be over the top safe from now on. Good luck.
Did you manage to save any gear, fish, etc.
Didn’t manage to really salvage anything just went back and picked up the trash that washed ashore and will be doing so for the next while. Although we did get back 3 of the 17 Plano boxes we had on the boat filled to the brim with gear back. Waiting to hear back about insurance, didn’t have boat insurance but some gear and such will hopefully be covered under homeowners insurance. Did get our 9 lingcod from the day before. And yes definitely going to be very extra cautious before heading out on the water next and for the rest of my fishing career. A tough lesson was learned about how fast the ocean can flip ya upside down(literally) and make ya feel helpless frantically trying to swim in the water. And I will, as well as the other guys that were on the boat will be taking this experience with a grain of salt and greatly learn from it and all become better boaters and more safe on the water because of it, a hard way to learn but what we learnt from this experience and our water safety moving forward is going to be engrained in us forever. As well as hopefully this will help other boaters learn and also take extra safety precautions on the water and always be paying attention because I’ll tell ya it happens when ya don’t expect it.

Safe fishing everyone.

Last edited:
Didn’t manage to really salvage anything just went back and picked up the trash that washed ashore and will be doing so for the next while. Although we did get back 3 of the 17 Plano boxes we had on the boat filled to the brim with gear back. Waiting to hear back about insurance, didn’t have boat insurance but some gear and such will hopefully be covered under homeowners insurance. Did get our 9 lingcod from the day before. And yes definitely going to be very extra cautious before heading out on the water next and for the rest of my fishing career. A tough lesson was learned about how fast the ocean can flip ya upside down(literally) and make ya feel helpless frantically trying to swim in the water. And I will, as well as the other guys that were on the boat will be taking this experience with a grain of salt and greatly learn from it and all become better boaters and more safe on the water because of it, a hard way to learn but what we learnt from this experience and our water safety moving forward is going to be engrained in us forever. As well as hopefully this will help other boaters learn and also take extra safety precautions on the water and always be paying attention because I’ll tell ya it happens when ya don’t expect it.

Safe fishing everyone.

17 tackle boxes?!

Were the boaters wearing PFDs? If so, that’s very likely why they didn’t drown.

For those who don’t know, that shore area is very well-guarded by rocks; same as much of the west coast. I had a hairy time there myself, in the mid-70’s, on a commercial troller coming back from Big Bank to Ucluelet. We could not see our way. Most of our electronics were dead (boat was a POS and owner was a fool), fog was like pea soup, and night was closing in. We had no radar, Loran, or depth sounder, and GPS wasn’t invented yet. All we had were our eyes, our ears (listening to Amphitrite Point foghorn), paper chart, spotlight, and our trolling gear. Ahead dead slow. I was in the stern, repeatedly lowering a line until the cannonball hit bottom, and shouting our depth to the skipper, as he looked at the chart and out his window for waves breaking on the rocks. Suddenly, at the same time as I shouted out a sharply shallowing depth, we both saw a rock and surging white waves, just a few metres ahead. Full astern, then turned to port a short distance, then back to starboard, and repeated the process. We made it into harbour, never even seeing Amphitrite light.

Thanks for reading an old guy’s memory, and remember “there’s nothing out there until Japan”, so there’s 7,000 km for weather systems to build up before hitting our coast. I still remember my dad telling me that, over 60 years ago. Funny how some things stick in our memory, eh? I always remember that, when I see videos of ignorant tourists standing out on the rocks “storm watching.”

Be safe.

Is this the boat that the 3 were on? Almost looks like a bay boat or flats boat, but possibly the sides were smashed off by the time the video was taken.
No wasn’t a bay boat but it does look like that in the video lol, sides got smashed up. Was a 21 foot Larson deep v centre console. 25 in transom and high sides especially up front.

i would suggest svop
The svop is pretty damn basic, honestly not a ton more than knowing the info on the boaters exam, some right of way info and the most important part I thought was the part on emergencies and cold water immersion, even tho it’s very short. Your teacher plays a big roll too based on if they talk about things outside the scope of the course or go over their own situations they’ve faced on the water. The med courses are changing and I think they offer a lot more life saving information. But in the end it doesn’t matter how much knowledge someone is given, if they are prone to make stupid and risky decisions it’s really only a matter of time. The ones who think they know it all or have a superiority complex and think they can win over Mother Nature are just as dangerous as those who have zero experience.

No wasn’t a bay boat but it does look like that in the video lol, sides got smashed up. Was a 21 foot Larson deep v centre console. 25 in transom and high sides especially up front.
Hi James Glad you and your crew are OK You can always replace stuff, but loosing someone is life changing . take Care

... But in the end it doesn’t matter how much knowledge someone is given, if they are prone to make stupid and risky decisions it’s really only a matter of time. The ones who think they know it all or have a superiority complex and think they can win over Mother Nature are just as dangerous as those who have zero experience.
Like on the job: statistically, the trades persons most at risk are the inexperienced workers. The second most: the old guys - because of complacency.

I was out fishing recently with 3 old buddies - two in their 70's with heart issues. I was the only one wearing a PFD. If any of them went into the water, it would have been fatal.

Back