3 boaters lucky to be alive !

We were planning on going in soon just trying to get a couple more ling.
Well Im glad your ok as it could have been a lot worse ...

So please head the warnings if its forecasted for gales sure it might go to storm force but is a fish really worth it???
this is what I originally said ... and ill say it again a FISH is not worth it there will be other days

I was out on the boat that capsized, shouldn’t have been out in that weather but we had booked a cabin for the weekend with no refund with some other guys so we were going out. We were out Saturday morning as it wasn’t very windy till about 11 but the storm off the coast was still producing some big swells. We were planning on going in soon just trying to get a couple more ling. We were fishing a breather rock off the shore and stupidly got too close as the rock was deep enough in the water that only the bigger swells would show where the rock was. We were trying to find where we were in regards to the rock and all of a sudden a huge swell came in and we got caught sideways behind the rock and the swell hit the rock and just curled right on top of us. Happened so fast. Moral of the story is don’t go out unless your sure of the weather, the couple fish you may get may seem like a win at the time before a terrible accident happens but it definitely wasn’t worth the boat and almost our lives. Safe fishing everyone and hopefully you guys have a better season then we will.
Good on you for coming on here to tell the story. Crazy to hear it was as simple as a couple more fish.

I've almost been caught not paying attention fishing too near to rocks in big swell too. Might be where the fish are sometimes, but it's also the danger zone. Especially people used to fishing protected waters, the swell can really move you near rocks, sometimes faster than you can react.

I was out on the boat that capsized, shouldn’t have been out in that weather but we had booked a cabin for the weekend with no refund with some other guys so we were going out. We were out Saturday morning as it wasn’t very windy till about 11 but the storm off the coast was still producing some big swells. We were planning on going in soon just trying to get a couple more ling. We were fishing a breather rock off the shore and stupidly got too close as the rock was deep enough in the water that only the bigger swells would show where the rock was. We were trying to find where we were in regards to the rock and all of a sudden a huge swell came in and we got caught sideways behind the rock and the swell hit the rock and just curled right on top of us. Happened so fast. Moral of the story is don’t go out unless your sure of the weather, the couple fish you may get may seem like a win at the time before a terrible accident happens but it definitely wasn’t worth the boat and almost our lives. Safe fishing everyone and hopefully you guys have a better season then we will.
Thank you for stepping up and coming on here and sharing the experience. There’s a good a lesson in this for us all. Glad you guys made it ok, the boat can be replaced easy enough.

I've almost been caught not paying attention fishing too near to rocks in big swell too. Might be where the fish are sometimes, but it's also the danger zone. Especially people used to fishing protected waters, the swell can really move you near rocks, sometimes faster than you can react.
Definitely it was so very fast, or second we were in 60 feet of water 100 feet away from the rock and then all of a sudden were under water. West coast is nothing like the inside. The ocean is merciless

Been on the water most of my 61 years. I fish 100+ days a season, much of it offshore. Like Nog says, the sea can be relentless and conditions can change in a few minutes. I've had many experiences on the water. Most situations where the sea conditions turn nasty, I've been able to anticipate the shift and get off the water safely. Been pretty concerned a few times, and once thought I might not make it. Those experiences have taught me to do everything I can ahead of each trip to prepare, get good information, and do my best to make better decisions.

Each trip I always check websites like Windy, PredictWind, check Enviro Can marine weather, and look up the ocean buoy reports for my area and others further up the hill so I can build a mental picture of what is driving some of the sea conditions that may not be apparent by checking local conditions alone. Lighthouse reports also help. But the biggest tool is to be constantly watching sea conditions and if things start shifting never be afraid to call it. One last fish just ain't worth it.

Glad you guys made it through, tough lesson to learn and hopefully will help in decision making moving forward.

Spent many of my early years working search and rescue with Coast Guard from Rupert to Vic, mostly on the west coast, an old salty dog I worked with said to me one day when I was being a young punk "Respect the ocean and Mother Nature kid as they have absolutely no respect for you"

I've played this in my head many times when I was thinking about "going for it" some days, helped me make the smart decision

Yes, the influence of rock on swells can be extremely tricky. Waves ricocheting back and slamming the ones coming in.

Ive beach casted off of those rocks all along that area many times. Super dangerous place to even be on the rocks for casting, let alone trying to boat near them. The kelp beds are thick in there also. Glad everyone is alive. One slip and bang your head on those sharp rocks could turn out to be game over. I would say you guys got a get out of jail free card. Thank god everyone is ok

Yea it was a 21 foot Larson centre console. Bran new Merc 150
Plenty of Boat and Engine , gotta doubt the Captains Ocean Smarts , not trying to bash anyone and Thank the Lord alls safe ! just wouldnt fishing with him again EVER . Stay Safe and I Recommend ;

Plenty of Boat and Engine , gotta doubt the Captains Ocean Smarts , not trying to bash anyone and Thank the Lord alls safe ! just wouldnt fishing with him again EVER . Stay Safe and I Recommend ;

This has probably happened a 1000 times where the situation ended with better results and the captain just wiping the sweat off their foreheads saying they will never do it again.

James is a young guy from Campbell River. He is a fishy guy. He saved up and moved up into this boat and now it is gone, along with a lot of his gear and almost his family. Its been a very hard lesson and one he wont soon forget !! I would get in a boat with him at the wheel tomorrow.. He now has what we like to call "experience"

Who among us hasn't put ourselves in bad situations, I know I have and I'm lucky to have come out of some of them alive ! As is James.

Keep On Fishing !! I am sure he will be back on the water one day and show us all how to catch fish !

CR Greg

Whenever I see these I always gringe as and I hate to say it the "younger" is I can do anything and ill prove it to you . in the 40 + years ive been on water and most of it guiding, I have seen so many go out when they shouldn't in lil boats , ive heard it all its ok I have a zodiac its ok its a boston whaler and ive said well I have a 26 fiberglass and I came in because of it..

One time this macho man was going out in his " boston whaler " a 20 rampage and his GF in a lil summer outfit . I said hey its not nice out there I came in and its like 3 footers and tide ... off they go. I asked the girl about a week later how it went !!!! ??? she was still a lil mad as she said they came around the spit took a greeny over the top she was soaked and crying she was that scared...she told me if he had of listened me but NNNOOO she said.
Maybe its just me but ive always errored on the side of too much caution, As I had a buddy die when I was very young in my career from too rough of water. it kinda scared me its one thing to be out there and coming in its one thing when you ignore a gale warning or hurricane.

Point is I glad the guys were not another stat and they came out of it ok . Fishing is supposed to be fun and relaxing there will always be another day to fish trust me on that....

It's a dangerous sport. Stuff happens, must have been scary. Hopefully you'll get insurance and get back on the water. You'll probably be over the top safe from now on. Good luck.
Did you manage to save any gear, fish, etc.

It's a dangerous sport. Stuff happens, must have been scary. Hopefully you'll get insurance and get back on the water. You'll probably be over the top safe from now on. Good luck.
Did you manage to save any gear, fish, etc.
If fishing is dangerous you are doing it wrong.

Back