Thanks! How long a leader are you running? I've tried a variation of this but it tangled when we hit slack, but it might have been how I was storing my pre-tied hali rigs.

This system works decent in shallower or areas with out much current, let it down real slow or else it just tangles and your wasting your time. Spreaders are not perfect but when used properly don’t tangle.

I agree that a lot of junk from Gibbs though.

Anchored for halibut this morning prior to the wind coming up. Only managed to get one small halibut that I was going to release . My brand new Gibbs Spreader bar did it for me when the clip snapped. First time in the water and lesson learned, replace the clip on the leader side. Good thing it was only a small fish or I would be really choked. Anyone else finding the spreader coast lock style clips are crap? What are you replacing them with.
Gibbs delta gear is absolute trash . Won’t spend another nickel in my lifetime fishing that junk . Terribly marketed aswell

Thanks! How long a leader are you running? I've tried a variation of this but it tangled when we hit slack, but it might have been how I was storing my pre-tied hali rigs.
3’ would be standard for me
This is more of a circle hook setup though, right?
I’ve run it with j hooks, trebles, and circles
looks the same as a sturgeon rig
exact same I use a smaller swivel and snap for the weight so if it hangs up I can usually tie off to a cleat and break it

Anymore questions we should probably start a new thread to get out of reports section tho

Tough day of fishing for us today. We got a few bites but kept only 1 hatch for my buds bbq from the morning then out for a jig for the elusive bottom feeders. 4hrs not a nibble and the bait looked better at the end of the day. Lots of boats out there and only my crappy report. Who got the 50 lber today? Good luck on the weekend folks

Out of Oak Bay. Endured a couple of hours of lumpy seas bottom bouncing herring out in the shipping lanes. Not even a dogfish. Jigged closer in an got two good sized lingcod and a clipped 6lb chinook. Two early to keep either. Heard of at least one bigger spring caught on the flats.

Out of Oak Bay. Endured a couple of hours of lumpy seas bottom bouncing herring out in the shipping lanes. Not even a dogfish. Jigged closer in an got two good sized lingcod and a clipped 6lb chinook. Two early to keep either. Heard of at least one bigger spring caught on the flats.

Anchored for halibut this morning prior to the wind coming up. Only managed to get one small halibut that I was going to release . My brand new Gibbs Spreader bar did it for me when the clip snapped. First time in the water and lesson learned, replace the clip on the leader side. Good thing it was only a small fish or I would be really choked. Anyone else finding the spreader coast lock style clips are crap? What are you replacing them with.
I’ve replaced the clips on the spreader bar with small quick links. Work great

The last time I was pulled like this it was a 28 lb salmon. This time who knows :(
I located a huge school of bait and fish about 1.5 km out from Saxe pt. Jigged up some herring.
Rigged one up and dropped it to the bottom. Then the ride went into reverse! :)

Back