Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is open for Oak Bay flats ( Area 19-1 and 19-3) where I hooked a nice 14 lb hatchery chinook on Thursday am (at 70 feet on the rigger)

Open in specific areas in area 19 for May only at this point. You can subscribe to DFO email updates /notices (FN
Oh sweet! A 14# hatch on the flats? I thought the flats was in 19-4 between Trial and Disco. Is that area called something else?

Morning fish out of Cattle point. Fed some Lingcod a bag of Mackerel but were unable to pin a big one, then moved on to salmon and got one clipped around 10# and missed another. Sub 90' on Herring aid Skinny G. 3-4" sandlance in belly. Know of a few others caught in the mid teens. Some nice Springs around and many are clipped.

Got Zero crabs in my once honey hole. What the heck is going on? Two season ago I was throwing back 7" dungies there.

Morning fish out of Cattle point. Fed some Lingcod a bag of Mackerel but were unable to pin a big one, then moved on to salmon and got one clipped around 10# and missed another. Sub 90' on Herring aid Skinny G. 3-4" sandlance in belly. Know of a few others caught in the mid teens. Some nice Springs around and many are clipped.

Got Zero crabs in my once honey hole. What the heck is going on? Two season ago I was throwing back 7" dungies there.
My buddy was sending me photos of lots of 7 incher dungees a few weeks back. After I struck out. I think they are out there. That’s fishing, glad you got dinner

Last edited:
Fantastic fishing on the Oak Bay flats today. From 11 to 2 today, kept 3, biggest 16#, lost another teener near the boat and missed a few more bites. Didn't see a single adipose fin today.

Attachments

• 9BA3AB38-AA1E-4583-83D1-0448EAC1F4FB.jpeg
    9BA3AB38-AA1E-4583-83D1-0448EAC1F4FB.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 185

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0426-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Areas 17 to 19 - Management Measures - Effective May 3, 2023

As part of the longer-term work under the Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative (PSSI) to explore mass marking (MM) and mark-selective fisheries (MSFs) as part of an integrated management approach, the Department is announcing new pilot recreational MSFs for 2023. These openings are located away from primary migratory routes or during times when there is a low prevalence of Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern and increased abundance of other stocks including hatchery-marked Chinook. In addition to creel surveys (dockside interviews and overflight effort counts) and the iREC reporting program that will be conducted, these pilot MSF openings will be subject to enhanced monitoring including biological sampling and independent verification of at-sea releases. These MSFs will also be subject to evaluation of available post-season information and potential adjustments may be made prior to reopening in Spring 2024.

The new pilot MSF are as follows:

Victoria:

Effective 00:01 hours May 3, 2023, until 23:59 hours May 31,2023, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 19-1, 19-3, 19-4, 19-5 and 19-6.

Reminder: Unmarked Chinook may not be retained. The Chinook minimum size in Subareas 19-1, 19-3, and 19-4 is 45 cm, and the minimum size in Subareas 19-5 and 19-6 is 62 cm.

If prawning off the waterfront make sure you have at least 10lbs or more weight in each trap. The currents depending on where/when you drop it and for how long can be strong. Many have lost traps over the years.

Kaelc, we put 2 traps down last week at about 285 ft out off Albert head but got nothing. As mentioned be aware of the current. We lost a trap last year but found it on the rocks in Race Passage a few days later. On a fishing report side went out Wednesday 4-8pm had 2 bites ,one out by the freighter 6pm and the fish o the day on our last tac 730pm on route to our traps in front of Fleming launch. Both were hatch about 6-7 lbs. My crab traps door was held open by some kelp somehow making it an in and out restaurant. @#%* it. Was a beauty aft fishing with the cruise ships, 3 left and 2 came in.

Attachments

• 7C1419CB-65CD-4FCB-9523-319A19F967D2.jpeg
    7C1419CB-65CD-4FCB-9523-319A19F967D2.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 43
Had a first for me yesterday,got about a 40 lb. halibut at 9:00,tied it up with a rope through the gills/mouth and let it bleed out off the back of the boat as usual routine.An hour later I look down and see the butt drifting away behind the boat.It must have some how thrashed enough to split it's jaw to release the rope.Made a poor attempt to snag it with my jigging rig but no luck.Terrible waste and disappointed passengers.It was the only fish for us yesterday.

Had a first for me yesterday,got about a 40 lb. halibut at 9:00,tied it up with a rope through the gills/mouth and let it bleed out off the back of the boat as usual routine.An hour later I look down and see the butt drifting away behind the boat.It must have some how thrashed enough to split it's jaw to release the rope.Made a poor attempt to snag it with my jigging rig but no luck.Terrible waste and disappointed passengers.It was the only fish for us yesterday.
I had that happen once a buddy was showing me how great his system was with these big zap straps…. My fish stay in the boat now

Make sure you cut it near the tail and break the bone, usually that helps with the thrashing and of course bleed it out.

Picture for reference

Attachments

• IMG_2947.png
    IMG_2947.png
    697.1 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back