Status
Not open for further replies.
Out today, last chance. Nothing much happening, for me, along the waterfront so turned out into deeper water south of Beacon Hill, dropped the line down to 160' on the downrigger in 300' on the sounder and was rewarded with a slim 9# clipped doe (65 cm). Bit of an odd day for tides, ebbing all day. Marine weather provided a Gale Warning but the water was calm and light winds, few light rain showers. The cleaning table at Esquimalt was dry.

Went out for halibut fishing today since winds were light in the morning. Anchored up and waited... and waited... then the usual pattern, got a shark, got a skate, got a ratfish, THEN got a hali.

Called on 68 to see if anyone else was getting bites. No replies, did a radio check to make sure my VHF was working and got a nice call back from Cheanuh marina. Since no one seemed to walk to talk I decided not to pass on the info on what I caught my hali with. Saw lots of boats out there so hopping others got a hali or tow as well.

Caught ours on herring with a green/blue hootchie off pedder area.

Started late and got to the pick at 9. There was about 30 boats east of race. Unfortunately, my spot was already taken and I had to find a spot around the area. Decided a spot near, it was just flat bottom and had no structure. Told the team that today might not be promising. Got our first one #20 at 11:30, then two more in the next hour. All chickens. Lost a trap and one trap had 3 keepers.

Attachments

• AA942C8C-9489-44E9-BD40-175AC89CD237.png
    AA942C8C-9489-44E9-BD40-175AC89CD237.png
    744.2 KB · Views: 147
Every boat as we were coming at |Esquimalt had halibut, except us. We were drift fishing and had one heavy bite and a sablefish. 10 large crabs in two traps but most too soft.
Glad to be offshore in the sunshine while nasty weather pounded home.

Started late and got to the pick at 9. There was about 30 boats east of race. Unfortunately, my spot was already taken and I had to find a spot around the area. Decided a spot near, it was just flat bottom and had no structure. Told the team that today might not be promising. Got our first one #20 at 11:30, then two more in the next hour. All chickens. Lost a trap and one trap had 3 keepers.
Nice work. I was going to go, then chickened out so no chicken for me. What colour float and location?

Every boat as we were coming at |Esquimalt had halibut, except us. We were drift fishing and had one heavy bite and a sablefish. 10 large crabs in two traps but most too soft.
Glad to be offshore in the sunshine while nasty weather pounded home.
A sablefish??? That's amazing! How deep? I thought they were only in 500+

If it looked like this I was told it was a sablefish. We caught ours in 240’ off metchosin area aswell. Couple years ago.View attachment 91317
A pal and I caught a number of these guys in November in Whirl Bay in 130-150'. Small, though. Trout sized. We still kept a few and they are definitely tasty. It's not that unusual to catch juveniles in the fall and early winter down there.

Happy Easter! Web cams showed flat calm so I through my stuff together and got down to Esquimalt at 9:30. Gorgeous off Victoria. Wish I'd got up earlier. Tried towing a plug for something different but nothing. Switched over to spoons and got two springs in about half hour. ~8# and 4#s.
The forecasted weather was moving in fast, waves were building so in I went in 11:30.

East of Discovery. One big Dog, a small flatfish, a rock and a Ratfish (head only). Three other boats in the area but assume they weren't doing great as they weren't heading in. 28 crabs in two pots, but only one worth keeping. I clearly suck at halibut fishing.

East of Discovery. One big Dog, a small flatfish, a rock and a Ratfish (head only). Three other boats in the area but assume they weren't doing great as they weren't heading in. 28 crabs in two pots, but only one worth keeping. I clearly suck at halibut fishing.
You are out there swinging the bat. Thanks for the report. Nice to know the crabs are out there some day.

my herring bait for Hali disappears fast last 2 trips. Either gone entirely or flesh seemingly eaten down to the bones and head. Not a result of rod tip wiggles as near as I can figure out. Could thisbe sea lice? If it is, is moving location the only workable option? Thanks.

my herring bait for Hali disappears fast last 2 trips. Either gone entirely or flesh seemingly eaten down to the bones and head. Not a result of rod tip wiggles as near as I can figure out. Could thisbe sea lice? If it is, is moving location the only workable option? Thanks.
Sea lice

Could be anything pecking away at it. I once reeled up three crab on my salmon bellies while fishing for Hali at 250 feet. They would cut up a herring in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back