Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out off Beachy Head today in and out of the fog. We were kept busy on the rods and kept a few nice ones. Back at the table Holy Mackerel was the word. Not mine but caught off the head on rubber strip while fishing for coho. Tks
for sharin the info guys.

Attachments

• DB8C1587-6BAC-47CA-A7E7-522DF0FF8237.jpeg
    DB8C1587-6BAC-47CA-A7E7-522DF0FF8237.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 833747F2-4C5F-44BC-A90C-D74BC03F34B7.jpeg
    833747F2-4C5F-44BC-A90C-D74BC03F34B7.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 156
Out from 8:00am until 12:30am today. Beauty sunny day with slight SE breeze making for a small chop. Only 13 boats visible to us out there, so quite the contrast to Sunday!!

Anyway first 90 minutes were great and we were kept busy. Retained our two unclipped in fairly short order and proceed to release another 7 or 8 unclipped. All on pink/UV hootchie and vintage McKnight spoon in 450-500’ of water off Secretary. No hatchery fish among them. Then we began getting pestered by little shakers and the coho went off the boil by 10am. All went quiet and we tried various depths to no avail.

Around 11:00am decided to take off the spoon and put a glo mint tulip hootchie on and dropped it to 90’ and got a hit before I had set the rod. Wouldn’t ya know it but yet another unclipped coho! So that makes two trips without encountering a single hatchery fish, although Sunday maybe doesn’t count as it was so slow we only boated two unclipped in 5 hours!! :(

Put the glo hootchie down again and got another hit right away. Very curious fight ensured with some strong pulling. Big surprise it was a pacific jack mackerel! Never caught one before. Got four more hits on that hootchie and boated two more mackerel. The bigger one (see pic) gave a surprisingly strong tugging fight.

We are going to try some mackerel recipes and maybe smoke one. Back in the U.K. people eat Atlantic mackerel all the time and I am sure these will taste even better than I remember those did. (We have filleted one already and it has a fairly dark reddish looking flesh which reminds me of tuna. No surprise there since tuna and mackerel are related.)

Very nice day all in all, even though hatchery coho are mysteriously uncatchable for us. LOL :D
PXL_20231005_202517899.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
Out from 8:00am until 12:30am today. Beauty sunny day with slight SE breeze making for a small chop. Only 13 boats visible to us out there, so quite the contrast to Sunday!!

Anyway first 90 minutes were great and we were kept busy. Retained our two unclipped in fairly short order and proceed to release another 7 or 8 unclipped. All on pink/UV hootchie and vintage McKnight spoon in 450-500’ of water off Secretary. No hatchery fish among them. Then we began getting pestered by little shakers and the coho went off the boil by 10am. All went quiet and we tried various depths to no avail.

Around 11:00am decided to take of the spoon and put a glo mint tulip hootchie on and dropped it to 90’ and got a hit before I had set the rod. Wouldn’t ya know it but yet another unclipped coho! So that makes two trips without encountering a single hatchery fish, although Sunday maybe doesn’t count as it was so slow we only boated two unclipped in 5 hours!! :(

Put the glo hootchie down again and got another hit right away. Very curious fight ensured with some strong pulling. Big surprise it was a pacific jack mackerel! Never caught one before. Got four more hits on that hootchie and boated two more mackerel. The bigger one (see pic) gave a surprisingly strong tugging fight.

We are going to try some mackerel recipes and maybe smoke one. Back in the U.K. people eat Atlantic mackerel all the time and I am sure these will taste even better than I remember those did. (We have filleted one already and it has a fairly dark reddish looking flesh which reminds me of tuna. No surprise there since tuna and mackerel are related.)

Very nice day all in all, even though hatchery coho are mysteriously uncatchable for us. LOL :D
View attachment 98607
Nice work Roland!

I caught a half dozen of those through the summer. Filited them all and gave to customers and said good luck lol

I went out solo from 7:30-10:30 off Beechey. Lots of fish to the boat and I ended up with 1 wild and 2 hatchery. I haven’t been out for about 10 days (family obligations) and I didn’t have a good idea of the current size of the wild, so I kept one about 6 lbs and then regretted it as I was releasing 9-11 lb fish after that. I was using a blue and teal hootchie on a Scotty butterfly and a spoon on the other side which made for lots of fun when those wild hit, sans flasher. Out again tomorrow and now I know what to keep!

I bet the flat fish would love it, if you place some down on hook for them

Mackerel show up in our waters, especially on the outer west V.I. coast, in a strong El Nino and often stay around for a couple of seasons.
Once the next La Nina comes back the Mackerel will be gone.
They are ferocious feeders and are not good for our salmon smolt survival.
I have seen a few of these cycles in the past.
"After seven years characterized by La Niña conditions, the World Meteorological Organization announced in July that the surface temperature of the tropical Pacific Ocean has warmed again, signaling the switch to an El Niño event."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back