Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooke is on fire for everything we were done in no time like others said so went in TIGHT to possesion in front of the flood 2 nice springs let go to swim fun group from a shop in town. My first mate ready to go this early am...
1690765741878.png

1690765811263.png

Out of Cheanuh with my 13yr old grandson early this morning. First pass in the bay and he lands a small clipped spring. (6lbs). Few more passes and nothing but small shakers so headed out to the mouth of the bay and couldn’t keep the shakers off. Headed out a little further and got into the pinks. Kept 6 in short order. He was handling both rods until he got tired. Lost quite a few with several doubles. Headed back into the bay to try for another spring but ended up landing a clipped coho. ( 7lbs) Herring aid skinny G out fished anything else we tried. The young lad will sleep good tonight.

Heading over to Sooke to fish on 8/12-8/19. Appreciate the reports. QQ—is there a rental car company in Sooke? Understand there is a taxi service. Can’t stay on boat anymore at Marina which sucks…thanks!

Heading over to Sooke to fish on 8/12-8/19. Appreciate the reports. QQ—is there a rental car company in Sooke? Understand there is a taxi service. Can’t stay on boat anymore at Marina which sucks…thanks!
what marina bud?

Funny that with all the liveaboard sailboats in there. place is a dive now , not a fun place like it used to be. I dont think there is anyplace that rents cars in sooke, if your stuck let me know and i can probally help ya out to store etc if you need a ride.

SO ON TO REPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH AUG 1 WE FINALLY GET TO PLAY... and keep chinook.
Quess I should have followed my own advice and throw down pink gear LOL
But springs tacs I did and got 4 nice ones today lost a few others but all was great. these people are the ranchers from alberta that let me hunt on their land so always a good time biat on one side spoon on other pinks came in waves. no coho today? tried all depths 60 feet was the ticket for me today ... Hope everyone had a good day

Good luck Wolf
1690947526189.png

First day of the slot, so took a kick at it. Got out just before the flood started. Worked the Trap area and picked up 3 non-clipped Coho. Lots of small stuff so didn't see many nets out. We picked up a keeper size, maybe 7 or 8 lbs that we released. Eventually made our way to Beechy where we picked up a 76 cm white on a Skinny G Herring Aid at 69 ft on the rigger. Had a couple more hits on spoons but that was it for us. Talked to a couple that was at the Trap earlier in the morning who picked up two in the slot in short order. Spoke to a couple other guys that were at Otter where the action seemed to be better overall.

20230801_151119.jpg

20230801_081016.jpg

20230801_090941.jpg

There is no fish at otter ask the englishman !!!! LOL

Had to work for them a bit today holy shakers!!!! but managed 2 nice ones ill post pics later
Yep, glad to leave the holy places to the fishing gods and their hundreds of adoring disciples.

We are happy to spend our time in other places where we are sometimes successful and, should I hook one, I do not have to worry about being cut off by the surging crowds inhabiting the place of worship they consider to be theirs!! LOL

Funny that with all the liveaboard sailboats in there. place is a dive now , not a fun place like it used to be. I dont think there is anyplace that rents cars in sooke, if your stuck let me know and i can probally help ya out to store etc if you need a ride.

SO ON TO REPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH AUG 1 WE FINALLY GET TO PLAY... and keep chinook.
Quess I should have followed my own advice and throw down pink gear LOL
But springs tacs I did and got 4 nice ones today lost a few others but all was great. these people are the ranchers from alberta that let me hunt on their land so always a good time biat on one side spoon on other pinks came in waves. no coho today? tried all depths 60 feet was the ticket for me today ... Hope everyone had a good day

Good luck Wolf
View attachment 95600
Thanks Roy. We’ll be good with Taxi but much appreciated.

Finally no wind. Got out to my favorite spot, in the kayak, for opening day Tuesday. I was out on Monday as well, paddled for 5 hours sunrise to current change, and couldn't stop catching small fish. Kept a hatch coho and a small pink. Ebb current, didn't wander too far from shore. No big springs for me monday. Decided to have dicipline Tuesday and waited for the flood. Got on the water crack of 11:00 with a wind line looming. Didn't wait long before my first chinook of the season jumped on my line. Thanks to the boats around me for the space to play and land a 79 cm beauty. And Roy even gave me coaching (keep your tip up!) Laffs. 21 pulls, green on green small anchovy. Later I was rewarded with a second chinook (hooked right next to profisher) much bigger than the first, pulled me upstream for half a minute while line was just buzzing off my reel. What a feeling to play a big chinook on a kayak. Thanks again to the fishermen who gave me the space to play that beauty. Got to the boat way over the 80 cm mark on my paddle shaft, and released with barely a touch. 20230801_133502.jpg20230731_055001.jpg

Fishing the late mornings and afternoons right now during the full moon week. Lots of action… actually to much action. We managed a 15 pound Chinook and lost another a few minutes after getting the gear back in the water. But pinks and small shakers would not stay away. It became impossible to hold a course in the stiff westerly with 3 lines constantly needing to be worked. I gave up and just took the 3 person limit of pinks and got out of there…. frustrated. I think I miss the seiners mopping up some of the pinks. lol At least I haven’t used a piece of bait yet this year… that saves $$$ and lots of rigging time.

Greetings. Thursday August 03. Last two days just outside Becher near Bedford Islands yielded 3 chinooks over 10 pounds and lots of clipped, legal, but albeit small clipped Cohos. Some bigger and beautiful wild Coho got a a reprieve. Never encountered any Pinks. The 12 and 10 pound Chinooks at slack tide today both swallowed a green / white hootchie 5 minutes apart at 65 feet. Saw a large flock of of white, or pale Pelicans today just off Bentinck on our way back to Pedder. Are Pelicans a regular sight anybody? Great day on the water, much less tempestuous than Wednesday. regards.

Headed out front mid morning on a solo trip to catch the flood , got one side down to 60' and immediately popped the pin and screaming line , thought i was sealed but after a good 150 yds it turned an ran towards me right on the surface . Got him to the side of the boat an released a high 30's " honker" to hope fully make it up the river.
Felt like sooke back in the 80's again and nice to see the odd tyee still around.
Ended the morning with a 80cm and couple humpys

Attachments

• 20230803_131910.jpg
    20230803_131910.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 59
Finally a day without the big afternoon westerly while I was there. Still to much pink action for my liking but at least I wasn't fighting the boat as well. We released an over 80cm that was likely 23 pounds and managed to land a 79 cm and one slightly smaller. Also lost another...topped up with 14 pinks for the 16 limit. First 1/2 of the trip was non stop small springs on the gear mostly 2 at a time...then as the flood kicked in they slowed right down and the pinks took over. You can tell the southern residents haven't been around as the mature springs are staying shallow this summer. 30-45 ft has been best for me...where as when the whales swing through regularly like in years past Chinook seem to favour 70-90 ft or deeper.

Finally a day without the big afternoon westerly while I was there. Still to much pink action for my liking but at least I wasn't fighting the boat as well. We released an over 80cm that was likely 23 pounds and managed to land a 79 cm and one slightly smaller. Also lost another...topped up with 14 pinks for the 16 limit. First 1/2 of the trip was non stop small springs on the gear mostly 2 at a time...then as the flood kicked in they slowed right down and the pinks took over. You can tell the southern residents haven't been around as the mature springs are staying shallow this summer. 30-45 ft has been best for me...where as when the whales swing through regularly like in years past Chinook seem to favour 70-90 ft or deeper.
We are finding chinook at the same depths up here in Renfrew, we caught 4 today at 32 and 39 feet on the rigger.

Started out this morning around 8am at the Head. Quickly landed a 78cm, 14lb spring. We trolled around the Head for a few hours, hitting pinks but trying to get more springs. We then went down to the Trap for the change but still nothing but pinks. Packed it in at 11am with the one spring and 11 pinks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_120820571.jpg
    IMG_20230804_120820571.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 51
Greetings. Thursday August 03. Last two days just outside Becher near Bedford Islands yielded 3 chinooks over 10 pounds and lots of clipped, legal, but albeit small clipped Cohos. Some bigger and beautiful wild Coho got a a reprieve. Never encountered any Pinks. The 12 and 10 pound Chinooks at slack tide today both swallowed a green / white hootchie 5 minutes apart at 65 feet. Saw a large flock of of white, or pale Pelicans today just off Bentinck on our way back to Pedder. Are Pelicans a regular sight anybody? Great day on the water, much less tempestuous than Wednesday. regards.
White Pelican are not common but they do show up once in a while. We had a whole flock that stayed the winter in Victoria Inner harbour 10? Years ago. They are following the feed from Northern Cali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back