Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished the Head at 9am today with glassy conditions finally. Within minutes, we had a triple header and it didn't slow down. We caught our limit of 12 pinks within 80 minutes and released 4 nice wild Coho. It was almost impossible to keep the net clear and rods in the water. The fish were from the surface down to 30ft.

Came back early from camping yesterday due to expected rain.

Went out today for an afternoon run. On the way out we passed by another boat from our club (the black hewescraft) who had just lost a ball and had no way of crimping his wire.

Luckily I happen to have 5 riggers onboard today (only time ever) and passed them one and a cannon ball/clip. Told them to follow me if they wanted to catch fish.

We then went to the head and I singled to a spot and started fishing. Both started getting into the pinks almost right away at 45ft on the riggers.

By our 3rd or 4th pink … disaster struck. I heard the sound of the reel screaming and looked at the person I was fishing with.

The reel was screaming out line and I thought it was a Chinook… when I looked behind the boat I saw a massive fipper break the surface the guy holding my rod and reel looked stunned and didn’t know what to do. I told him get his hands away from the handles.

I took the rod from him and that’s when I saw the fu(ker of a sealion pop his head up in the surface with the fish and my gear attached to it in his mouth.

I then tugged and luckily got my gear back…. But as I went to reel in I noticed my paddles were broken off and they who was holding them had cuts and bruises on his hands…

I said “and that is why they are called knuckle busters”

Recovered the gear by hand turning the reel by the spool and I pulled out a spare reel and reset gear.

Rest of the time was busy and we got east limits on pinks.

Turned back and headed home. Total time fishing was 1 1/2 hours even with our delays….

Now all I need to do is find a reel repair shop

Last edited:
FINALY a nice calm day woke up at my normal 4 am Pee break its just POURING rain, And i was happy about it as its so dry wish it rained for a few days leve at the crack of 8 am LOL and right awy its crazy good I did notice fish everywhere high so abandone the normal depths of 35 to 80 bring it up 15 to 30 feet needless to say right move triple headers doubles so much fun. normal pink squirts mint tulip AP spoon all produced dont think it realy matters.
Today was one of those magical days for sure and great to get the next generation into it at an age they will remember.

Attachments

• PXL_20230724_201744805.jpg
    PXL_20230724_201744805.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 241
  • PXL_20230724_200541616.jpg
    PXL_20230724_200541616.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 238
INSANE fishing right now is a understatement, linit of pinks in less then 2 hours as we lose and win .. Saw kids at other dock so excited from a days fishing, usual stuf pink squirts 28 inch leader try and use the thicker hooks I use what they call "blue" hooks as they are way thicker as the mouth of pinks as you know really dont have a lot of jaw and rip easily helps.
Good luck wolf

Out of Cheanuh this morning. Couple of passes in the bay and released a 10+ and a 15+ unclipped spring at the boat. My buddy also played a screamer for a few minutes before a long line release. Headed out of the bay and as Wolf said it was basically non stop action. Herring aid skinny G at 60ft on my side and a mixture of spoons and a pink squirt for my buddy at 70ft on the DR. 8 nice keeper pinks and no coho. Pulled the pin at 10am. Great morning.

Out today 10-12. Fished secretary. Limited out easily, was lucky to got one clipped from 70’. Lots of spring shakers if you go 70+. 0’-50’ - where all pinks are.

I have a question about chum. Is there there any technique/tricks to get those around Sooke area, particular time etc ?
Appreciate your input

I have a question about chum. Is there there any technique/tricks to get those around Sooke area, particular time etc ?
Appreciate your input
You wont see those to late sept and yes we get them but not very often they always seem to be tight lipped by the time they get to sooke. we get them with the normal coho gear when looking for coho

Crazy fishing these days...into a dozen springs this morning up to 23 pounds before 8:30 and a bunch of wild coho up to 7 pounds. Left that area and moved around the corner to join the 4 or 5 other boats and quickly got 10 pinks and 2 hatchery coho and released another spring for the clients limit. Left there and went back around the corner to where we started to get away from the pinks and released another 20 pound spring and a couple more wild coho. Six hours of constant action...I couldn't guess how many fish we played. I told them good luck with the Irec report....what a joke that is. How the hell is someone who has never fished the area before or fished salmon before going to accurately represent the day on the water? Why no one page work sheet to print with the license so I can call out what we are letting go and landing as we fish and they mark them down so at the end of the day they have all the info to pass on for the online recording.

Out Wednesday with no wind and lake like conditions. Hit the water about 7:15 and did a couple loops through the "keep" zone in Becher, then went to the head where we got 2 Chinooks about 8 and 12 pounds on a green Little Phat-E and a Herring Aid Wee Gee. We switched to a couple of old school Pink Squirts and tried anywhere from 35 to 60 feet. We landed one nice sized Pink, but couldn't keep the Coho off. We eventually moved into the 300 foot depth and tried to get our 4 clipped fish, but only managed 1 keeper out of a crazy amount of Coho brought to the boat. The stomach contents from the one we kept, in the picture below, shows what they were full of, but the Pink Squirt was nailing them at 48 on the rigger. It was a great day on the water and another reminder of what an amazing part of the world we live in!

20230727_072831.jpg

20230726_105622.jpg20230727_072759.jpg

Launched at Cheanuh a little after 8:00 Friday, surprisingly windy and choppy in Becher but started fishing with the other boats at the mouth of the bay, 40' on the downrigger with pink squirts behind a 'Madi' and a similar jellyfish type flashers. The shorter squirt with the glow head on a short, 26" leader was the better rig. The wind and the choppy water made fishing and especially landing fish a chore. After a couple of pinks and some released coho we pulled our lines and headed into the wind at Beechy. Surprisingly west of Beechy and near the trap shack, the wind was lighter and the water was quite smooth. Within another 20 minutes we had filled our day limit. Back at the cleaning table by 10:30 and first batch of fillets were in the brine at 3:00. First batch were in the smoker at 9:00 PM with the second going into the brine waiting their turn in the smoker at 8:00 AM this morning. Vintage fishing! (A bit less wind would be nicer!)

Launched at Cheanuh a little after 8:00 Friday, surprisingly windy and choppy in Becher but started fishing with the other boats at the mouth of the bay, 40' on the downrigger with pink squirts behind a 'Madi' and a similar jellyfish type flashers. The shorter squirt with the glow head on a short, 26" leader was the better rig. The wind and the choppy water made fishing and especially landing fish a chore. After a couple of pinks and some released coho we pulled our lines and headed into the wind at Beechy. Surprisingly west of Beechy and near the trap shack, the wind was lighter and the water was quite smooth. Within another 20 minutes we had filled our day limit. Back at the cleaning table by 10:30 and first batch of fillets were in the brine at 3:00. First batch were in the smoker at 9:00 PM with the second going into the brine waiting their turn in the smoker at 8:00 AM this morning. Vintage fishing! (A bit less wind would be nicer!)
Cool boat! Please throw some pics and info on the members boats thread. It will be nice to refresh that one and more will ad to it

Took my grandchildren (ages 6 and 8) out this morning just after 7:30 am. Fished in front of Sooke harbour between 200-400 feet of water. No rest for this Nonno... non stop action. Sweet depth was about 45’. Red flasher, pink hootchie with a short leader. They had the time of their lives!

Took my grandchildren (ages 6 and 8) out this morning just after 7:30 am. Fished in front of Sooke harbour between 200-400 feet of water. No rest for this Nonno... non stop action. Sweet depth was about 45’. Red flasher, pink hootchie with a short leader. They had the time of their lives!
Awesome so good to hear I think I saw you there yes crazy action , 3 springs as well and a beauty sockeye that all swam away with the quick flip of the gaff..I was surprised with fishing so good bet there was no more then 20 boats ...Guess they all worked today to take tuesday off. LOL

Lots of pinks and coho today. Two limits of decent sized coho and pinks in two hours after weeding through smaller fish. Unfortunately way too many shakers and 6" smolts. Wish I could figure out how to prevent the carnage on those. Spoons right on the surface did as well as stuff deeper off the downrigger. No decent chinook today. Herring aide spoons worked for everything. Stayed just South of Secretary.

We decided to launch out of Cheanuh at 8am today and get the start of the flood. Dropped the lines just west of Aldridge and fish were thick. It was impossible to keep more than one rod down with all the pinks. By 8:50am we had 12 in the boat. Didn't get any springs or coho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back