2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that’s my kind of haul. Couldn’t help but notice you are using the box traps. I’ve got the round netted traps, and I hear the metal box type seems to out perform the kind I have. Does that sound right? Might need to switch these out.
I think they mostly outfish the round ones because people don't take care of the round ones. They need maintenance to keep the netting tight. I've personally been a little more productive with these, but if you miss your mark you still get blanks. Which is what's probably happening to most guys that say the round ones don't fish well. Prawns move, it's never guaranteed. I'm generally happy with a 30 average per trap. This one turned out to be over 100 per trap. Lot's of info on the types of traps and techniques if you search the forum for threads related to that stuff. Back to reports? 😬

I think they mostly outfish the round ones because people don't take care of the round ones. They need maintenance to keep the netting tight. I've personally been a little more productive with these, but if you miss your mark you still get blanks. Which is what's probably happening to most guys that say the round ones don't fish well. Prawns move, it's never guaranteed. I'm generally happy with a 30 average per trap. This one turned out to be over 100 per trap. Lot's of info on the types of traps and techniques if you search the forum for threads related to that stuff. Back to reports? 😬
Mesh size is a big factor as well between the 2.

Took the day off work to go for a troll with a couple other likeminded friends for an escape today. Pushed off at quarter to 8 into a calm Vancouver harbour to drop some traps on our way to our winter office in Howe Sound. Tunstal was empty so came off step and gave it a crack, lots of bait but not a single tap after a few laps so we headed to the Waterfall. Only 1 other boat working the area. A couple of hours and couple of unders and the northerly settled down nicely. Scratched out a couple of keepers and slowed down the next 2 hours. Both on Homeland security spoons. Decided to go back to Tunstal for a couple of hours before lifting the traps. Picked up another keeper and then the last one at the finish bell. Both on Homeland Security spoons. Bouncing bottom the whole time in 150-200 FOW. Grabbed the traps for around 80 prawns. Had a juvenile ling in one that we released. First time for that. Finished up around 3. Didn’t rain once surprisingly. Hard to go back into work to finish the week after days like today. Had to work for them today but this work is way more fun.
IMG_0777.jpeg

Hey, thanks so much. I love this boat. Got by-in from the wife because it doubles as a family weekender. Plus the heated cabin keeps my dad warm, whereas he really struggles otherwise. Gets him out on the water with me instead of those nasty doctors appointments. Started from scratch about a year ago, and have spent more quality time with him than anytime I can remember. Every day he asks what is going on on the chat board and I keep him posted. My mom says he perks right up every time I call to give him the latest. Appreciate all of the updates here guys. keeps a busy son and his dad happily chatting about more enjoyable things versus all the other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back