2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the only guy who didn’t catch anything today at SH. I saw nets out all day. I saw fish at my marina and fish stories. WTF. I fished chovy, spoons, big and small. I fished 40-80 feet. One small spring all day……lost. What was everyone using? You must have been down 120 ft. Maybe 1200 feet cause I didn’t see any. Lotta boats out there. Maybe too much competition.

I must be the only guy who didn’t catch anything today at SH. I saw nets out all day. I saw fish at my marina and fish stories. WTF. I fished chovy, spoons, big and small. I fished 40-80 feet. One small spring all day……lost. What was everyone using? You must have been down 120 ft. Maybe 1200 feet cause I didn’t see any. Lotta boats out there. Maybe too much competition.
I was running small herring in a green brine my guest with me were using spoons. Uv skinny g Spoons were better then the herring for us. Green flashers a green variation of skinny gs and Wct skinny gs 50-70 ft

Are all the pinks gone? Caught so many last weekend. Hope they’re gone now. Gonna head out on Sunday I think

Still quite a few pinks. We had lines in at 7 am at Sandheads and had three or four pinks right off the hop - all looked pretty fresh too. Then had a couple hits that came out of the rigger but didn't stick. Finally got our first spring (mid-teens) around 9 am. Had a double header go off shortly after that were twin 19 lb. Things slowed down for an hour for us till about 11, then found two more mid teens. Also picked up a hatchery coho mid morning. All on anchovies - L and XL.

Saw a nice fish dragging a chartreuse flasher just under the surface that someone had broke off. With the weather today, most boats in the derby ran down to Sandheads. Hardly any and the Cap compared to previous years.

@ab1752: This one didn't look too big, pretty sure it was a pink ;)

IMG_6201.jpeg

Still quite a few pinks. We had lines in at 7 am at Sandheads and had three or four pinks right off the hop - all looked pretty fresh too. Then had a couple hits that came out of the rigger but didn't stick. Finally got our first spring (mid-teens) around 9 am. Had a double header go off shortly after that were twin 19 lb. Things slowed down for an hour for us till about 11, then found two more mid teens. Also picked up a hatchery coho mid morning. All on anchovies - L and XL.

Saw a nice fish dragging a chartreuse flasher just under the surface that someone had broke off. With the weather today, most boats in the derby ran down to Sandheads. Hardly any and the Cap compared to previous years.

@ab1752: This one didn't look too big, pretty sure it was a pink ;)

View attachment 98176

Ha! Ya that was the one that which broke off. This thing ran and ran and ran then fouled on someone else's rigger. Anyway, it was super spotty for us too, then the luck kicked in for the 29'r. Thanks for the pic!!

Got a question for everyone...let's assume you have a tyee hooked and he peels massive line and dives...let's also assume it's non weekend day and non derby day at sandheads and you are outside the pack. Once the fish finally surfaces he is way way way back behind boat.. fish is still spunky while on surface and it's hard to gain back line as he's still pulling and fighting being hooked.. assuming you are outside the pack, what would be the best course of action to get the highest probability of landing that fish?

A) keep kicker at same speed 2.5mph and just keep trying to gain ground until he tires out and possibly risk having momentary slack on line which can dislodge hook

B) slow down kicker to almost complete stop to help gain ground?

C) turn 180 and head back to fish while reeling like mad to keep tension on line

D) do a circle around fish and tighten circle as you gain back line

Obviously every situation is different and it depends on hoe busy the area is which may allow or not allow some of the options, but let's say you are in a wide open area , what option would you take?

Got a question for everyone...let's assume you have a tyee hooked and he peels massive line and dives...let's also assume it's non weekend day and non derby day at sandheads and you are outside the pack. Once the fish finally surfaces he is way way way back behind boat.. fish is still spunky while on surface and it's hard to gain back line as he's still pulling and fighting being hooked.. assuming you are outside the pack, what would be the best course of action to get the highest probability of landing that fish?

A) keep kicker at same speed 2.5mph and just keep trying to gain ground until he tires out and possibly risk having momentary slack on line which can dislodge hook

B) slow down kicker to almost complete stop to help gain ground?

C) turn 180 and head back to fish while reeling like mad to keep tension on line

D) do a circle around fish and tighten circle as you gain back line

Obviously every situation is different and it depends on hoe busy the area is which may allow or not allow some of the options, but let's say you are in a wide open area , what option would you take?
If I’m fishing solo, I usually try to keep the kicker running at slower speed and slowly turn to the side that helps with keeping the tension on but slowly closing that gap. If I have someone at the helm and I’m just focused on the fish, I do D - obviously if I’m not in the middle of the circus. If you’re surrounded with 8 other boats and they’re more interested in watching you than looking around and keeping clear then your option E is to pray that they don’t ******* run over your line.

B & D and pray a seal don't tag him .......

What are the conditions like at the Cap? There is a gale warning, but I'm wondering how it is in real time. I checked the straitweather app. Has the gale materialized yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back