2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s really not a very hard thing to do, but the struggle of rookies trying to net a tired spring is quite the phenomenon. It’s all just panic. My old man is the worst… even after many years. I got him in dashcam this year on a 6-attempt net job, which we actually did land. Now I just tell him take the rod at the end and I’ll net it. 😂

It’s really not a very hard thing to do, but the struggle of rookies trying to net a tired spring is quite the phenomenon. It’s all just panic. My old man is the worst… even after many years. I got him in dashcam this year on a 6-attempt net job, which we actually did land. Now I just tell him take the rod at the end and I’ll net it. 😂
had this yesterday, after many "from the side" attempts, guest 2 finally got it head first in the bag, and then proceeds to lift it in the boat with the net handle parallel to the water. After this, guest 1 thought a full lesson was better than a quick tip which went over as well as expected.

had this yesterday, after many "from the side" attempts, guest 2 finally got it head first in the bag, and then proceeds to lift it in the boat with the net handle parallel to the water. After this, guest 1 thought a full lesson was better than a quick tip which went over as well as expected.
A good net job also requires the right approach by the rod person. Especially true when they're the same person.

Productive day at Sandheads yesterday. Left Crescent Beach at 8:30am and back to the dock at 6pm. 4 springs and 1 coho in the boat. Had one devour the 40lb leader and steal a lucky spoon. Wish we would have seen that one. Biggest was 23.

Attachments

• IMG_5062.jpeg
    IMG_5062.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84
Quick shift from 3 to 7 yesterday, dropped in half way between sandheads and t10, 160' deep or so. Set the first one and it exploded at 110, by far the biggest fight I've seen in ages on a bloody nose / 6" herring with a lemon lime flasher. Spent 10 mins then he was gone but what a ride. Nailed a 19lb red just after then it was pink pink pink, snapped leader (doh)!, and done. What a beautiful day, all decent action 90 to 110.

Last edited:
Simple rules when fishing with newbs on my boat:
1- use the cheapest rod and reel combo - don’t ask me why!
2- they don’t net or bleed fish
3- they stay away from downriggers

Almost printed and laminated this but the wife thought that it was too much! :D

Simple rules when fishing with newbs on my boat:
1- use the cheapest rod and reel combo - don’t ask me why!
2- they don’t net or bleed fish
3- they stay away from downriggers

Almost printed and laminated this but the wife thought that it was too much! :D
Yeah, I'm always more ok with them losing fish while on the rod. If it's me on the rod... well I've probably said a few things I shouldn't have.

Sandheads yesterday, anchovy eating pinks everywhere from 50 to 150 on the riggers, some looked like they should have gone up the river a week ago. Got into the coho in front of the river in 350 fow, white hootchy 7 of 8, 4 hatchery. It was slow for awhile, so we jogged the riggers, 100 up to 60, seem to trigger the bite. Finished as the sun was setting with a buzzer beater chinook to even the count. Sorry to the guys I floated too close to.

Tried calling but office is closed for the weekend, website says they are open on the weekend but can anyone confirm if they will fill a cooler with salt ice at the Steveston Fishermans Warf ice plant on Sunday?
Is there any good bulk ice or salt ice proximal to Port Moody or on the way out if a guy launches from rocky point?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back