2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just finished putting together a (hopefully) helpful app which displays the weather information from the buoys and land stations.

Here is the link to my post with a little more information.

Sorry I know its not a report but i have spent years manually looking at each page and making my best assumptions.. so hopefully this helps some of the locals and makes life a little easier.

straitweather.com

https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/new-wind-and-wave-app.94692/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 11.39.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 11.39.03 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Seems to me the common denominator for the spoons and plugs that are hitting is the green. My friend guesses its triggering a competitive aggression strike. For us we ve caught all the bigger fish on the green spoons with empty stomachs or fish in their bellies and low to mid teens on the white and glow hoochies, a few had decomposed squid in their bellies.

Its been a productive season so far, hopefully it keeps up till the weekend when I can get out there. We did see a floater mid teens chinnook bleeding from the gills swimming sideways on the surface last time. I would have scooped it up if we werent already limited out. Catch and release victim or seine net victim?

Bite turned on at sand heads around 2 pm got 3 chinook and one hatch chinook in an hour in half.

Decided that was enough fish to clean and called it.

There is also a lot of big wild coho out there. Had a couple that that piped the clip and peeled out line. Around 10-12 pounds

Bite turned on at sand heads around 2 pm got 3 chinook and one hatch chinook in an hour in half.

There is also a lot of big wild coho out there. Had a couple that that piped the clip and peeled out line. Around 10-12 pounds
Nice! How were the water conditions?

Yes I’ve had some big coho over the last week, three that were easily 10+ and one that I thought was going to be a spring until we got him boatside. He was probably pushing 14lbs. Lots in the 6-7lbs range. Only two clipped cohos over four trips for me, though. I imagine there will be more clipped cohos into early October as the Vedder fish start to show up.

Released this one today at Sandheads . Definitely over 30… 77’ on the rigger in the deep . No.5 Hammered chrome Tom -Mac behind a chartreuse flasher. Had a few more at that depth and 57’ on my buddy’s side . He fished a green Skinny G. Very few pinks for us ,,,

Attachments

• Resized_20230913_140707.jpeg
    Resized_20230913_140707.jpeg
    707.5 KB · Views: 290
Released this one today at Sandheads . Definitely over 30… 77’ on the rigger in the deep . No.5 Hammered chrome Tom -Mac behind a chartreuse flasher. Had a few more at that depth and 57’ on my buddy’s side . He fished a green Skinny G. Very few pinks for us ,,,
Nice boat. 😁

Fished Sandheads today with a buddy from 8-5pm. Got some really nice wild coho's early and then a nice red (19lbs) on a large herring. My buddy insisted on feeding wild ho's and pinks his anchovies and I stuck with large herring. Got 2 more wild ho's and then an 18lb red and that was it for the day (except for 2 hatchery clipped spring shakers). Nice water today. Steady action for awhile then slowed on the flood.

Attachments

• 20230913_200829.jpg
    20230913_200829.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Another late night post work run out to Sandheads for me. With evening meetings the next two evenings I'm not sure I'd make it out... they are Zoom meetings though, hehe...

So looked at the forecast and decided to buzz out in my tinner solo again. Couldn't sell the kids on a bouncy ride.

So ripped out and turned to the north to avoid the seine nets and guys trolling the can line. 200 feet of water, marking fish so dropped the lines... well actually I dropped the same spoon that I posted yesterday to 80' and turned around to grab the second rod... when I turned back the first rod was bouncing and released. I grabbed it. Big heavy head shakes but no run. Eventually came up behind the boat rolling. I figure it was a big wild coho... so he released himself.

Dropped the lines back down and after a short troll in the 200 foot range to 250 I had my first line peeler. Spunky 12 pound white male. BONK.

Back down we go. Switched up the other side to same spoon different color. It had a couple hits and farmed a couple pinks. At about 80 feet.

Things were a little slow so I rigged the third rod with a large herring on a glow head and dropped it down on top at 60 feet. It went off... nice little fat undersized Jack chinook probably 6 pounds. Then another hit on the herring but came off. Hooked a pink that came off on the herring... why... then as light faded the herring got a big hit.

The fight was on and soon after a mess of a solo net job somehow I got the 16 pound white male in. Super fat male.

In the fiasco of netting the boat slowed and spun around. Remaining lines down went into epic tangle mode.

By that time I was drifting towards a net... so I just cut my flashers and line so I could get all my gear in before I ended up an even bigger tangle mess in a seine net.

Of course took longer than expected so getting back it was a wee bit dim to say the least.

Beautiful evening. Fish at 99, 79, and 60.

Got some cool pink flopping pics as well.

Thanks jcon12 for making that website that's great stuff!!! BOOKMARKED.

Attachments

• 20230914_003601.jpg
    20230914_003601.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20230914_002512.jpg
    20230914_002512.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20230913_192035.jpg
    20230913_192035.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 20230913_182524.jpg
    20230913_182524.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 20230913_182522(0).jpg
    20230913_182522(0).jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20230913_182517.jpg
    20230913_182517.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_20230913_150859_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230913_150859_Chrome.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 20230914_004029.jpg
    20230914_004029.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Another late night post work run out to Sandheads for me. With evening meetings the next two evenings I'm not sure I'd make it out... they are Zoom meetings though, hehe...

So looked at the forecast and decided to buzz out in my tinner solo again. Couldn't sell the kids on a bouncy ride.

So ripped out and turned to the north to avoid the seine nets and guys trolling the can line. 200 feet of water, marking fish so dropped the lines... well actually I dropped the same spoon that I posted yesterday to 80' and turned around to grab the second rod... when I turned back the first rod was bouncing and released. I grabbed it. Big heavy head shakes but no run. Eventually came up behind the boat rolling. I figure it was a big wild coho... so he released himself.

Dropped the lines back down and after a short troll in the 200 foot range to 250 I had my first line peeler. Spunky 12 pound white male. BONK.

Back down we go. Switched up the other side to same spoon different color. It had a couple hits and farmed a couple pinks. At about 80 feet.

Things were a little slow so I rigged the third rod with a large herring on a glow head and dropped it down on top at 60 feet. It went off... nice little fat undersized Jack chinook probably 6 pounds. Then another hit on the herring but came off. Hooked a pink that came off on the herring... why... then as light faded the herring got a big hit.

The fight was on and soon after a mess of a solo net job somehow I got the 16 pound white male in. Super fat male.

In the fiasco of netting the boat slowed and spun around. Remaining lines down went into epic tangle mode.

By that time I was drifting towards a net... so I just cut my flashers and line so I could get all my gear in before I ended up an even bigger tangle mess in a seine net.

Of course took longer than expected so getting back it was a wee bit dim to say the least.

Beautiful evening. Fish at 99, 79, and 60.

Got some cool pink flopping pics as well.

Thanks jcon12 for making that website that's great stuff!!! BOOKMARKED.
I wonder if that was you we saw heading out along the jetty with about an hour of daylight left. I said to my buddy, "that guy's on a mission!" Anyways, great report.

I wonder if that was you we saw heading out along the jetty with about an hour of daylight left. I said to my buddy, "that guy's on a mission!" Anyways, great report.
Haha... if it was a little 16 foot white and teal Spectrum hauling at 30mph... that was me. Unfortunately I didn't use this boat for a year. Think my switch on my light or wiring somewhere corroded... no good... lights out... need to do some rewiring this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back