2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got home from work and looked at the forecast. Seemed the wind was dead and whatever was supposed to rain would be past.

So loaded up the 16 footer for a quick solo fish at Sandheads. Got out to the lighthouse and saw the whole area full of Seine netters... so I veered north of the lighthouse before slowing down and dropping the gear.

Pinks were fining and jumping all over. Saw some big schools on the finder despite the commies.

Dropped a big herring to 60 feet and a white hootchie to 80 feet. No love while I was setting up a second herring. Stacked an extra rod for a while running an extra herring. Headed out to deeper water 400'. Started marking fish around 180' to 200' and remembered someone slayed them a few days ago down there. I dropped down but no love.

So rebooted since guys were saying 80 to 100 has been working. Put a new spoon on at 100 feet and the herring at 80'. Now about 7 pm... time runing out.

Hooked a pink on the spoon at a 100, drop back down and big hit peeling drag and up comes a 22lb chinook.

Get everything back down and rigger releases with something on the big herring. Feels like a oddly hooked chinook, but came off before I could see it. Then a pink must have hit my large herring right at the end.. but also came off at the surface. Crazy pinks hitting 7- 8 inch herring haha.

Thanks to everyone for posting depths, last few days. Going deeper definitely worked tonight for me... and the spoon. 20230912_191123.jpg20230912_192617.jpg20230912_214206.jpg

Last edited:
Got home from work and looked at the forecast. Seemed the wind was dead and whatever was supposed to rain would be past.

So loaded up the 16 footer for a quick solo fish at Sandheads. Got out to the lighthouse and saw the whole area full of Seine netters... so I veered north of the lighthouse before slowing down and dropping the gear.

Pinks were fining and jumping all over. Saw some big schools on the finder despite the commies.

Dropped a big herring to 60 feet and a white hootchie to 80 feet. No love while I was setting up a second herring. Stacked an extra rod for a while running an extra herring. Headed out to deeper water 400'. Started marking fish around 180' to 200' and remembered someone slayed them a few days ago down there. I dropped down but no love.

So rebooted since guys were saying 80 to 100 has been working. Put a new spoon on at 100 feet and the herring at 80'. Now about 7 pm... time runing out.

Hooked a pink on the spoon at a 100, drop back down and big hit peeling drag and up comes a 22lb chinook.

Get everything back down and rigger releases with something on the big herring. Feels like a oddly hooked chinook, but came off before I could see it. Then a pink must have hit my large herring right at the end.. but also came off at the surface. Crazy pinks hitting 7- 8 inch herring haha.

Thanks to everyone for posting depths, last few days. Going deeper definitely worked tonight for me... and the spoon. View attachment 97835View attachment 97836View attachment 97837
That’s a pretty looking spoon… what kind is that. Looks like a Peetz

Hello all.. relatively new fisher here. Saw people talking about the 'nets' or 'seine nets'. I assume these are commercial nets that are being set in the area of Sand Heads? I havent been over to Sand Heads, only fishing still the south side of bowen.. got a nice chinook there last week.. still a couple swimming around. But back to the nets. How would i know that the nets are there? And if so, how would i know how to avoid them? I have no idea how big these nets are etc. Sorry for the newbie question, just trying to learn. Thanks!

Hello all.. relatively new fisher here. Saw people talking about the 'nets' or 'seine nets'. I assume these are commercial nets that are being set in the area of Sand Heads? I havent been over to Sand Heads, only fishing still the south side of bowen.. got a nice chinook there last week.. still a couple swimming around. But back to the nets. How would i know that the nets are there? And if so, how would i know how to avoid them? I have no idea how big these nets are etc. Sorry for the newbie question, just trying to learn. Thanks!
Just stay away from the com boats. siene nets are dragged behind the boat in a big circle around a school of fish then the bottom is pulled closed and they scoop up the whole school.

They run them out the back of bigcommercial fishing boats and then a little boat drags the end of the net back to the big boat. You can see the white floats 2-300 yards behind the boat (if it is choppy or there is glare on the water it is harder to see.). Just steer clear of the back of the boats.

Went out for an evening bite last night. Started deep around T10, fish on every few minutes. Hit 3 wild ho’s, and a chunky red before running into a wall of humpies from hell. Decided to pull gear and hit up sandheads. Fished the green can for a hour with no love, not too many rec boats out, didn’t see any nets out. Back to T10 area, dropped gear again in deeper water, hit a couple wild ho’s and a bunch of pinks again. Definitely more action for us in 300-400 fow. White hoochie did the most damage and fooled the spring. 5” spoon nailed a couple ho’s.

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 111
you do know that it's impossible to catch a fish there on the ebb, right? ;) Just wait another couple hours and you'll be fine. Appears to be nice BBQ weather today... might have to join you for lunch bite. Smokies for me... I can float one over to you if you'd like.
Deal.

That’s a pretty looking spoon… what kind is that. Looks like a Peetz
it wont pass the group approval test due to split rings fore and aft. ;)
Haha... aquaholic... I didn't even think of that. What is the theory with the split rings? I know big fish can twist them open or break the hook off them. I know sometimes makes clicking sounds which fish don't like.... BUT.

This is one of those gimmicky spoons and I can't recall the company that produces them. I bought them at the boat show a few years ago for CHEAP (i'm a sucker for a deal)... and they looked so pretty I just couldn't pass them up.

If you look at the front split ring you will see there is a black metallic ring on the split ring. Maybe that's why there are split rings. This is the feature of the spoon. It's supposed to cause an electric current from the spoon. I'm not sure if it actually works or not... but this chinook Wolfed the spoon down.

Maybe someone recognizes the spoon. I'll try to Google search it.

Screenshot_20230913_100455_Gallery.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back