2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adipose fin could make a decent key chain holder.
LOL. You've got my nomination for quote of the year.

Got out to the Bell this afternoon for a solo fish. Went 2 for 3 and landed a 75cm red and and 80cm white. Forgot how hard it is to solo land a fish! One hit on anchovy at 55', two on skinny G at 70' The one on the anchovy was odd in that this is the second time this has happened to me in the last week. I see a small tug, but it doesn't stick so after a brief wait I start reeling in to check the bait. BAM. Fish on. I suspect they are tail slapping them and then instinctively hit them when the anchovy tries to "escape".

I went out yesterday. I was solo, my partner's/father/boat driver is out for a while. Got a spring around 1000am. Around 13# on a plug at 65 feet. Then a bunch of wild coho, followed by a nice hatchery coho. Then it died right down until 330pm. Then it was on fire, got my second spring 15#, on herring at 65'. Then the other line went off as soon as I boxed it. Released a mid teen spring, on herring @ 65'. Put the coho gear down, coho killers at 40' and trolled faster. Bang double header lost one and released another chinook and got out of there with three and a spectacular whale show.

Got out to the Bell this afternoon for a solo fish. Went 2 for 3 and landed a 75cm red and and 80cm white. Forgot how hard it is to solo land a fish! One hit on anchovy at 55', two on skinny G at 70' The one on the anchovy was odd in that this is the second time this has happened to me in the last week. I see a small tug, but it doesn't stick so after a brief wait I start reeling in to check the bait. BAM. Fish on. I suspect they are tail slapping them and then instinctively hit them when the anchovy tries to "escape".
2 of our fish did that same thing yesterday… although I wasn’t reeling it up I just lift my gear a bit after that happens. Also, I move my gear quite a bit when the bite is slow, up 10’ down 10’ etc. and I’ll get hits within 30 seconds of moving it. Same idea, the chase triggers the bite.

Not sure if it’s appropriate but there’s a significant number of Bigg’s Orcas (mammal eater) in the Nanaimo - Parksville - Ladysmith area. Maybe it’s that pod? I saw lots of seals on opening day.
do they take requests? we got “sea lioned “ the other night in CR

That's how it went for the fish I caught on herring. Tail slapping! Interesting!

Anyone having success for chinooks this morning at sandheads? Seems like the bite has turned off compared to last few days during morning

Not unusual for the bite to drop off after a serious visit the day before by the Orcas. They get an instant urge to migrate up the river or disappear offshore.Sometimes a couple days to regroup.
Hopefully by Friday they will poke their heads back around ;)

Currently at SH

3 Seine boats in the area.
14 pinks to the boat so far.
Flat calm
Been here since 3:30pm

Last edited:
Fished SH today from 8-2
Managed to get a 22 lb white and a 12lbs red
Caught a few wild coho
Too many pinks
One dogfish

Everything caught on small herring
No love for the white hooch or the chovy
I had about 3 hours fishing SH last night. I was shocked that my chovies didn't get touched the whole time. All my action on a white hoochie and a few bites on a blue/silver skinny G. The chovies crushed everything for me a week ago.

Yesterday, got to SH at 11:00 to avaoid the forecasted rain (didn't happen). Four unsuccessful hours there in the Green Can area. 1 Pink boxed, 1 tail-hooked unclipped Coho released, 1 Grilse, 1 Spiny Dogfish. Decided to troll to T-10. By the time we got 1/2 way we had 2 more nice Pinks, and 12, 16, & 20lb Chinook in the box. Caught the 20 far away from the fleet in flat calm water so we pulled the other gear and shut the motor off. (THIS was great 'fishing'). It was a 'submarine', took long runs, and stayed down all the way to the boat. It actually took a few minutes AT the boat before we could even see the flasher. By then we were tired of fighting fish and called it a day. All fish caught on 3-1/2" spoon, green&silver bucktail, red&silver bucktail. 87' & 105' on the wire.

I'm not fishing bait anymore: too expensive, too much time wrestling treble hooks out of fish (and net mesh), too much time re-baiting and getting gear back down. With 'hardware' we simply: pop the hook, check it for bents or nicks in the leader, and get it back in the water. (if nicked or bent, just clip on a new pre-tie) After that, deal with the fish.

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 196
  • spoon.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
20lb Chinook in the box. Caught the 20 far away from the fleet in flat calm water so we pulled the other gear and shut the motor off. (THIS was great 'fishing'). It was a 'submarine', took long runs, and stayed down all the way to the boat. It actually took a few minutes AT the boat before we could even see the flasher.

Nice report! Was this 20lb a white spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back