2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished 28-6 with the old man and bro today who don’t fish often. Strange day activity wise. Overall slow day with 4 double headers. Will explain why it was considered a slow day.

Double header 1. 2 chinook shakers right off the bat. Have to get the gear back down with 2 googans in the boat.

Double header 2 an hour later. Another shaker and a pink. Have to get the gear down again. 2 hours in we have 1 pink in the box.

Double header 3 an hour after that. Brother has another shaker on. Tell him to keep it away from the starboard line when trying to release it and then proceeds to wrap it around the starboard line. In the 40 seconds that felt like 10 minutes in trying to deal with it we feel a strike on the starboard line. Finally shake off the little guy and the starboard line goes on a huge run. Bit of mayhem and disbelief ensues and we end up boxing a handsome 77cm chinook with that red Thompson Fraser look to him. Takes an eternity to settle down and get the lines down.

Double header 4 an hour later. As we are deciding how to land a big pink buck my dad notices a nice silver fish jumping beside the boat. At second glance we notice there‘s a flasher at the surface as well. Then us geniuses finally figured out it was our starboard line. We hand bomb the pink over the rail to keep the net free to bag a nice 7 lb hatchery coho.

No other action of any sort between these 4 short bursts of action. Pulled the traps and exactly 3 male keeper crabs. No females or unders. My dad and brother thought it was a fun day of fishing. I thought what a fluke day. It had “not a lot of bites, a couple of pinks and no crab“ written all over it…. Very thankful to the fish gods for showing us a good time today.

Fished bait with 72 inch leaders behind flashers all day. 30-70 feet in 150 of water.

IMG_0434.jpeg

Well went to Smittys this afternoon for a little oyster love. Told the friends and family we were going to fish for an hour and bam! 2 springs in the boat 20min in. What a great experience for people who never fish. Also ended up with some prawns again, but the crabs moved in and stole some. Mesh net is fubared. Be out tomorrow morning again after picking up some buddies from Horseshoe bay. Tight lines

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpeg
    IMG_3114.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 71470845576__21F9E76F-D164-428E-990F-1F9054C0183E.jpeg
    71470845576__21F9E76F-D164-428E-990F-1F9054C0183E.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 166
Anyone having any luck today? We started back at Seymour bay and haven’t had anything other than pinks.

Reports of Point Atkinson and area success with chinook, pink and hatch coho from one boat I know. East Bowen Seymour Bay would be mostly pink from previous years records.

Were you able to get any this season?
Yeah I was pretty successful when I did get out. If you mean with that method specifically, not yet! I'll be running it come September though... if my boat works

I have a bunch of packs of anchovies from last year that have always been frozen and never thawed. Just wondering how long they last in the freezer and if I can still be using these ones.

I have a bunch of packs of anchovies from last year that have always been frozen and never thawed. Just wondering how long they last in the freezer and if I can still be using these ones.
I've used them 3 years old. Salt the crap out of them. Don't brine them, just lay salt on them and freeze them or leave in the fridge.

PA from 7 to 11 this morning, was dead flat calm. One coloured up pink soon as we started on the Canadian Tire humpy special. An hour later a nice hatch coho on an anchovy. Tried a variety of gear, hoochies, plugs, etc. No other action for us. Lots of boats out including some tiny car toppers, inflatables and a flat bottom bass boat.

PA from 7 to 11 this morning, was dead flat calm. One coloured up pink soon as we started on the Canadian Tire humpy special. An hour later a nice hatch coho on an anchovy. Tried a variety of gear, hoochies, plugs, etc. No other action for us. Lots of boats out including some tiny car toppers, inflatables and a flat bottom bass boat.
Yah. Fished ~6 to ~11… 28-6… 3 bites, 2 undersized chinook to the boat… others were not doing any better it seemed… it was slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back