2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’ll never see it at Kits.
They are unable to extend the docks beyond their current length. Costs go up, FN must be consulted, in fact, that whole launch is in foreseeable jeopardy as it is unceded. Not to mention Environmental Assessments.
I spoke with a whole bunch of people about this 10 years ago and everyone I spoke to talked about “roadblocks” and budgeting. The Parks Board is the one who manages the money and they said “as a business case” they can’t see it. I said they don’t want to see it because they are focussed on blowing money on political agendas such as “liveable” and “bike lanes”. They had no contest. Vancouver has no boat launch.

MacDonald Beach is infilling with sediment quickly. Anything less than a 4’ tide makes that launch unusable too.

Sad state of affairs.
Growing up in Vancouver, born and raised, I can't believe how we got to the point we're at. So much money in this city. So many boat owners and yet about 7 launches from Porteau to Delta/Ladner. A sad state of affairs indeed. How is it that Washington, Oregon and parts of Northern California have unbelievable launches in townships? Not cities, but townships. Complete BS. Don't get me going about the parksboard either. Tits on a bull would be more usefull.
Keep the reports coming please. 3 more days till Sunday. My one day.
Rant over

You’ll never see it at Kits.
They are unable to extend the docks beyond their current length. Costs go up, FN must be consulted, in fact, that whole launch is in foreseeable jeopardy as it is unceded. Not to mention Environmental Assessments.
I spoke with a whole bunch of people about this 10 years ago and everyone I spoke to talked about “roadblocks” and budgeting. The Parks Board is the one who manages the money and they said “as a business case” they can’t see it. I said they don’t want to see it because they are focussed on blowing money on political agendas such as “liveable” and “bike lanes”. They had no contest. Vancouver has no boat launch.

MacDonald Beach is infilling with sediment quickly. Anything less than a 4’ tide makes that launch unusable too.

Sad state of affairs.
I know they can’t extend but they could dig back further slope it properly or bump the aristocrats over on the perfect little bay in front of the maritime museum and build it there.
As a business case at least boaters would gladly use it from around the lower mainland if it was constructed similar to the one pictured on a smaller scale.
The rates they charge for regular parking down there these days leaves the lot empty so don’t really understand that business case either unless they plan to toll bike riders down the road.
Glad to here you took it up with them but sadly I think the new crew is even worse.

Fished 1 pm -7:30 managed only 1 pink. 2 shakers and two wild cohos. Started by Ambleside and it was very slow. Moved to Point Atkinson after 5 pm and got little action with two cohos (W) and 1 pink plus about 5 who didn't stick. Very slow day. Was out 2 days ago by Ambleside and got 1 nice Chinook 2 hatch coho and 5 pink. It was lots of action. What happened :( ?

Fished Pt. Atkinson 5-8pm last night. Only one pink and one under chinook on a white hoochie at 50'. Variety of spoons on the other side at every depth without a hit. Saw a few nets out, but looked slower overall. Marked so many fish everywhere at every depth, I attempted jigging with a flat fall for a bit, but nothing.

Fished Pt. Atkinson 5-8pm last night. Only one pink and one under chinook on a white hoochie at 50'. Variety of spoons on the other side at every depth without a hit. Saw a few nets out, but looked slower overall. Marked so many fish everywhere at every depth, I attempted jigging with a flat fall for a bit, but nothing.
Sounds like orcas might have been around?

Or is just fishing and we're all spoiled rotten, expecting springs on every outing.
Probably a combination of the fish being off the bite between tide changes, and I'm just not very good at fishing. The fish were definitely there, they just weren't buying what I was selling.

Probably a combination of the fish being off the bite between tide changes, and I'm just not very good at fishing. The fish were definitely there, they just weren't buying what I was selling.
It happens. Maybe they were partying all night.

Well today was a complete success. Couple of small springs. Multiple pinks, one keeper spring at 76cm. Handful of wild coho, no hatchery unfortunately. Believe we caught one chum that was thought to be a coho. Started at Point Atkinson and moved around to find fish. Soon as we dropped the lines it was a double header first thing this morning. Ended up with just a little over 300 prawns.
Beauty day.

I like bait in those situations

There’s no shortage of fish at sandheads and it would be nice if the reds stayed there till September 1

Don’t want rain like a couple years ago and it ended pretty much by the second week of September
Rain coming next Tuesday allegedly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back