2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Passed by lots of boats at the cap on the way to Point Atkinson. Picked up a couple chinook east of there. One on an anchovie and when they ran out the other one was caught on the C. Tire hummpy killer. No need to head to south Bowen as we got our 6 pinks too. No coho. Thanks to Reel Time for the 25 year old hot smoke you tube video. The pinks are already in the brine.
anyone have a link to that youtube video/recipe? Thanks!

Hey cool to see you out there, thanks for shouting to say hi. You caught me in a bit of madness… I was playing a nice spring that had taken a few good runs on me. First time this year I looked at my reel and thought it may spool out if he goes again. Finally got it mostly back & when he surfaced & jumped got all tangled up wrapped the line around its tail a couple times, and it came in like a boot & kinda spinning like a giant chovy on a slow roll, splashing around occasionally. Painful but I got it in finally, solo was a bit tricky. Was a 75cm red.
I ran out of chovies as well, damn pinks… got it on a herring at 50’.
2 pinks and a hatch coho as

anyone have a link to that youtube video/recipe? Thanks!

Went to the cap mouth yesterday hoping for the evening bite. Threw the kitchen sink down but no love, different depths etc. A couple boats netting smaller fish. Quiet calm evening.

I see a handful of guys are under the assumption that 28–2 is currently open for Chinook retention. Please continue to read down to the bottom of the Fishing BC app, and don’t stop just because you have achieved confirmation bias.

I see a handful of guys are under the assumption that 28–2 is currently open for Chinook retention. Please continue to read down to the bottom of the Fishing BC app, and don’t stop just because you have achieved confirmation bias.
You're assuming that people actually read anything at all. I'd say that's a stretch.

Are the paper regulations more straight forward? I use the online version and was confused about the chinook openings because I didn't click on the right restriction, just scrolled down. Luckily I learn a lot from forums like this and dug deeper till I figured out what I did wrong. I can see many people getting confused easily.

Are the paper regulations more straight forward? I use the online version and was confused about the chinook openings because I didn't click on the right restriction, just scrolled down. Luckily I learn a lot from forums like this and dug deeper till I figured out what I did wrong. I can see many people getting confused easily.
If I may repeat something that I posted a couple of times now, and many others do this as well.

Can you retain chinook in Subarea 28–2?

On the app, just select the one species that you were concerned about, chinook, for example. Do not go chinook, pink, and coho.

Select the specific sub area you are concerned about. Not the broad area such as 28. Choose 28–2. Now you are dealing with the exact sub area and the exact species that you were concerned about.

When you get the results, keep scrolling to the very bottom, and in particular look for anywhere that says “Closed” written in red. That’s where the warnings are. Do not stop reading when you found something that agrees with what you heard somewhere else.

Went fishing August 22nd. Left Vanier boat launch 8:15 am. Brother was late 15 mins... I am in a 19.5 foot Lund with no top. We got soaked on the way to Point Atkinson as there were lots of white caps, wind and waves. It was difficult to fish. We did not get anything but did see a few boats net some small fish. Was using a white hoochie on both rods 40-90 feet down which has been good on my other trips to the same place. I was out a week ago and it was a fish every 10 minutes. Trolled from P.A. to Cap and pulled up one side and no flasher or gear. Second time in two years that has happened. I was not close to the freighters. Any thoughts? It was much calmer at the cap mouth but only caught a small ling cod and a small pink. Of course l let both go. When I got back to the Vanier boat launch I saw workers fixing the second ramp. It would be nice if both ramps were working.

Was out at fisheries behind the freighters WVan yesterday from 1030 to 230 - caught a big pink and a coho, and released a little pink. Nothing on chovies, finally a black & green spoon with lemon lime flasher worked. Had 2 guests on board and they were thrilled to catch any salmon :) and invited us for dinner when they cooked them! Bonus!

Went fishing August 22nd. Left Vanier boat launch 8:15 am. Brother was late 15 mins... I am in a 19.5 foot Lund with no top. We got soaked on the way to Point Atkinson as there were lots of white caps, wind and waves. It was difficult to fish. We did not get anything but did see a few boats net some small fish. Was using a white hoochie on both rods 40-90 feet down which has been good on my other trips to the same place. I was out a week ago and it was a fish every 10 minutes. Trolled from P.A. to Cap and pulled up one side and no flasher or gear. Second time in two years that has happened. I was not close to the freighters. Any thoughts? It was much calmer at the cap mouth but only caught a small ling cod and a small pink. Of course l let both go. When I got back to the Vanier boat launch I saw workers fixing the second ramp. It would be nice if both ramps were working.
They should just scrap the launch start over and build half of this.IMG_5290.png

I’ll be out tomorrow, staying on Bowen for the w tree at of the week going to hit Point Atkinson first thing tomorrow then maybe QA or Cowan. See you out there. Will post success and nothing else.

They should just scrap the launch start over and build half of this.View attachment 96786
You’ll never see it at Kits.
They are unable to extend the docks beyond their current length. Costs go up, FN must be consulted, in fact, that whole launch is in foreseeable jeopardy as it is unceded. Not to mention Environmental Assessments.
I spoke with a whole bunch of people about this 10 years ago and everyone I spoke to talked about “roadblocks” and budgeting. The Parks Board is the one who manages the money and they said “as a business case” they can’t see it. I said they don’t want to see it because they are focussed on blowing money on political agendas such as “liveable” and “bike lanes”. They had no contest. Vancouver has no boat launch.

MacDonald Beach is infilling with sediment quickly. Anything less than a 4’ tide makes that launch unusable too.

Sad state of affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back