2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's usually what it's left on. Lowest setting just to keep the freeze out. I think I turned it up to warm up when I got back on my last outing becuase the espar is broken. Forgot to turn it back down.
Let's take that machine and fix it. Or change it out for a 200 dollar chinese one. Put a spare on deck. Gotta have the heat.

Let's take that machine and fix it. Or change it out for a 200 dollar chinese one. Put a spare on deck. Gotta have the heat.
It's fixed! Ian at Roton ended up giving me a rebuilt one for free because they took so long in getting to it. What a guy. He recommended another guy named Gerald to come down and re-install it, he's finishing up tomorrow. He decided it would be best to replace the exhaust while he was in there. He must not eat as much brisket as I do to fit inside that cavern 🤣

It's fixed! Ian at Roton ended up giving me a rebuilt one for free because they took so long in getting to it. What a guy. He recommended another guy named Gerald to come down and re-install it, he's finishing up tomorrow. He decided it would be best to replace the exhaust while he was in there. He must not eat as much brisket as I do to fit inside that cavern 🤣
Brisket eating mechanics are the way to go trust me

I went out yesterday. 18 boats in Tunstall bay at one point. We trolled from Tunstall to passage island. Four hits in total. All around 45cm -55cm all in one area a little east of RC. Lots of prawns. I had a couple buddies also come up short yesterday. Last three years, January and February have been slightly better then March for me. Hopefully I'll change that trend next week.

Scary stuff that plug..I like the Pali heaters by Caframo in the winter freeze, couple of them around our fresh water pump and tank with cupboards open and a store dry on the floor. Anyway haven't posted for long time but met Raincity few weeks ago so figured I'd jump back on here..fished porlier Sunday for few hours hit lots of just under and couple shakers most came in the 90-110 contour but hit em all the way out to 190' released a ling as well..fun day
Drinking coffee at Wallace island and gonna hit Booth/Tent in a bit but that'll be the Gulf island thread..cheers

Scary stuff that plug..I like the Pali heaters by Caframo in the winter freeze, couple of them around our fresh water pump and tank with cupboards open and a store dry on the floor. Anyway haven't posted for long time but met Raincity few weeks ago so figured I'd jump back on here..fished porlier Sunday for few hours hit lots of just under and couple shakers most came in the 90-110 contour but hit em all the way out to 190' released a ling as well..fun day
Drinking coffee at Wallace island and gonna hit Booth/Tent in a bit but that'll be the Gulf island thread..cheers
Love stopping at Wallace, such a peaceful spot to stretch the legs

Got out yesterday. Lumpy crossing to Bowen and chilly however winds were manageable once there. No love at Tunstall so went towards Hutt. One hit, one chubby keeper. Wasn’t on the deep line. Few prawns to finish the day.

Attachments

• 74A61B77-F640-4026-9CC8-09FBED992B4F.jpeg
    74A61B77-F640-4026-9CC8-09FBED992B4F.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 216
  • 48321E2C-54AE-452B-B4CA-5FE32B17DD80.jpeg
    48321E2C-54AE-452B-B4CA-5FE32B17DD80.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 210
  • A4098F49-7939-4493-B118-3EF60BC91E92.jpeg
    A4098F49-7939-4493-B118-3EF60BC91E92.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 1D8AC84F-7DFD-469B-A386-ACE7AE828C0C.jpeg
    1D8AC84F-7DFD-469B-A386-ACE7AE828C0C.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 97D5267C-AF14-42DF-812B-1A6E37D32AE7.jpeg
    97D5267C-AF14-42DF-812B-1A6E37D32AE7.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 224
First (reported) fish of the year! A fat, red, bright, chrome hatch feeder. Fish was caught at West Bowen in 180 feet of water, 210 on the rigger, 18lb balls, two hours before high slack, fishing against the tide doing 2.2MPH SOG. This beauty Chinook was fooled by my glow white hoochie with a touch of green on the head and a krinkly insert inside, finshed off with a bead chain to a 3/0 Gamakatsu Big River Bait hook. 36" 40 lb mono leader with an overhand knot, clipped to a Gibbs Guide Series Lemon Lime flasher. Both the flasher and hoochie covered in Pro Cure Herring Super Gel. The espar was broken so there was little respite from the 10 knot brisk outflow wind making the 6 degree temps seem much colder. The salmon went on several long runs punching way above it's estimated 12lb weight class. After doing several turns to bring the feisty beast abeam to the boat, it was quickly scooped up in our Gibbs catch and release net. We celebrated with high fives and my signature "fu** yeah!" Pressure was maintained flawlessly with the blue Islander MR3 reel (spooled with braid and a mono top shot) on a Trophy Titan 3106 rod. Finshed off the day with a haul of prawns and nice hard dungees. Twas a fantastic start to our (limited) 2023 season. Love you all, now go catch some fish!!!
View attachment 88102View attachment 88103View attachment 88104View attachment 88105View attachment 88106View attachment 88107View attachment 88108View attachment 88109
I hate when people submit their vague reports :(. Great catch, great info (I assume pick of barbed hook is for reference only ;).

Picked some friends up in gibsons at 8 am , fished waterfall for a quick few passes , two unders. Made a quick decision to stop at the hump for a quick rub, then run over to thrasher . Stopped at the hump for all of 20 mins with no action , next stop thrasher . A slew of unders until we moved out a bit deeper and started hitting legal fish pretty steady . Ended up killing three , losing three fish keepers that we saw but lost at the boat ( rookie crew today ). One looked all of 18 lbs . The thunder jet we fished next to all day had at least the same number of legal fish , two of very handsome size we saw them hold up . All fish on tomic plugs on bottom .

Fished the bell from 10:30 to 12:30 today, on bottom in 130-160 feet. One hit, was 60cm and released. It was on a cop car coho-killer that went into the kicker as the fish went in the net. No other action for us, and it looked slow for the other half dozen boats around, only saw one other fish get caught.

Fished the bell from 10:30 to 12:30 today, on bottom in 130-160 feet. One hit, was 60cm and released. It was on a cop car coho-killer that went into the kicker as the fish went in the net. No other action for us, and it looked slow for the other half dozen boats around, only saw one other fish get caught.
I was out playing with the new motor, saw one boat by the Cap, that was about it for the W Van shoreline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back