2023 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out this morning with son and grandsons. Released 3 overs and bonked a couple at 78 cm. Bait still out front on the humps in the 200’ spot. Beauty morning. Hootchies and spoons.
How’s the launch been ? Is it a zoo this time of year ? Planning on heading there next week for a few fishes

How’s the launch been ? Is it a zoo this time of year ? Planning on heading there next week for a few fishes
Launch was great tonight. It was nutty a couple weeks ago when it opened but maybe a few less boats heading out now.

Fishing was also great, we got three slot springs between 65 and 70cms in a couple hours. Lost two others that felt a bit bigger. Plug and hootchie at 140-150 ft.

Out last night with family from Alberta. Bonked 4 nice fat springs all between 72 and 76cm. Really nice fighters particularly on the bare plugs. Fat short thick fish. Everything we put down had fish on last night. Even shallowed up for coho at the end and kept getting springs. Bait still thick out front.

Last edited:
Out last night with family from Alberta. Bonked 4 nice fat springs all between 72 and 76cm. Really nice fighters particularly on the bare plugs. Fat shirt thick fish. Everything we put down had fish on last night. Even shadowed up for coho at the end and kept getting springs. Bait still thick out front.
That sounds great. Red, marbled, or white meat?

@Redfisher, great catches and thank you for sharing. Are you running dummy flashers? curious on depth as well. I'm heading out that way from Alberta August 23-26 (Nootka), then Aug27 -Sept 4 (French Creek)
(Bring my own boat) any little tips would be great. I have quite a few plugs...the 602 i hear is awesome for the area

No dummy flashers
Bare plugs fishing the bottom
602 is a standby here
Find the bait balls and fish around them.

Last edited:
Fished the humps this afternoon. Lots of action . Tried a few different set ups . Plug down deep, coho killers and some skinny g . Coho spoons seemed to get the most action , nothing on the plug . Found a few massive wild coho down at the bottom but couldn’t find a clipped one. Whales came through . Never managed to scratch up a keeper but was a fun first day with the old man.

Got the kids out bright and early and got one right on the first drop finally on a plug!
75cm . Kids started getting sea sick ( it was flat calm) so called up grandma to pick them up so me and the wife can continue for my birthday fish. Got a 63 cm on a spoon but decided to release it to look for a bigger one but couldn’t find one only some shakers . Got into a school of coho with mostly clipped ones and a few wild ones in the mix so all in all a good day . Beer time now

Out last night in that westerly slop. A bit bouncy for us but we still bonked 3 mid 70’s springs in an hour and a half and let a few smaller ones go. Plugs at 150’. Bait nice and thick off the green roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back