2023 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave it a last go for a keeper tonight, nothing! Algae bloom is happening and I attribute the slow fishing to that. Boat is comming home for some maintenance this weekend in preparation to prawning

Gave it a last go for a keeper tonight, nothing! Algae bloom is happening and I attribute the slow fishing to that. Boat is comming home for some maintenance this weekend in preparation to prawning
Two unders at Ballenas during the morning bite. Water sure did get dirty. Too bad the weather will be crappy for the last retention day.

Yesterday evening was too nice not to go out, April / May has been my favorite time of year out front before they closed the fishery in the Strait.
So many fish from all over and many American bound, will never understand.
Released one that had some weight and one junior at the hump, both hoochie. Looks like a good forecast to enjoy this weekend.

Found my spot for prawns. 2 traps for my limit. Finally! Puller broke 3/4 way up. Only used it 3 time and shaft or gear blew. Off to ace for warranty, at that point I sort of wished I kept the 18 pound and 5 pound cannonballs off

Attachments

• FB3B1A48-58B3-492E-A840-0EE60F60EE05.jpeg
    FB3B1A48-58B3-492E-A840-0EE60F60EE05.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 108
Prawning is good. 8 days left. Crabbing a bust, left traps overnight 1 keeper, Rebatied and left all day, two small females. Whales are around, might try for a lingcod this afternoon

Was out jigging the other night at Ballenas, Douglas and Gerald. Release a couple beautiful springs and a couple wild cohos. Noticed fish jumping now and again and thought they might be coho. Got closer to the area and noticed salmon slashing around on the surface. Quick cast and I was into a coho, 4lber or so. Nice to see that there might be some coho around this year. Saw the surface feeding a few more times in the 20 minutes or so I stayed.

Last edited:
Was out jigging the other night at Ballenas, Douglas and Gerald. Release a couple beautiful springs and a couple wild cohos. Noticed fish jumping and now and again and thought they might be coho. Got closer to the area and noticed salmon slashing around on the surface. Quick cast and I was into a coho, 4lber or so. Nice to see that there might be some coho around this year. Saw the surface feeding a few more times in the 20 minutes or so I stayed.
Was out at entrance last week and saw schools of coho everywhere on the surface.

Was out Wednesday early evening, only boat on the water hit quite a few springs 4 keeper size probably 13 maybe 15 lbs in size. Bit of action off the hump with some slow times and marking no bait then turned on in tighter later on the low slack around 730 or so. First trip out this season was nice to be back on the water. Current was ripping pretty good despite the tide swing being bit to drastic. Wind kicked up just as we were launching but eventually calmed down. Fished plugs.

Just heading out to see if I can get one or two. Flat calm out there right now.
I failed in my attempt to get a hatchery coho or two last night. Went out to Ballenas and it was relatively quiet (i was jigging). I did release 2 wild coho unharmed. Water was flat calm so I was able to see lots of bait activity but the coho boils just weren't there. I spoke with another fellow out there and he give me the old "you should been here 2 weeks ago", lol. He said the area was full of coho everywhere feeding at the surface. I'm thinking those schools have moved off down towards Nanaimo. Hopefully they'll make their way back my way or others move in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back