2023 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the project gets going results will definitely be communicated... At this stage we are just testing gear though...
Can you find some smelts for me to catch as well please?

Away from the armada of boats today (must be trying to get in one more day of fishing before the winds blow up on the weekend), Fish Assassin, Big Bruce and I managed to have a great day of fishing near Kitty. As always, FA was his usual kind and generous self. Landed 8 springs, and took home a 73, 78 and a 79. Black hoochies work so well!
love black hoochies, the best.

Yesterday morning at first light hooked another lifer fisherman. This guy had caught a pink everynight off the beach at Singing sands all by himself for 2 nights running. Pretty impressive-so talked to his mom and uncle and took his uncle and him out. Always a risk but using MC Rocket strip-260 ft on a 20 lb ball-couldn't keep them off. Other side with conventional stuff never got a hit. This guy is going to be a pro.-Brought the big one in from 260 all by himself. Great kid-now I'll go back to being my old grumpy self---ray of sunshine for the day

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 178
First/last Kitty Coleman report…..

Transiting homeward, dropped the gear in at 10

Picked up 2 from the mud @ 210-220’ - 245 on rigger (thx to you, spring fever)

First was +/- 25 and the other 30ish

first one five minutes of aerials

Second one almost spooled me

Both quick release, both strong swimmers

Only keeper was a 65cm dinner fish

I guess we were two days early…..

Fun day either way

00EBAC5F-139D-4787-8069-A1286BF08F89.jpeg
We were out the other day (Wednesday) and tried the bumblebees… not a lot of action, went out to kitty and got one 78, on a plug at 240.

Never fished the south point of Denman Island (South of Chrome Island lighthouse) and trying it now. Just kept a Chinook on a herring down at 75ft.
What’s the recommended depth to try and catch #2?

I’m always asking questions so, for a change, here’s a report. Fished the south end of Denman/Hornby on Thursday. Lots of boats out. Great weather. Flat water with mixed sun and cloud. Fairly large tide change in the morning, not much afternoon change. Trolled a Copcar Hootchie at 200’ on the rigger and a SkinnyG at 125’. Fished the 200-250 contours. Took one Spring at 75cm, one at 65, and released one that was well under sized. All on the SkinnyG. Good day for us. From what I could see there were very few nets being put out. The only down side was the amount of weed in the water.

Is anyone fishing area 14-11 with success? Thinking it might be a good spot as the salmon migrate into the rivers through this chokepoint. Cheers

May not be too helpful, as I fish from a kayak, but I've been out a fair amount in that area in the past couple of weeks. I have not had any luck. Mostly I fish around the two cans off Cape Lazo. Major handicap being in the kayak, but I had no luck on salmon. Mostly trolling but also doing some jigging.

May not be too helpful, as I fish from a kayak, but I've been out a fair amount in that area in the past couple of weeks. I have not had any luck. Mostly I fish around the two cans off Cape Lazo. Major handicap being in the kayak, but I had no luck on salmon. Mostly trolling but also doing some jigging.
Thanks @SkeenaSlayer for the feedback. I will also be in a yak ... disappointed there's not more action in this area. Guess I'll be staying around Kitty.

Is anyone fishing area 14-11 with success? Thinking it might be a good spot as the salmon migrate into the rivers through this chokepoint. Cheers
actually currently out there now. Tons of activity on the sounder, not as much actually biting though. Have 1 nice keeper spring, but a bit more surprising, also i nice pacific cod. I have occasionally caught them off kitty, never in this before. Both near the bell buoy in 125ft of water

Attachments

• 20230913_072102.jpg
    20230913_072102.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 97
Anyone ever have luck on the inside of the bar? Area 14-11 been a few days I've launched out of comox and bee stuck on the inside due to weather. Trolled from goose spit to the inner bar crossing bouy and back yesterday with nothing but a shaker.

Just got back last night from my wife's bucket list trip to Newf and Lab. Any springs still at kitty?? Anyone interested gas is 183.9 in Labrador--Jeezus we are getting Hosed by Taxes???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back