2023 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fish out of Pacific playground several times a week with a heavy 17ft CC with a 115 and I do 3 ft regularly--if you don't do it much stick to 5ft and you'll be fine-just be careful and pay attention!!
3 feet is lots for smaller boats. We were out last weekend from P.P. to Kitty for a coho bonanza - 2 hatchery and 12 wild. 50 to 70 feet and bluish spoons. Maybe a Spring tomorrow?

Attachments

• 19065-157405.jpeg
    19065-157405.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks all, survived my Pacific Playgrounds low tide expedition! Did the run to south Quadra and got two nice slot size springs. 150ish on a cop car and AP sandlance. Brother in law reeled them both in and is now madly scrolling boats that sleep 5!

At one point I heard my brother say “where’s the other rod” after I turned the downrigger to the stern of the boat to help net a fish that had crossed over. Brother in law says “there it is floating” I start to jump over but can’t see it, hit the downrigger and thank got it is still attached to the clip, hand bomb it in and rinse with fresh water.

Loading the boat required removing the anchor to be able winch on the boat
and lots of trailer balance beam practise but didn’t fall in. 3 happy sons 3 happy grand kids and 2 fresh springs for my dads 80th.

Glad you had a good trip-mine was over 20 min after we started-put down a flashfly 34 inch leader behind a no bananas flasher 220 feet of wire two hits both close to the slot limit and we left
Were you out again today? I think I saw you leaving as we were pulling in for the night bite.

Went to the hump this time. Two beautiful upper slot and one lower. Just one coho that we even got to look to see if it was a hatch. Got a Pacific cod too.

Another cousin had his first salt water fishing experience and recovered quickly from getting sea sick to watch his dad reel in a great fish, then he saw lightening at Desolation sound and two cruise ships.

Sorry to the campers for pulling out so late. We cleaned the fish at home at least and got in the door at 00:01.

Out visiting the parents on the southern end of Denman for a couple weeks who would love me to take out their Explorer for a bit... its an offer I cant refuse.

Anyone having luck around Norris or even down to Little Qualicum these days?

Out visiting the parents on the southern end of Denman for a couple weeks who would love me to take out their Explorer for a bit... its an offer I cant refuse.

Anyone having luck around Norris or even down to Little Qualicum these days?
Lots of fish around the S end of Hornby
Report from friends have mentioned good ratio of hatchery Coho and some nice Chinook
Should be a good producing area for the next couple of weeks for sure
Good luck

Out early-fished deep-260 used a cone zone and a 602 --4 inch tomic 7 ft above . Absolute killer- we had 10 beside the boat took 2 on the slot--one red and one white. Haven't taken any white s at the green can CR
Do you ever find the plug hits the kone zone? I occasionally had that so I started running the plug below it

Had a go early this morning after the big blow. Used a 602 plug at 240 and fairly soon I had a customer . Pride go before the fall!! I felt pretty cocky-decent fish but let it go. The bait was very scattered and lots of blank screen time. My partner got a nice hi slot Fish. but hard work compared to the other day. Took awhile but I honestly think the released fish was bigger. Just my thought but that big blow seems to have moved them on.

Had to work for it yesterday at Kitty humps. 100+ boats to navigate. Eventually we got our limit of springs and a few hatchery … 7hrs on the water. Lost several at the surface.IMG_5501.jpeg

Just wondering if anyone has used the Kitty Coleman launch ramp with anything bigger than a tinner?
I tried my custom 17 aluminum CC with 115-thought it was the answer to my prayers as I fish CR and KC -Got it off OK but even cocking it off the truck was wetter than I liked. Wind got up a bit_and admittedly I am well past my "Best before date" but I knew I was in trouble and not to try it. Called my wife to get the trailer and I motored to Pacific Playground. Lesson learned!! There is a high water ramp there also but man it is tight if you don't know it. Be careful. My boat is heavy and has big wheels--so that's my take on it.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Kitty Coleman launch ramp with anything bigger than a tinner?
I have launched my 23’ on a lowish tide on the KC main ramp. I have a long trailer tongue, so I was able to keep my truck dry…. But at least person ends up wet. Wife no longer interested in being that person, so I use PP, Salmon Point or Comox. Lots of people drop off the side of the ramp on a higher tide.

I have used the high tide ramp once there, I think the tide has to be over 9’, and it’s very tight…. But the ramp angle is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back