2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything happening for chinook/coho around Bamfield? Heading up for the long weekend and have heard almost nil for reports. Would think there ought to be a few fish hanging around Beale area if there are squid around.

Was up in Bam on the weekend getting the boat ready for the season. Got a chance to get out Sunday morning. Fished the kelp beds tucked in between Sea Bird Rocks and Pachena Bay. Jigged a purple Lil Nib and a blue / white Lil Nib. Hooked two beauties that we lost at the boat. Decided to troll a 6 inch glow white turd hoochie at 35 feet off the downrigger and an Amundson green / white skinny g knock off at 28 feet. Went 4 for 4 with 3 springs on the turd and 1 on the spoon. 24, 22, 18, 15. Awesome morning!

Was up in Bam on the weekend getting the boat ready for the season. Got a chance to get out Sunday morning. Fished the kelp beds tucked in between Sea Bird Rocks and Pachena Bay. Jigged a purple Lil Nib and a blue / white Lil Nib. Hooked two beauties that we lost at the boat. Decided to troll a 6 inch glow white turd hoochie at 35 feet off the downrigger and an Amundson green / white skinny g knock off at 28 feet. Went 4 for 4 with 3 springs on the turd and 1 on the spoon. 24, 22, 18, 15. Awesome morning!
Squid in the bellies?

For those who may not know Area 123-1 Beale to Pachena Point is Non-Retention for springs until July 14😎

No reports from Bamfield because it was crazy slow this week.We were there wednesday afternoon to saturday morning.The road closure kept a lot of people away thinking they might not be able to get through,but it was a non issue with short delays.The second day there we were the only boat fishing from Beale to Bamfield when we ran in.The guide boats were getting 1 small spring and a couple of coho per day.We heard there were a few fish caught at Cree so we fished it the third day,and there were a Very few fish caught.On our return to Alberni I thought I would stop and catch a few sockeye,but we passed hundreds of boats doing nothing,saw 1 net out.Maybe too late in the morning to expect much.I've never slept so much on a fishing trip in my life.It was great to see the old spots that used to produce great fish in the past and the west coast scenery is still spectacular.The boys and I tried to keep positive,but it would have been nice to net a few more fish.I won't be going there this early again,wait till August as in the past it was great.

We will be there on Monday the 10th thru the 15th. Have never fished Bamfield but looking forward to it.

I did post in the Island Fires thread but apparently there is a 8'4" or 6" limit to the width at the road closure which forced us to change plans to run the boat across. It is 31' with a 9' plus beam that was going to be hauled from Nanaimo to Alberni. We aborted that idea out of caution as this was to be until July 7 at the earliest. We have one boat coming from Tofino and have now hired a guide boat out of the lodge so we have 2 boats between 6 guys. Will be out of Mackay Lodge.

We went through on Friday with my buddy's Grady in tow no road restrictions that we were aware of???easy peasy no delays of any consequence the road to ukee was dead as the ferry fears must have kept people away

We will be there on Monday the 10th thru the 15th. Have never fished Bamfield but looking forward to it.

I did post in the Island Fires thread but apparently there is a 8'4" or 6" limit to the width at the road closure which forced us to change plans to run the boat across. It is 31' with a 9' plus beam that was going to be hauled from Nanaimo to Alberni. We aborted that idea out of caution as this was to be until July 7 at the earliest. We have one boat coming from Tofino and have now hired a guide boat out of the lodge so we have 2 boats between 6 guys. Will be out of Mackay Lodge.
I’ll be there. Come say hello. White kingfisher soft top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back