2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMON Jarrod and Graham start a convoy at sooke and run up says seas are 5 ft at 14 seconds for friday

YEAH ill be there gonna put the boat in water in sooke tonight and first thing tommorow morning gonna run it up as thats really my only option. anyone els can join me and buddy up a convoy its only gas!!!!
Don't speed. I don't want to see your pic of your boat on Watershed Watch's page. Hahahaha

Your lucky you have that tank to make the run with.

I have done the run from renfrew to bamfield, pick you day and it’s a nice boat ride, it can get nasty on a bad day

I have done the run from renfrew to bamfield, pick you day and it’s a nice boat ride, it can get nasty on a bad day
I was tempted to do the run from Renfrew honestly. Running in 17 ft and 18ft boats is a bit of stretch though just in case something goes wrong. Friday looks golden for anyone running up.

I am going to run up from Renfrew as well, anyone know the best place to launch and park for 5 days?

I was tempted to do the run from Renfrew honestly. Running in 17 ft and 18ft boats is a bit of stretch though just in case something goes wrong. Friday looks golden for anyone running up.
If you pic your day, it’s definitely doable,your bucking the swell all the way there, so long intervals between swell makes for a nice run up, on the way back your surfing all the way back, last time I went made it in 2hrs back

Saw some reports that the gas stations are running low, is there still lots of fuel at the fuel dock?
I feel your guys pain, waiting all year for the west coast fishing trip and then this.
Best of luck!

It shouldn't be a problem. I assume you have fished at Camper at some point. I have done the run to Nitnat (about 20 miles) several times and the waters never been any worse than just the run to Camper. I have never run from Nitnat to Beale,(another 20 miles) but I can't see it being much worse.
Someone more knowledgeable may say I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Especially if you go first thing in the morning.
Any “Cape” including Cape Beale is worse than entrances to regular small ports and sounds. The run from Victoria to Bamfield and it wasn’t easy in a 30 footer. Give Cape Beale a wide bearth several miles in rough weather in my opinion. I wouldn’t go again in anything over 15kn of wind. We went and the gusts were into the 30’s my friend will never do it again.
Just got a helpful PM saying that based on emergency services calls the road is likely to stay closed for a few days. So... anyone that knows the coast want to weight up 1) Running up from Renfrew (24' aluminum) with the current wind forecast on Friday and back down on Tuesday, vs 2) Heading to Nootka and Cougar Creek instead?
If you have to get back Tuesday, don’t go unless there is a high pressure ridge that is forcast to last much longer. To much pressure for the return trip, unless you can leave the boat and drive with a buddy back.

Any “Cape” including Cape Beale is worse than entrances to regular small ports and sounds. The run from Victoria to Bamfield and it wasn’t easy in a 30 footer. Give Cape Beale a wide bearth several miles in rough weather in my opinion. I wouldn’t go again in anything over 15kn of wind. We went and the gusts were into the 30’s my friend will never do it again.

If you have to get back Tuesday, don’t go unless there is a high pressure ridge that is forcast to last much longer. To much pressure for the return trip, unless you can leave the boat and drive with a buddy back.
Yes Cape Beal can get snotty l that’s why I said pick youR days, 30 knots is not a good day lol. If your on a schedule and need to go on specific day or back on specific day it could become a bad boat ride

Great advice from everyone. Decided to launch in Renfrew tomorrow morning, and send a backup truck to Bamfield in case we can’t run back to Renfrew Tuesday. Hope everyone headed up to Barkley gets there ok, and has an awesome time. I’m in a dark alumaweld intruder w hard top, say hi if you see me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back