2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great advice from everyone. Decided to launch in Renfrew tomorrow morning, and send a backup truck to Bamfield in case we can’t run back to Renfrew Tuesday. Hope everyone headed up to Barkley gets there ok, and has an awesome time. I’m in a dark alumaweld intruder w hard top, say hi if you see me there.
Going up tomorrow will be doable, but no treat.
Coming back to Renfrew Tuesday could be tough if the present forecasts hold.
TUE
SW wind to 10 kt becoming W 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 8 ft.
Windy ap calls for 2.1 Meter swells at 7 seconds. That’s ugly
Windy: Waves

Not towing a boat... cowichan side is good.. ans probable not bad to the bamfield either.. alberni side a total dust and wash board show

Not towing a boat... cowichan side is good.. ans probable not bad to the bamfield either.. alberni side a total dust and wash board show
Thanks. Heading to China Creek later this week with the boat. Hoping the highway is open by then but considering going that route if needed.

Great advice from everyone. Decided to launch in Renfrew tomorrow morning, and send a backup truck to Bamfield in case we can’t run back to Renfrew Tuesday. Hope everyone headed up to Barkley gets there ok, and has an awesome time. I’m in a dark alumaweld intruder w hard top, say hi if you see me there.
how did it go...the run up and down and fishing??

Got back from Barkley last night. Despite fires, gales and road closures, we had a stellar trip! We launched in Renfrew and made the run up to Bamfield to pickup the rest of the crew. There was some swell, but we could stay at 25 mph comfortably. Side note, I was thinking of getting a deeper pitch prop for my boat, but with 4 guys (one at 300lbs and one at 400!) and an optimistic amount of coolers and ice, I can see why a shallower prop might be the better way to go. Leaving Bamfield we crossed over to Dodd Island for the 4 nights, which had a very protected anchorage in front of the camp sites. I slept on the boat's bench seats while the others set up a shore camp.

I can't give much insight for a fishing report, as I don't really know what I am doing or what the norm is. I can say we focssed only on Chinook and fished hard, w 10-14 hr troll days, and came home without much fish to show for it. We got a few at swale, but mostly fished Mears and Cree, with pokes out to Beale and in front of Uki. AS far as fish size, let's just say that if I were to use this trip to name my new-to-me boat, it's name would be 'MV Barely Legal'. As for others, Meares had 4-8 guide boats for most of the time we were there. I didn't see much getting boated, but did notice one guide w two clients keeping a 50cm fish at 730am, which might say something about his expectations for the day. When we were tying up in Bamfield, another guide mentioned things were slow and they were working hard.

We did a couple lunch BBQ's at Gilbert Island, which is where I will camp next time with the family. It is a nicer spot with a neat snorkeling area and forest for the kids to play, even if it is somewhat exposed to NE winds. Let's say the winds weren't 'ideal' on Tuesday for the run back to Renfrew, so we opted to leave the boat in Bamfield (I will be back in 9 days w the family for another go at the sound) and looped buddies truck around through the bypass to collect by truck in Renfrew. Overall, it was an awesome trip w great mates, so many wicked islands and views to enjoy, and it's a place I hope to spend many more trips fishing and exploring. Thanks again to everyone for the advice, and all the great content here and elsewhere, which was key for a first timer to get out to these places and have an enjoyable experience.

Got back from Barkley last night. Despite fires, gales and road closures, we had a stellar trip! We launched in Renfrew and made the run up to Bamfield to pickup the rest of the crew. There was some swell, but we could stay at 25 mph comfortably. Side note, I was thinking of getting a deeper pitch prop for my boat, but with 4 guys (one at 300lbs and one at 400!) and an optimistic amount of coolers and ice, I can see why a shallower prop might be the better way to go. Leaving Bamfield we crossed over to Dodd Island for the 4 nights, which had a very protected anchorage in front of the camp sites. I slept on the boat's bench seats while the others set up a shore camp.

I can't give much insight for a fishing report, as I don't really know what I am doing or what the norm is. I can say we focssed only on Chinook and fished hard, w 10-14 hr troll days, and came home without much fish to show for it. We got a few at swale, but mostly fished Mears and Cree, with pokes out to Beale and in front of Uki. AS far as fish size, let's just say that if I were to use this trip to name my new-to-me boat, it's name would be 'MV Barely Legal'. As for others, Meares had 4-8 guide boats for most of the time we were there. I didn't see much getting boated, but did notice one guide w two clients keeping a 50cm fish at 730am, which might say something about his expectations for the day. When we were tying up in Bamfield, another guide mentioned things were slow and they were working hard.

We did a couple lunch BBQ's at Gilbert Island, which is where I will camp next time with the family. It is a nicer spot with a neat snorkeling area and forest for the kids to play, even if it is somewhat exposed to NE winds. Let's say the winds weren't 'ideal' on Tuesday for the run back to Renfrew, so we opted to leave the boat in Bamfield (I will be back in 9 days w the family for another go at the sound) and looped buddies truck around through the bypass to collect by truck in Renfrew. Overall, it was an awesome trip w great mates, so many wicked islands and views to enjoy, and it's a place I hope to spend many more trips fishing and exploring. Thanks again to everyone for the advice, and all the great content here and elsewhere, which was key for a first timer to get out to these places and have an enjoyable experience.
Thanks for the report! My two Bamfield trips June can be pretty scratchy for springs of any size. Glad you boated some and had a good trip.

WELL bammy 2023 is in the wraps and was a blast !!! As you all know with highway closed it was a time to make decisions. SO decided lets put boat in last thursday (8th) and run up in the am!!!! the 9th woke up at 4 am 34 kts at sheringham BUT 4 at carmanah by 6 am it was 18 at sheringham so LETS GO !!! sooke was a bit nasty but not to bad muir chopppy jordon river chooopppy . then from there up easy !!! accually a good ride.
My first set of friends came up for 3 days
Day 1 we went halibut fishing close to home and did well after we moved. got a cople of halis in mid 30 and a big ling

Day 2 went out to the banks as it was flat calm took longer to get out then our limit then went looking for lings and cod did great again. And goofy hat day !!!!! you will see the picture LOL LOL

Day 3 short day went for salmon found them good off the sound lost more then we got biggest was 16. then those guys had to go home.

My hunting buddies came in for day 4 and of course THE WINDS !!! tried to get to halibut but to no avail way too rough so back in for salmon slammed them again with AP spoons and this ugly hoochie called the asian stripper????
Day 5 windy again so hit the salmon again did very well again same set up kept changing it up needle fish squirts and spoons .
Day 6 oh look windy again !!! back to salmon then we went and got some bottom fish.
Day 7 top up on our salmon . Quick am fish then gassed up and made the turn on friday to home.
Came across beale and with 4 days of winds HUGE swell there but from pacheana down to renny was gret rainy and foggy but smooth. from renny to sooke was FLAT had boat at 4300 rpm doing 30 mph she was happy. Otter the winds really hit but it was like a 2 foot chop and easy. from gas dock to sooke was just under 3 hours run.

Was a great time saw a fellow forum members who waved me over to say HI. Special
Thanks Derby, to Bish and sons and Trev from no bananas for there help made my trip easier.
Gas went from $ 2.20 to 2.35 in one day and it was kinda a ghost town to be honest most we saw at hotel was 3 cars.

For salmon we fished kinda all over widdlestone down to bam kirby, but most of our sucess was meares and austin. Guys said the road to bammy was in GREAT shape except for the accidents . on last day and the rain my buddies trucj was completly covered in mud LOL
never seen a truck so dirty LOL.
All in all was a fantastic trip and glad I made the call to run.
1687099729012.png
1687099748714.png
1687099769134.png
1687099786402.png
1687099801733.png

Has anyone ever anchored and camped on Stud Islets? Looking to get a report if this is a decent protected anchorage.

Thanks,
Taylor

Heading to Bamfield tomorrow w the fam for 5 days. How’s the fishing, any particular areas producing?

Just had hernia surgery but that’s not going to stop this trip.., Keep the reports coming will be out of secret beach camp ground for July Canada day long weekend In a CC 17.5 Tin. Tips for closer fishing spots to camp ground ?
Back again aug 8 th for a week in the 23.
also what channel for the area. Say hello if you see me out there would be nice to share reports ..boats name is kitchen Reno47A5C9F0-A715-486E-B59F-FEA283356860.jpeg
Cheers

Just had hernia surgery but that’s not going to stop this trip.., Keep the reports coming will be out of secret beach camp ground for July Canada day long weekend In a CC 17.5 Tin. Tips for closer fishing spots to camp ground ?
Back again aug 8 th for a week in the 23.
also what channel for the area. Say hello if you see me out there would be nice to share reports ..boats name is kitchen RenoView attachment 93957
Cheers
Channel 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back