Status
Not open for further replies.
Your story reminded me of a day I had halibut fishing with Mike Ensley of Happy Hooker Charters in Kodiak, AK several years back. I had a strong bite, but struggled for more than 30 min. to get the fish to the surface. Much to my surprise there were two halis on the line. Thanks to Mike and his brother-in-law we landed both; one was 112 lbs and the other 122 lbs. As it turns out they were chasing an octopus that hit my line as there were pieces of octopus still hanging from the line when I pulled it in. I guess they figured my bait was an easier meal so they each grabbed one.

Took a lot of wine that evening.
Great story thanks for sharing

Reactions: 6wt
Is anyone picking up coho or are they still further west?

Is anyone picking up coho or are they still further west?
I made a jaunt straight out from OB, shallow and fast with my fave coho spoons. No sign of coho. I did slay pinks there two years back, following a course between the South end of Discover and South tip of Trial.

Set sail on a sea of glass this morning. I was a bit late getting rods in the water but had a pair in the water for 0900. I started at the east end of Trial and trolled south through a few tide line’s prospecting for a fish.
Made it down to the corner of the shipping lane off Disco and got a hit on the port rod which resulted in 50cm clipped coho in the box.
Talk about a unicorn fish!

Attachments

• 002366E9-DEE9-4CFA-98D9-6E2A1DE1E4D0.jpeg
    002366E9-DEE9-4CFA-98D9-6E2A1DE1E4D0.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 158
Fished off Victoria, to Albert Head today. Lots of Coho action from about 0700 to 0900 then it died off. Had about 10 to the boat and managed to get a couple of clipped. Just inside the Shipping Lane worked for me. Surprised not many boats out there?

Fished off Victoria, to Albert Head today. Lots of Coho action from about 0700 to 0900 then it died off. Had about 10 to the boat and managed to get a couple of clipped. Just inside the Shipping Lane worked for me. Surprised not many boats out there?
Can you clarify, when you say Albert Head, and shipping lanes, do you mean where the ships anchor, or out by the yellow can bouy

Can you clarify, when you say Albert Head, and shipping lanes, do you mean where the ships anchor, or out by the yellow can bouy
No problem. I was fishing just to shoreward of the inner boundary line of the outgoing shipping lane on my chart I started at the mouth of Victoria harbour and angled out with it towards Albert Head. I also talked to another person who said they were fishing in closer to shore and had done well. Lots out there.

Walked the breakwater this morning. Harbor is loaded with ~ 2" bait-fish.

Late post: came back from Sooke yesterday after I caught a few fish, and my two clipped coho, and I arrived back at 2pm, just at the “bite time” was supposed to be In Victoria. Trolled the waterfront, breakwater, green can to see if I find me a spring to play. I didn’t! Stayed out until 4:15, with absolutely no action except for some kelp. Saw a few fish jumping on the surface, plenty of bait around, but no takers. Spoons, depths from 25’-90’.

Late post: came back from Sooke yesterday after I caught a few fish, and my two clipped coho, and I arrived back at 2pm, just at the “bite time” was supposed to be In Victoria. Trolled the waterfront, breakwater, green can to see if I find me a spring to play. I didn’t! Stayed out until 4:15, with absolutely no action except for some kelp. Saw a few fish jumping on the surface, plenty of bait around, but no takers. Spoons, depths from 25’-90’.
Thinking the same thing yesterday,trolled from breakwater down to the flats with the flood tide 1:00 to 3:30,1 bite that looked small.Thinking of moving the boat to Sooke,but not loving the idea of fishing in the fog again.

Fished out front of Vic today and there were about 20 boats, with a three foot chop.
Today there were three of us fishing and we started fishing at 630. Got our three springs and done by 8.
Stosh came along with us today and brought the good luck. We had a fish on every 15 minutes and had a couple that were good size but could get them to stay on. The biggest fish we kept was 80 cm on the noise and it weight was 18.01 lb.
I only use bait and went through 14 anchovies in the 1.5 hrs. 65 ft deep. All three springs were loaded with needle fish.

Attachments

• Stosh 18lb.jpg
    Stosh 18lb.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 124
Fished out front of Vic today and there were about 20 boats, with a three foot chop.
Today there were three of us fishing and we started fishing at 630. Got our three springs and done by 8.
Stosh came along with us today and brought the good luck. We had a fish on every 15 minutes and had a couple that were good size but could get them to stay on. The biggest fish we kept was 80 cm on the noise and it weight was 18.01 lb.
I only use bait and went through 14 anchovies in the 1.5 hrs. 65 ft deep. All three springs were loaded with needle fish.
Were u fishing at the breakwater

Breakwater to saxes point. Lots of weeds close to the breakwater and lots of crab traps off of Saxes. Saw a few guys hooked up on crab trap lines so keep you eyes peeled for floats. With the three ft chop hitting the side of the boat (30ft) it was a rocking sideways.
I usually fish Sooke, so we got out front of Victoria and we just started following the pack of boats and watching for net action.
Out to Sooke tomorrow to fish on different boat to try our luck.

slapped around in the wind and waves yesterday (monday) in Oakbay. Not a fish marked or hooked. Saw one or two hooked and lost but not hot action at all in Oakbay. fished flats and ten mile. One pukey child, and a green nephew. Really hard to keep a tack with the wind the way it was yesterday and working not in favor with current. We fished 1130 to 430 just tootling around trying to keep gear working. I'm amazed the kids lasted as long as they did without losing their mind.

Fished waterfront 7 - 12 this morning. Pretty bumpy but good action. Went thru pack and half bait. Picked up a spring around 12lb off green buoy and smaller one off Macauley. 1/ 2 dozen shakers, one wild coho and hits that didn't stick. Saw other fish netted so good chance to get something out front without headed to Sooke. Betsy seemed to be favorite color.

Fished out front of Victoria today from 630. to 1100. At 730 there was a bite for an hours and we got 10 &14lb and we saw other nets out at the same time. Then it went dead for the next 2.5 hours then we got another 10lb. Also caught a nice size Soc and a few small springs which we let go. There were about 35 boat out and the fish were all caught on bait. Depths all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back