Status
Not open for further replies.
Launched about 8:45 out of Esquilmalt, on the water in front Sax, green can, breakwater, from 70-165’ Just off from the bottom. Nothing to report. There was about 15-18 boats, only saw one shaker caught. Anchovy spoon and white hoochie, and a couple other spoons for a bit as well, but nada….great day on the water though

Out of Esquimalt today for something different. Fished from 10 'til 1:00. Unfamiliar with the area so fished the 120' contour out in front of Saxe pt. and then out towards the freighters. Not a lot showing. Hooked two fish, one a five pounder which I actually had in the net, but still managed to lose it, the other the same area, slightly bigger fish spat the hook at me beside the boat. Fishing alone sucks sometimes. One other pin popper. All on medium herring.

Super morning for January.

I know there were a few caught of the waterfront.

Well was out trolling for winter springs today ended up hooking this fella hahah to bad it’s not February. Safely released! Turns out coho killers catch more than coho ;) also a few nice winter springs around girlfriend caught the biggest yet again!!!! Super productive day.

Attachments

• 453044FB-EFD0-48B6-9FA8-560BA097BA22.jpeg
    453044FB-EFD0-48B6-9FA8-560BA097BA22.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 246
  • B25A52D6-B67F-4842-9740-3EEADF23E441.jpeg
    B25A52D6-B67F-4842-9740-3EEADF23E441.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 241
Yes it is but but it’s just there for a size reference. I do fish that one often with a no bananas spoon but didn’t on this day. The one I was using was bright yellow with a glo stripe vertically on one side of the flasher.
You are describing salty dawg! (Which I know is exactly what it is as we fished with them last week)

Lots of boats out today off Esq / waterfront. I had loaded everything up with plans of being out there today and found out my steering has seized up. Ended up just taking the family for a walk at Macaulay point. I am hopeful to get the steering figured out before Hali tides get good.

Off pedder/Constance for the 1 Feb opener of Hali.

more bouncy then I thought. No other boats around us. Maybe 1 in the distance.

missed a bite just after the 12 turn from ebb to flood. Got this at 1320 just now on herring and salmon belly.

hope to get another.

tomorrow supposed to be good tides but windy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 173
Off pedder/Constance for the 1 Feb opener of Hali.

more bouncy then I thought. No other boats around us. Maybe 1 in the distance.

missed a bite just after the 12 turn from ebb to flood. Got this at 1320 just now on herring and salmon belly.

hope to get another.

tomorrow supposed to be good tides but windy
beauty hali

Several boats out fishing the OB flats today. Another nice day on the water. Saw most boats with fish on at some point. Seemed pretty sporadic. Three fish to the boat, a 4 and two of about 6 lbs. Kept one. It's belly was loaded with small shrimp. Bounced bottom at 80', spoons.

Had a buddy tell me he was fishing Sunday. I wasn't sure if I was so I asked him what time he was starting and he told me "8am". I told him that I was lazy and IF I got it out wouldn't be till after lunch. I joked "don't worry I'll pop out in the afternoon, get in front of you catch fish within minutes and then be done"

I had planned to take my son out on the boat to just have a little boat ride/fun but he ended up ditching me for his cousin (my son is 5) so there I was by myself and my buddy was out still fishing but had no bite yet.

Got out just before 2pm feeling pretty lazy but it was nice out so I thought "why not". Met up with my buddy boat and we decided to try Albert Head since he had no luck at the waterfront.

Sure enough I get out in front of him, set up gear, we are chatting and bantering over the radio when I get my first bite and bring in small chinook which I released. It goes that way again and again then I even get a double header. Ended up with about 7 bites in a short period. Kept a nice fish for dinner and packed it in early.

Fun day and a bit tired as I usually don't fish alone. Netting and bringing in the fish without a helping hand is a bit tiring but we sure are lucky to live here.

Fish hit on any spoon I put down. I was between 100ft to 150ft with gear near the bottom.

Last edited:
Took the kids for a walk at Esq lagoon after work. The shallows where scattered with sandlance. It’s was pretty cool.
I will be out off albert head this weekend I guess

Attachments

• D86CF799-8616-41A0-B5D1-3ACF76A77AD0.jpeg
    D86CF799-8616-41A0-B5D1-3ACF76A77AD0.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 78
Quick Saturday morning report. Trolled from 9 until noon out off Esquimalt near the anchored freighters. Three springs 3-4 lbs released. couple of shakers and missed strikes. 120' with No-bananas spoon was most productive. Nice and sunny but a bit of a north wind kept it cool.

Out today at my “halibut hole” with a buddy from 8:45-2:15, pretty quiet day, harassed by 3 dog fish all day with the last one being a tyee, must have been close to 10lb. It was a bit confusing, thinking it was a dog, but then it would pull and give a few head shakes. Then thinking maybe it was a dog that was wrapped. But no, it was just a big dog.

Back to check the 2 traps, total of about 12, all males, but lucky enough 2 keepers.

Went to pull the boat out of the water, noticed that my tail light was ripped off. Lady was kind enough to leave a note, but have no idea how she was able to get it off, it’s basically wrapped and surrounded by metal.

Out today to the mud hole, 4 barkers. Offshore wind made it pretty sloppy for a while. Kept 3 big dungies from 2 traps

Two hours off Oak Bay today. Only two small springs, both under 4 lbs released. Crabbing poor. Where did all the crabs go?

The commercial crabber has been in Oak Bay for 5 years now. Always hit or miss in willows. Caddy Bay can be a little better. Willows has been good the last month or so even with the commie traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back