Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out for a coho trip with Rockfish today. We had flat calm seas but it was very foggy. We set up in the harbor and starting hitting coho in 200ft of water and out to 450ft of water. The bite was pretty solid with many double headers and consistent action. We kept two wilds and three hatcheries. White glow hootchies with short leaders between 50 and 70ft were the hot ticket. We saw a seiner out there laying a huge net in our coho area that appeared out of the fog!
They have one seiner doing chum test sets every fall. Coho are released with a hand dip net.

Out this morning off Secretary. Kind of slow compared to previous outings but still fairly regular action. Limited out with the two wilds being the bigger fish. Only one good sized clipped fish the rest sub 5 pounds. One decent Spring that was lost as it went right through my old net. Time for a new one I guess. All fish on spoons without flashers. 60ft seemed to be the ticket.

We had to wait until 9:00am today to have enough water at the launch at Sunny Shores. Fished from 9:30am till 12:30pm, in 300-450’ of water off Possession and the Harbour mouth but much slower than Sunday. One hit there, one hit here, sorta’ thing.

Boated a nice unclipped to start, then quite a bit later a decent 6lb hatchery fish. Then nothing much other than a couple of hits we missed and about three or four little 3lb unclipped fish we boated, all of which we released in the hope of something better.

It was not to be. Late on we got another hatchery fish and called it a day. The east wind had built by then and it was very bumpy, so leaving seemed to make sense in view of the slow action.

Hootchies behind dodgers again. One at 80’ at the other at 60’ and there was no noticeable difference between the action (or lack of it! :( ) on either rod.

Out today with 2 friends it was a slower day that earlier this week but managed 3 nice wild and 2 hatchery fish. Released 2 more wild most were caught on a herring aid Gforce spoon behind a silver betsy 50 to 80 ft. Off Secretary and just east of there. Nice day on the water with good friends

Went out yesterday afternoon with a buddy off Secretary, as it is close to the full moon and know that mornings usually don't work. The bite came on right away, had a purple UV coho killer on a 3 ft leader with a lime green flasher at 54 ft, other side a army truck hootchy with a betsey chrome flasher at 88 ft. was out for 3 hrs and came in with 2 wilds and 2 hatch. Once the hard ebb started flowing we switched up to 90 and 121 ft and only got 1 more hit, and a few feeder springs in the 8lb range. Seen only 2 humpback whales. Two of the cohos had juvenile salmon in its gut. All fish were caught in 400 to 500 ft of water. Two of the cohos had lines on them.IMG_0476.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out yesterday for a try at the fall coho. Fished out from Bedfords to the Trap 10am to 2pm in the strong flood. We managed 4 in the box and a few more than that lost. Spoons and hootchies seemed a tie for action as did 60' or 100' on the counter--it was mostly just a matter of driving into them in all that water. Lots of boats out, Juan de Fuca was a millpond.

Fished Sooke today from 730 to 1230. Ran all the way from Victoria in nice calm water with very little fog.
Got two clipped fish in the first hour and then it went spotty until 1030 when the tide slowed down. 1030 to 1230 got four more Coho and three good size 9lb+ and males. Ended up with 6 fish and nice size fish and released about 12 unclipped. Fish today were at 55 on the DR in 400 ft of water and the gear was needle fish hoochies.
On the way back to Vic we traveled about 2+ kl off shore, and from the Sooke Bluffs to beachy head, I counted 94 boats fishing within a kl from shore. Good to see a lot of fishermen out having some fun.
Sorry no photos, operator error.

Quiet today until about 10:30 then lots of quick action at 60-70 ft on hootchies. Morning trip we kept 4 wild and 1 hatch which was the biggest at 10 pounds. The afternoon trip we kept 4 wild in a shortened 2 hour trip as young kids were sick. Lost a few and released quite a few for the day. Clear night sky and big moon makes for quiet early mornings.

Fished 7-10:30 today had 3 nice coho in the boat by 8 and then it just died. 2 wilds and 1 hatchery all on glow Squid skirts and white hoochie 65ft. Another beauty morning but thought it was slow again. Guessing the full moon didn't help, but Oct 10 and still fishing in weather like this can't be beat.

Attachments

• IMG_2996[1].JPG
    IMG_2996[1].JPG
    303 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2998[1].JPG
    IMG_2998[1].JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3002[1].JPG
    IMG_3002[1].JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3005[1].JPG
    IMG_3005[1].JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
It was better this morning for us before the 10:30 bite...we ended up with our 3 wild and then 4 hatch by noon. Released a bunch more wild up to 12 pounds and lost a few. Then 2 wild and 5 hatch for the afternoon with lots of hits and more wild released. 55 to 70 ft all on hootchies.

Didn’t get out with kids until 4pm. Picked up 3 wild and a bonus hatchery. All caught in 400’ water. 30-50’ on downrigger.

We were out front in my boat yesterday. A gorgeous warm day with flat seas with some mild rollers offshore at times. It would have been easy to forget it is not mid-summer. The afternoon was best for us. The Ho fishing was exceptional on the long flood. We boated 6 hatchery including a hatchery double header. There are also lots of unclipped Ho's around, and we kept 2 leaving space open for the elusive 12lber or up large wild Ho if we got lucky, but no luck before we had to go in early for an appointment. Most were caught 70 to 80 feet down, but some were caught as deep as 120 and a couple hit on a black and white spoon off the center rod trip planner down an estimated 30 feet. The most were caught on either plastic or a very bling Flash Fly. As long as the weather holds, and we don't get a lot of rain, the good fishing should hold for a while.
No Chums for us yet, but we were fishing a bit fast for them. Anyone catching any?

Last edited:
Heavy fog early off the head and by 10:00 the wind picked up and made things pretty nasty, especially in an open boat. Most boats, including myself, headed in. We did manage two coho but pretty slow.
One humpback was putting on a great show in close to the head. Full breach within a 50 yds of shore. Lucky day for those out hiking.

We were out front in my boat yesterday. A gorgeous warm day with flat seas with some mild rollers offshore at times. It would have been easy to forget it is not mid-summer. The afternoon was best for us. The Ho fishing was exceptional on the long flood. We boated 6 hatchery including a hatchery double header. There are also lots of unclipped Ho's around, and we kept 2 leaving space open for the elusive 12lber or up large wild Ho if we got lucky, but no luck before we had to go in early for an appointment. Most were caught 70 to 80 feet down, but some were caught as deep as 120 and a couple hit on a black and white spoon off the center rod trip planner down an estimated 30 feet. The most were caught on either plastic or a very bling Flash Fly. As long as the weather holds, and we don't get a lot of rain, the good fishing should hold for a while.
No Chums for us yet, but we were fishing a bit fast for them. Anyone catching any?
Curious but not judging. This is the second post linked to Rockfish (other was October 04 by someone fishing with Rockfish) referencing retaining unclipped Coho. Am I missing something? I’ve released some chunky wild Coho and been heartsick doing it but others appear to follow different rules for 20-5. Que pasa?

Curious but not judging. This is the second post linked to Rockfish (other was October 04 by someone fishing with Rockfish) referencing retaining unclipped Coho. Am I missing something? I’ve released some chunky wild Coho and been heartsick doing it but others appear to follow different rules for 20-5. Que pasa?
releasing a chunky wild coho after Oct. 1 in 20-5?
I don't want to be the one to give you the bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back