Status
Not open for further replies.
We fished Muir Creek from 630 to 11 and not a bite. Never saw a net out. We did get some action with 7-8 lb wild Coho and about a dozen shakers. Today there were 7 sealions hanging around Muir Cr to Otter point 3rd rock. SLOW for us.

Out today from 6-11:30. went straight to the Trap instead of bucking the flood all morning. Started with bait and that got old real fast, shakers nonstop. Changed over to spoons and a white hoochie for the win. 4 straight on the hoochie, all hatchery Coho and also 1 Spring on the Hearing Aid spoon. A ton of junk in the water.

After our great trip on the 30th of last month, September came in with high winds and fog, so we did not get out until today. So now the chinook really have disappeared; if the pros on here say it is real slow, then us mere mortals have little chance! LOL:D

Anyway, fished Muir down to Sheringham and back a couple of times from 7:30 until about noon. Nothing but a couple of shakers and one unclipped coho returned in that entire time. At noon headed out into 300’ of water with hootchie/dodger combos at 45-50’ in case the chinook we encountered last time were still there. A guy can hope! ;)

Waaay off Otter again we finally had a couple of coho hits and boated a nice 6lb hatchery fish. That was it for the day. May wait for the main coho run now as lots of gas with little reward seems very expensive!!:(

EDIT : Forgot to mention. When we were at Sheringham saw the most crazy thing. Two guys each jigging on stand up paddle boards!! Flat calm at the time and current was mild but they were not wearing wet suits and if they were to hit a big chinook I think it would have been a hell of challenge!!:oops:

Last edited:
Out off beachy and trap today with tons of boats. Same results as most others with nonstop shakers on bait. Finally found 2 keepers 7lb red and 11lb white springs when switched to spoons. Seemed the only way to catch a keeper was by putting the line down and getting hit right away otherwise guaranteed a shaker would grab it in minutes. Gets real tedious checking lines every 5 minutes.

Fished Aldridge, The Head and over to the Trap from 6 to 10 this morning and we caught our fair of shakers but nothing to bring home. Didnt see much going on this morning however we filled up on Dungys. Tried Plugs and spoons left the bait at home, Fished mostly 50-70 feet getting deeper as the day went on.

Dan

We fished 730 to 130 in the beecher area. Started at the trap and were hopeful as the sonar was showing some great marks, but after a fast and furious bunch of shakers, we headed off down the flood towards the head. More shakers. So kept going. As we passed church rock we got one good hit that felt like a low teen, but turned out to be a feisty 7ish.

We were running spoons and bait. Spoons produced better for us than bait.

Didn’t run the camera today, too much crap in the water to risk it.

2 medium size springs, 5lb hatchery coho, and a copper rockfish for our hard work today.
The best part today was watching fisheries bust 3 knuckleheads for trying to keep a wild coho, then the 3 knuckleheads broke the winch strap on the boat trailer ( now your an A hole and your center stage )it was painful to wait but it was worth it to see them struggle.

Out from 7 to noon. We trolled out from Aldridge, treaded water at the Head in the flood for a couple of hours but then went out deeper and got a couple of smallish springs, biggest was 13 which came on bait at a 125 feet on the rigger.

2 medium size springs, 5lb hatchery coho, and a copper rockfish for our hard work today.
The best part today was watching fisheries bust 3 knuckleheads for trying to keep a wild coho, then the 3 knuckleheads broke the winch strap on the boat trailer ( now your an A hole and your center stage )it was painful to wait but it was worth it to see them struggle.
Which launch? I think I saw something going on but didn’t really pay attention to it haha.

Fished today from 11-6 Aldridge in close then out to 450ft and back to shore. Probably 7 shakers. 8 wild coho biggest 8 Lb.1 small keeper red spring 1 hatch coho kept. Green hootchie and bait worked equally well.

Could someone please let me know if tomorrow (Monday) will be decent current/tide to anchor up for halibut near the constance area?

Thanks

Fished today from 11-6 Aldridge in close then out to 450ft and back to shore. Probably 7 shakers. 8 wild coho biggest 8 Lb.1 small keeper red spring 1 hatch coho kept. Green hootchie and bait worked equally well.

Could someone please let me know if tomorrow (Monday) will be decent current/tide to anchor up for halibut near the constance area?

Thanks
After 2 looks appetizing...

We are heading to Sooke tomorrow for a week and just wondering what the regulations are as far as retention for Coho and Chinook salmon. I've been reading the information on the Fisheries web page but find it very confusing. What if any is the size for being able to keep these fish in Area 20-5, we normally fish just outside of the Sooke harbour or by Otter point. Any help and information would be appreciated, thank you.

out Saturday and Sunday, slow for me both days. First light at otter Saturday morning lost an absolute tank so heart freaking only 20’ behind the boat straightened and broke my hook after a few long runs. Lots of shakers both days went through a lot of bait switched to spoons Sunday caught a small feeder spring around 8lbs before the wind really came up. Fishing anywhere from 31’-120’ but couldn’t find much. I guess that’s pretty much it for catching any large Chinook this season for me. When do they usually disappear?

Out yesterday morning starting at Otter. Released 2 winters in the 5lb range and kept a red female that turned out to be 11.5lbs when weighed, great fight, ran as though it was much bigger. Was very slow as reported by others, not many nets out and I felt lucky to catch what I did. I managed to keep some of the shakers off by upsizing to a larger AP spoon and a larger gibbs spoon which I can't remember the name of. Lots of junk in the water and lots of boats out so moved over to the trap and the head to get some space, fishing solo sucks in tight quarters. Released another two nice looking winters that were bigger than the 5lbers earlier (hoping for bigger) between the two points and then a nice 17.6lb football shaped male hit that ran 4 times before I could wrestle him into the net while dodging the kelp. Turned out to be a white. Capped it off with a 5lb clipped coho that hit while I was resetting the one rigger to troll back to Sooke. Long day out but happy to have released the smaller springs so I could keep the big white. Tried a lot of different depths but 45-65 is where the hits were, everything on spoons.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 82
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 77
out Saturday and Sunday, slow for me both days. First light at otter Saturday morning lost an absolute tank so heart freaking only 20’ behind the boat straightened and broke my hook after a few long runs. Lots of shakers both days went through a lot of bait switched to spoons Sunday caught a small feeder spring around 8lbs before the wind really came up. Fishing anywhere from 31’-120’ but couldn’t find much. I guess that’s pretty much it for catching any large Chinook this season for me. When do they usually disappear?

You can catch big springs in this area well into end of September regardless what forum posts or people that love Facebook seem to imply.

It has been slower on weekend but I hear today is better. Best thing to do is go on water and get out there.

Last edited:
Despite what some people insist (and no doubt it was better in the "good 'ol days) the decent chinook do mostly disappear by early September. I personally have never caught a decent chinook after 2nd September. Oh sure, one or two may be caught by the real experts and they are reported with much fanfare. But to illustrate my point, we caught 4 chinook to 19lbs on 30th August, releasing the last two of course, which was almost one third of the entire catch weighed in by 128 derby anglers on the 3rd September! (See post above). Yet, there were many experts in the derby, so the decent fish do largely vanish by now, unless you are really lucky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back