Status
Not open for further replies.
1662215258923.png

Today was slightly better for us, but still slow.
Fished Otter and Muir from 6 - noon, released another 20+ shakers, kept 2 hatchery coho and a 7lb feeder Spring.
I think I'm going to take a break from salmon fishing now till October 1st.
Hopefully someone found a monster to weigh in at the derby!

Fished Otter and Muir from 6 - noon, released another 20+ shakers, kept 2 hatchery coho and a 7lb feeder Spring.
According to Tristan on the Sooke Saltwater report on FB, Sooke has been on fire lately. But only in the afternoon. I too have not experienced anything special since the Chinook opening.

We originally had planned for Hali this morning but the wind was up. Sure glad we changed over to chase springs. Started in Beecher bay at 9am. Nailed a 15 a little off Aldridge. Then an hour later we picked up another one around 16. As it got close to the boat, another big spring jumped out of the water right behind the other rod. About an hour later we picked up our third spring around 7pounds. Finally at 1pm both rods went off and a couple more springs around 7. Tossed the one back as we had our limit. Skinny G copcar and Gibbs Trailhead worked equally well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_140956556_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220903_140956556_HDR.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 67
Out for the derby and got our limit of feeder springs, lost a 15/16 long line release.

Soooo many shakers today. Chewing up a lot of anchovies

The thing I like about Pro Fisher and Wolf is when fishing off Sooke is slow they will post accordingly.
We are nearing the end of the 2022 spawning Spring season and will have to look forward to next year.
Most if not all of the non guiding regulars have got their 10 nice Springs for this year. It was a great year.
Time to stop killing those shakers!

Out early this morning and tried Pedder Bay from 6:15 till 10:30 am, a couple of shakers, and one pin popper that didn't stick. Gave up on the bay and headed to Beecher Bay. Started in the bay and worked my way around to the head, had another pin popper that didn't stick then finally was able to boat one about 15lbs. Had another hard strike that didn't stick and finally picked up another one around 13lbs. Was using large anchovies and a Skinny G Bon Chovy. All fish were at 80 to 85 on the rigger, one white spring and one marbled. Saw a couple of other boats hook up between about 11:30 and 1:00 pm as well.

SLOW and long day today with one fish lost and kept 1 small feeder. Fished both sides of Otter and had Muir almost to myself early on for a couple passes until boats moved up from Otter. A few wild coho are around and not to bad a size but not finding any clipoped to keep. Yesterday was slow all morning but we got into them after noon and ended up with 6 springs...but nothing over 15 pounds. The only thing I never tried was getting out into deep water and trying the gear down below 100ft...which has produced in past years. I think the fear of finding triple shaker springs stopped me from trying.

Fished two hours from 3 - 5pm off Possession. Released two springs, the largest maybe 8#. Kept a clipped coho and released another good sized wild one. Only a couple of shakers. All at 60' on bait.

How many ft of water were you fishing? Spoons or bait ?

Slow for us as well Saturday. Fished Otter 7-11, where we picked up two smaller hatchery spring (heads in the freezer), but otherwise just shakers. Only caught a few coho ourselves, only one of size flipped off while looking for the fin. Then down to trap shack until 2pm, lots of laps there, nothing but shakers.

Last edited:
Fished sun up to 2:30 yesterday. Started east side of otter then made a couple of passes at otter before heading up to Muir for a a couple hours. Then we headed back to otter but there were so many boats not catching that it was not fun to fish so headed back to Muir to get away from boats. Covering ground seemed to be good idea because the fish we caught were here and there away from the fleet. Kept a 13lb and 11lb spring, Lost 1 shortly after it hit. Released a few 3-5 lb springs. We then spent last hour and half near Secretary and picked up a hatchery coho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back