Status
Not open for further replies.
Also some coho in the mix plus a few pinks which is still odd for this time of year 1 guy has never been on the coast before and absolutely fell in love with with sooke the people and the lil town great couple of days with some great friends....
1660963400559.jpeg
1660963480504.jpeg

Kinda a weird day on the water. Fished the Bedfords at 5:30am, missed a good pin popper and released 2 wild coho. Then trolled across to Aldridge and hit an 8 and a 14lber between 7:30-8:30am. Then about 25 shakers till we quit at noon. The flood was ripping today, but luckily the wind wasn't as strong as forecasted.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_145327.jpg
    IMG_20220820_145327.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 59
Started at the trap around 2pm in 150’ water trolled towards secretary island. Within 5 min got into a #14 fat red spring. Turned around O’Brien point. During turn got two #11&12 hatchery coho. Trolled all the way back to the head nothing but 1-3 lb springs. At least 10+. All caught with spoons. DR depth 86-55’

What is happening out there today, Sunday? Small cohos still with hatchery mixed in? Any legal Springs? Armchair skipper needs to know to stave off withdrawal symptoms.

What is happening out there today, Sunday? Small cohos still with hatchery mixed in? Any legal Springs? Armchair skipper needs to know to stave off withdrawal symptoms.
If they are biting today, it may be dead tomorrow. If it's dead today, may be better or great the next day.
It's the right time of the year so pick your spot, (lots of choices,) and just get out there.

If they are biting today, it may be dead tomorrow. If it's dead today, may be better or great the next day.
It's the right time of the year so pick your spot, (lots of choices,) and just get out there.
You know the old saying…. “The best time to go fishing is when you can”. And now with these ridiculous rules, we wait all year for August. Make hay while the sun shines.

Fished today at my old favorite spot (Otter Point area) in Sooke from 630 to 830. At 7 landed a 79cm, then 5 minutes later a 9lb we let go, 20 minutes later another 9lb we let go. Then at 810 landed a 80 cm. None stop action from 7 to 830. All the fish we caught at 65 ft on the DR, with bait and in 90 ft of water. Got back and pulled the crab trap and had 5 nice crabs to take home. What a great day of fishing.

Only bad thing today is the guy who I fish with a lot in Sooke has to sell his boat due to medical reasons. Over the past three years he has not been able to go fishing with out me being with him to operate his boat and provide support. He purchased the 18 ft welded aluminum boat in 2018 and loves fishing so it's so sad he has to eliminate his last enjoyable activity. It sucks getting sick. I will post up his boat in boat for sale.

Now I have to find some else to help out fishing in Sooke.

Attachments

• AUG 21 SOOKE 2 X SPRING.jpg
    AUG 21 SOOKE 2 X SPRING.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 65
Fished today at my old favorite spot (Otter Point area) in Sooke from 630 to 830. At 7 landed a 79cm, then 5 minutes later a 9lb we let go, 20 minutes later another 9lb we let go. Then at 810 landed a 80 cm. None stop action from 7 to 830. All the fish we caught at 65 ft on the DR, with bait and in 90 ft of water. Got back and pulled the crab trap and had 5 nice crabs to take home. What a great day of fishing.

Only bad thing today is the guy who I fish with a lot in Sooke has to sell his boat due to medical reasons. Over the past three years he has not been able to go fishing with out me being with him to operate his boat and provide support. He purchased the 18 ft welded aluminum boat in 2018 and loves fishing so it's so sad he has to eliminate his last enjoyable activity. It sucks getting sick. I will post up his boat in boat for sale.

Well you did better than us today! Started at 6:30 at Aldridge, trolled between Beachy and the Trap until noon. Only a couple bites, lost a small one at the boat, but nothing else to speak of! Didn’t see many nets in the water either.

Sorry to hear the sad news. Sounds like a great last trip.
Stosh

This ^^^

That’s a real shame about your friend I’m going thru that with my better half

Well can tell you the fish that were here are either tight lipped or gone, as we had 2 on and didnt get, im hoping just tight lipped I chatted with my buds from beechy to west and thay all said the same SSLLLLOOOOWWWWWW , so doug was just at right place at right time imo,
We will see how today goes...
As for white springs ive got 4 so far this aug. and to report ive got 7 hatchery springs biggest was pushing 18.

I think I know who you are talking about. He is a nice guy and his son was the that taught how to fish from a boat.

I’ve had the pleasure of fishing with both of them a few years ago when he fist got the aluminum, made me want one and led to my upgrade to the Silver Streak.

Sad to hear the medical situation has progressed to this point…. I’d be happy to take him out sometimes if his medical situation allows.

Fished the Bedford's yesterday afternoon/ evening, got a 10 lb spring and kept it. It turned out to be a mature male, better known as a Jack. A couple other misses. All on a hoochie at 85ft.

Fished Saturday Muir to Otter. Released 1 8-9lb early at otter. Then lost 1 at Muir. Then nothing but shakers and a wild coho until 11:30. A short bite came on at Otter from 11:30 for maybe 45 min. Somehow managed to lose 2 more and a pin popper that did not stick. Then went dead again. I only saw 1 other spring caught all day other than during the short bite where I saw 3 caught. That’s more lost fish than my boat has seen in an entire season. My son was checking the boat for bananas.

Sunday decided to fish out of Beecher.
Started at Aldridge early for a couple of passes but too much weed in the water so ran to the trap. 10 min in and we released a beauty I’d say 26-27lb. Great battle and great start. Trap was packed with bait, water was calm, tide was perfect but did not hook or see another spring caught all morning.

There was lots of bait at otter and a ridiculous amount of bait in Beecher, at the head and at the Trap. So much my founder could not read bottom many times.
Maybe the fish are too well fed?
Certainly not the fishing weekend I was expecting for mid August.

Attachments

• 703B093D-7B1E-4F20-A1F4-06AE79642361.jpeg
    703B093D-7B1E-4F20-A1F4-06AE79642361.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 93FDED7D-3882-407F-BC71-BB59C4B22208.jpeg
    93FDED7D-3882-407F-BC71-BB59C4B22208.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 56
Whats your white/red ratio now down there?
My Aug records show the boats I've fished on have the following catch ratio:

28 springs lands, 10 in Sooke and 18 Vic water front.
2 white, not clipped and caught at the Vic water front.
1 clipped spring caught in Sooke.

Normally I fish Sooke but this year I've been putting in more time fishing Vic. Not a clipped spring yet from Vic. Where as a normal year in Sooke 20%+ of the springs we would land would be clipped. Probably because of the net pen project.
Thanks too, net pen sponsors and helpers.

Did an afternoon trip yesterday. Started off by losing a down rigger cover on my way from Langford to Cheanuh. ( A used DR with the digital counter that I recently bought as a spare but was using it as it's much faster than my other ones.) Had the other DR on board so did the swap and good to go.

Lines down at Aldridge at 1:30pm. A couple of quick doubles with small shaker springs. Slowed down after than but still random small springs and wild coho every 20mins or so. (55-75ft on DR) My buddy kept a 5lb spring and I kept one clipped coho that we picked up on our way back into the bay at 6pm (81 and 91 ft on DR)
Hi Newf, I just read on the Cheanuh Marina Facebook page a downrigger cover was found on Rocky Pt rd and dropped off at Cheanuh Marina this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back