Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Not sure if you can help me with this. I have a 2010 16' Double Eagle on trailer that I'm looking to store over the winter months. If you have room please let me know and I'd be happy to compensate you.
Thanks very much.
Mike
Get ahold of me in a months time or so ok...

So this is a short report and a lament for a season lost.

I took the engine to the dealer after the engine alarms and rough running encountered on my first shakedown trip on 25th of July reported here, following a bunch of pre-emptive maintenance (allegedly!) done in May.

Dealer said motor needed parts (flywheel and stator) and that would be three weeks to delivery. Oh hell I thought! So in an attempt to salvage something of the season I told him to put everything back and I would give it a try locally.

So went out today with some uneven running but no engine alarms. Could not risk running all the way west so stuck to Possession and harbour mouth. Released a little 4lb hatchery chinook early in the hopes of something better. After that nothing but shakers everywhere. Bait was continuously attacked in all the usual close in tacks run by the highliners and guides. Sometimes no indication on rod top and dragged half pound shakers who knows how far.

Late morning got another slightly bigger 5lb chinook (hatchery again) and kept that for the bar-b-cue. Released a couple of unclipped coho.

After lunch trolled into harbour mouth, packed up and fired up main for trip back to Sunny Shores. Immediate engine alarm again (low RPM mode). Switched off to try and clear alarm, and attempted to start again. Engine gave a couple of ominous clanking, rattling stutters and quit completely. Good decision not to try and run west! So sadly back to Sunny Shores on the kicker.

With at least three weeks to wait for parts, our season is now done and over before it started. So much for pre-emptive maintenance!!

Good luck out there guys. I hope you have more engine and dealer reliability luck than me!!

Last edited:

I took the engine to the dealer after the engine alarms and rough running encountered on my first shakedown trip on 25th of July reported here, following a bunch of pre-emptive maintenance (allegedly!) done in May.

Dealer said motor needed parts (flywheel and stator) and that would be three weeks to delivery. Oh hell I thought! So in an attempt to salvage something of the season I told him to put everything back and I would give it a try locally.

So went out today with some uneven running but no engine alarms. Could not risk running all the way west so stuck to Possession and harbour mouth. Released a little 4lb hatchery chinook early in the hopes of something better. After that nothing but shakers everywhere. Bait was continuously attacked in all the usual close in tacks run by the highliners and guides. Sometimes no indication on rod top and dragged half pound shakers who knows how far.

Late morning got another slightly bigger 5lb chinook (hatchery again) and kept that for the bar-b-cue. Released a couple of unclipped coho.

After lunch trolled into harbour mouth, packed up and fired up main for trip back to Sunny Shores. Immediate engine alarm again (low RPM mode). Switched off to try and clear alarm, and attempted to start again. Engine gave a couple of ominous clanking, rattling stutters and quit completely. Good decision not to try and run west! So sadly back to Sunny Shores on the kicker.

With at least three weeks to wait for parts, our season is now done and over before it started. So much for pre-emptive maintenance!!

Good luck out there guys. I hope you have more engine and dealer reliability luck than me!!
Better book Wolf for a few days

What kind of motor? I have a 150 Optimax that at this point, is a parts motor. After fighting with it not wanting to make any power, I put an old blackmax on the boat and it's been smooth sailing... at 34 knots on my podded Campion 188. If the Blackmax doesnt wanna run, I can beat it with a hammer or poke it with a screwdriver and wala!

Also, wouldnt say no to a new fishing partner, I want to get out more often than my family or usual cadre of buddies can get out.

Trolled around Beachy for a few hours tonight, one nice wild coho right off the bat, a dozen shakers, an undersized spring and one small hatchery. Tons of jumping fish, but whenever I brought the riggers up to 10-20ft they got quiet. 30-40' on the riggers and 300ft of water still seems to be the spot. From what I heard at Cheanuh, it was a quiet night for everyone.

Nice calm day today.
Out of Beecher early this AM. No love before sunup but got real fishy from 6-7 between the head and trap. 5 nice Springs to the boat in an hour, 3 oversize (released beside the boat) and two nice 14-15 pound keepers a bit shy of 80cm. Anchovy on one side, spoon on the other. 47-63 feet.
Lot's of shakers and smaller cohos also kept me on my feet for the whole ride.....

Really not the fishing report I was expecting to make today but we put up a zero for Chinook today
Fished Otter, Muir and Sheringham from 5:30am-11:30 and caught 30+ shakers, 6 wild Coho and 2 Pinks. Went through 2 packs of anchovy before switching to spoons/hoochies.
Tons of bait and fish on the sounder but we couldn't convince them to bite. At least it was a beautiful sunrise and morning.
Highlight of the day was seeing a sea lion eat a skate out front of the bluffs on our way back in.
Re-group and try again next week!

Attachments

• 20220806_054607_HDR.jpg
    20220806_054607_HDR.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 64
E85DF9B4-77A8-449B-88E3-6A7F2B40FE25.png

What do you guys make of todays tide? an all day slow flood.

To get an idea of what the water is doing, you must check the current table for race rocks. Also, backeddies create counterintuitive currents at beachy head, in beecher bay and in orveas bay and other locations.
SHHHHH.....I guess everyone knows now?!!IMG_5683.gif

To get an idea of what the water is doing, you must check the current table for race rocks. Also, backeddies create counterintuitive currents at beachy head, in beecher bay and in orveas bay and other locations.
I heard a rumour when I was up in Rennie that you had been up a few weeks ago, terrorizing the Chinook with that blue kayak, Z! See you at Otter soon.

Late Report--Fished Pedder Bay yesterday with my Son-In-Law. Lines down by 6:30am and had a fish on as soon as the first line reached depth. Only a 3-4lb spring and it was the first of many in that weight range. Throughout the morning he must and brought 20 fish or more to the boat. Most were just shakers but he did get to keep a 7-8lb spring, a 5lb coho and a rock cod. He handled all the reeling, as he rarely gets to fish so lots of fun for him.

Most of the fish were caught at a 80-100ft depth and strangely enough all fish were caught, except the coho, on the Wee G and on the same side of the boat. We tried to mimic the same depths, flasher and spoon etc on the other rod but not a nibble all morning. What gives? I tried different depths from 50-110ft and an assortment of spoons and flashers and a couple of hoochies but the Wee G on the other side was the ticket.

Today I gave a 3 hour fishing lesson to a couple from Langley on their 18 ft lake boat. It is sure hard to fish on someone's boat and use their gear when they do not have it set up correctly. Got delayed by a 1/2 hours because I had to re do all their fishing gear with correct leaders lengths, knots, swivels and lures.
We fished out front of the harbour from 715 to 10. I could count about 30 boats combat fishing at P point, so we stayed away from them and fished off the island and the bluffs. Lots of undersize springs. Managed to land a 88cm (25lb+-) spring at 70 ft on the DR and let it go. It was the biggest fish he had ever landed and he was pumped. Now they know the basics of what gear to use and how to run and roll bait and will enjoy the next calm days of fishing and exploring what Sooke has to offer.
Back out fishing in Sooke the next two days, so I hope I have a better report coming up.

Today, I noticed a few boats (WN) fishing out of Sooke that were fishing in Victoria yesterday. There were also numerous WN boats from the USA docked in the marina. I guess all enjoying a fishing get away.

We got lucky and managed 5 springs today up at Otter from 10 to 17 pounds but never saw any kind of a bite. Saw maybe 4 others caught by other boats. There are some nice sockeye around now as we let a couple go that took spoons. Quite a few jumpers around too. Long days baking in the heat....drains you by the end of the day,,,especially when constant Chinook shakers keep you out on deck tending the lines.

We got lucky and managed 5 springs today up at Otter from 10 to 17 pounds but never saw any kind of a bite. Saw maybe 4 others caught by other boats. There are some nice sockeye around now as we let a couple go that took spoons. Quite a few jumpers around too. Long days baking in the heat....drains you by the end of the day,,,especially when constant Chinook shakers keep you out on deck tending the lines.
I drove by Otter at about 8:30 on my way out to Jordan River to do some beekeeping. It was my impression that there were not that many boats at Otter for an August weekend. Was I mistaken?

I heard a rumour when I was up in Rennie that you had been up a few weeks ago, terrorizing the Chinook with that blue kayak, Z! See you at Otter soon.
I was there two weeks ago but fishing was slow. Try agian thurs fri.

I drove by Otter at about 8:30 on my way out to Jordan River to do some beekeeping. It was my impression that there were not that many boats at Otter for an August weekend. Was I mistaken?
well I can tell you Aug4 th there was 5 boats at otte,r friday was like 30 then this weekend was very slow for Aug , So we can tell DFO they did a great job as there really isnt alot of boats taking food away from the whales. I still find it hard to believe that 3 years ago we could keep 2 fisha nd didnt have to worry about sizes.... fishing like rollie said has been a bit tough with all the shakers going on. I did see something rather intriguing yesterday am !!! almost get to end of wiffen spit ohhhh whats this???apperantly the guy thought it was a good idea to anchor up beside the end of the spit at high tide ... came back at 2 and it was still there....

1659957946475.png

Motored out from Victoria early, arrived at the Head around 6:30 (beautiful flat ride out) got into a very scrappy 79cm white spring within about 20 minutes, anchovy, 66’, herring aid teaser. Stuck around for a bit and then we trolled our way down to Possession, with only one small hit. Did several laps in Possession with not much going on, only saw a few small ones taken, as we had a couple shakers as well. Trolled back to the Head, and just by the trap, we hooked into a 5-6lb spring. Same side, anchovy, 66’ herring aid teaser. Did several loops at the Head when the tide was ripping and we played dodge the **** in the water and clean our lines game for an hour before we trolled back to race rocks. Picked up a small spring just past Church, 99’ coyote spoon.

Attachments

• E3FFAD48-7A6F-43A9-AA17-844A8F5719DC.jpeg
    E3FFAD48-7A6F-43A9-AA17-844A8F5719DC.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back