2022 Brown’s Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started with a couple of tacks at Separation head 10:30am. No hits so I trolled over to the wall north of Deepwater bay. Lost a screamer then boxed six straight between 1130 and 130. 45 feet to 65 feet on the Riggers, pink and blue and MP 15 bubblegum pink all working when the bite was on.

F5B41BD2-1DFA-4796-A14D-0B404CC0CFE1.jpeg

Started with a couple of tacks at Separation head 10:30am. No hits so I trolled over to the wall north of Deepwater bay. Lost a screamer then boxed six straight between 1130 and 130. 45 feet to 65 feet on the Riggers, pink and blue and MP 15 bubblegum pink all working when the bite was on.

View attachment 86100
I'm planning on fishing next weekend for the first time out of Browns Bay for chum. What length of leader do you typically use for chum? Ive heard anywhere from 30" to 4 feet. Thanks.

I'm planning on fishing next weekend for the first time out of Browns Bay for chum. What length of leader do you typically use for chum? Ive heard anywhere from 30" to 4 feet. Thanks.

I like a 42 inch tail behind my green HotSpot or Okie flashers. Googly-eye (as wierd as they look) or 3 stands of bubble-gum pink hootchie on a black #5 hook are my go to combos

GS002R.jpg

32 ish, for me

Thanks. Launching tomorrow around 10. Will try and give an updated report for the Browns Bay area.
awesome thanks ill be up there for the chum derby october 21 weekend be a first for me fishing up there ive never fished up there if anyone has any advice i would love to hear for fishing there

Thanks. Launching tomorrow around 10. Will try and give an updated report for the Browns Bay area.
Good luck to you TipUp! slow day today for us.

First time in the area, be sure to know the Deepwater Bay RCA boundary. Two boats stopped inside today by fisheries.

awesome thanks ill be up there for the chum derby october 21 weekend be a first for me fishing up there ive never fished up there if anyone has any advice i would love to hear for fishing there
Watch the tides watch the currents watch everything; I was up there on a guided trip a few years back with a local guy and I pointed out a particularly nasty looking spot right across from Brown's Bay and I said 'that must be the place where that young fellow was drowned' he just shook his head and said quietly 'there've been so many'.

Watch the tides watch the currents watch everything; I was up there on a guided trip a few years back with a local guy and I pointed out a particularly nasty looking spot right across from Brown's Bay and I said 'that must be the place where that young fellow was drowned' he just shook his head and said quietly 'there've been so many'.
that guy drowned in the narrows. from what i recall it was a few guys in a whaler and a local was showing his alberta buddies the whirlpools and whatnot and they got into some trouble. alcohol was definitely a factor and they cancelled the derby over it. still pretty sad. the narrows are not a place to fool about. i usually just rocket thru there as fast as possible

Good luck to you TipUp! slow day today for us.

First time in the area, be sure to know the Deepwater Bay RCA boundary. Two boats stopped inside today by fisheries.
Thanks I have it marked on Navionics so will be sure to not fish in there. That's good to hear DFO has been out checking.

that guy drowned in the narrows. from what i recall it was a few guys in a whaler and a local was showing his alberta buddies the whirlpools and whatnot and they got into some trouble. alcohol was definitely a factor and they cancelled the derby over it. still pretty sad. the narrows are not a place to fool about. i usually just rocket thru there as fast as possible

They were transiting near the blow hole across from dent and as you all know it can open up and whip any boat around, overboard and gone. No chance to make it out. I hate narrows at the best of times, too.

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
Subject:
FN1155-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll - Chum - Area H - Area 12 and 13 - Johnstone Strait Openings

Further to Fishery Notices FN1143 and FN1153, the Area H Johnstone Strait Chum fishery will proceed based on a more precautionary approach that reduces the overall commercial exploitation rate on the Inside Southern Chum aggregate.

Area H Troll Johnstone Strait Chum harvest opportunities will be managed as an Individual Transferable Effort demonstration fishery subject to in-season assessment information. Based on the reduced exploitation rate, the number of overall modelled boat days to the Area H fleet will be reduced from 225 boat days to 180 boat days.

Each licence will be assigned an allocation of five (5) days of transferable effort, however, to remain within the maximum of 180 boat days, the fishery may close prior to October 31, 2022. The Area H Troll fishery will open on October 14 and remain open until a fleet-wide total of 180 boat days has been fished. There will be a one day closure on the Area B Seine fishery opening scheduled for October 21, 2022. It is imperative that Area H vessel masters follow the requirements of the conditions of licence to provide daily catch reports prior to 08:00 following each day fished as it will determine how long the fishery will remain open. If a vessel has filed a start fishing report and has not closed a fishing trip they will be counted towards the total boat days and the fishery may close prior to achieving 180 boat days.

Boat days will be transferable only among Area H licence holders. Transfers to other gear types or licence holders are not permitted.

A fishery notice with an update on the second opening starting October 22, 2022 will be provided.

Area 12:
Troll will open from 00:01 hours October 14 to 23:59 hours October 20, 2022 in the following Subareas:

12-1, 12-2;

A portion of 12-3 (closed south or inside a line from a boundary sign at 50 degrees 29.137 minutes north and 126 degrees 34.245 minutes west to a boundary sign at 50 degrees 29.255 minutes north and 126 degrees 36.680 minutes west (Tsitika River boundary);

12-4 and 12-5.

Area 13:
Troll will open from 00:01 hours October 14 to 23:59 hours October 20 in the following Subareas:

That portion of Subarea 13-3 northerly of a line from a boundary sign at Orange Point to a daybeacon on Steep Island and westerly of a line from a daybeacon on Steep Island to an unnamed point on Quadra Island located at 50 degrees 05.565 minutes north by 125 degrees 15.769 minutes west;

13-6;

13-7 (excluding Deepwater Bay, from the boundary sign at 50 degrees 11.434 minutes north and 125 degrees 20.268 minutes west to the boundary sign at 50 degrees 10.861 minutes north and 125 degrees 20.885 minutes west);

13-8 to 13-10;

a portion of 13-11 lying west of a line from Bodega Point on Quadra Island, to a boundary sign on Quadra Island at 50 degrees 16.390 minutes north by 125 degrees 22.620 minutes west;

13-27 to 13-29;

13-30 (excluding the Amor de Cosmos Creek mouth boundary, closed in those waters surrounding the mouth of the Amor de Cosmos Creek inside the radius of a circle 337 m in diameter intersecting the shoreline at 50 degrees 21.862 minutes north by 125 degrees 41.164 minutes west [east of the creek mouth] and 50 degrees 21.658 minutes north by 125 degrees 41.630 minutes west [west of the creek mouth]);

13-31, 13-32, 13-35;

a portion of 13-40 lying west of a line running from the boundary sign on West Thurlow Island (approximately 1.5 miles east of Eden Point) to the boundary sign on the opposite shoreline on Hardwicke Island.

Variation Order No. 2022-JS-TR-001

NOTICE TO ALL TROLL FISHERS:
1. The target species to be retained is Chum Salmon. Pink Salmon may also be retained. There is non-retention and non-possession of Sockeye, Coho, Chinook and Steelhead.

They were transiting near the blow hole across from dent and as you all know it can open up and whip any boat around, overboard and gone. No chance to make it out. I hate narrows at the best of times, too.
we must be talking about different events. i have friends that were assisting in the recovery in the narrows; but yes many of the narrow choke points whether it be seymour, dent, arran, hole in the wall should not be trifled with

Fished Plumper Bay and Deepwater Bay from 11 to 330 today. No fish for us and only saw a few caught. The wind and current made for tough fishing. The only fish we saw caught were on the lone commercial troller in Deepwater Bay.

Very slow fishing today. Only saw 1 fish come in at deepwater. Moved to Greensea Bay in the afternoon and joined the commercial boats. No action there and never saw the trollers pull anything in.

Spent Saturday and half of today mostly along the wall up from Deepwater Bay. We managed 4 for 6. It was slow for sure. Watched trollers do okay, but not great either.
The conditions were SPECTACULAR. It was hard to believe it was the middle of October!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back