Out Sunday Morning, Picked up 5 springs on the flats. Got 3 to the boat, lost 2. It was a quick bite 1 hour only from 6:20am-7:20am. They are just mouthing the the lures. Only 1 fought really good. Beauty day.
Have you heard of any pinks at the Flats? I got one 5.5 lb pink on Tuesday at 8 am. Gave a a good fight including a jump.

Heard group boat caught 10 pinks somewhere off Oak Bay but my source had no details on location.

Fished Constance for halibut on the change and the waterfront for salmon.
45 lb. halibut and a high 20’s white spring. The salmon makes the halibut look small it was 47”
Wow you’re on a roll. That’s a beauty duo of fish

Have you heard of any pinks at the Flats? I got one 5.5 lb pink on Tuesday at 8 am. Gave a a good fight including a jump.

Heard group boat caught 10 pinks somewhere off Oak Bay but my source had no details on location.
Hi, No Pinks that I can see on the flats. I am sure there is some, but I don't target them at all. 5 Springs today on Flats aftenoon. All Feeders all 5-7 lbs.

Hi, No Pinks that I can see on the flats. I am sure there is some, but I don't target them at all. 5 Springs today on Flats aftenoon. All Feeders all 5-7 lbs.
How shallow do people fish the flats? I see quite a few boats close to shore . Have had some luck running the 80- 100’ contour line but never tried in close.

on the flood I have had success tight to both great chain and trial. it is rocky and there are a few humps but 50 feet is a average near chain and 90 near trial.

Left the dock at 7:15 this am, went to try a little luck for halibut with my 3 guests at the tide change, before moving o nto targeting salmon.
really strange tide change today, change was suppose to be about 8:15, never really started flooding until around 10:00. The gang was antsy so we packed up and headed over to Constance to try our luck at salmon. Spent about 3 hours there with nothing to show for it except about 9 undersized lings. I found it very weird that we hooked so many lings considering we were fishing from 35-80’. Close to the bottom, sure I get it, but 45’ in 80’ of water hmmm?

anyway, nothing for my guests to take home today except a memory of a long boat ride.

anchovy and spoons for salmon and salmon heads for halibut

Left the dock at 7:15 this am, went to try a little luck for halibut with my 3 guests at the tide change, before moving o nto targeting salmon.
really strange tide change today, change was suppose to be about 8:15, never really started flooding until around 10:00. The gang was antsy so we packed up and headed over to Constance to try our luck at salmon. Spent about 3 hours there with nothing to show for it except about 9 undersized lings. I found it very weird that we hooked so many lings considering we were fishing from 35-80’. Close to the bottom, sure I get it, but 45’ in 80’ of water hmmm?

anyway, nothing for my guests to take home today except a memory of a long boat ride.

anchovy and spoons for salmon and salmon heads for halibut
Had the same experience a couple days ago, loads of undersize lings in the mid water. And zero decent springs unfortunately.

Interesting seeing other were getting small ling. I took my kids out jigging for bottom critters and they caught an absolutely silly number of undersized ling all over whirl bay and vicinity. We couldn't find a spot that wasn't crawling them. Kids thought it was fun. I've never seen anything like it.

Did a quick outing to try out the new boat. Trolled the flats at the top of the flood. Two immature springs right of the bat, kept one of about 5 lbs to christen the boat. Beautiful out there.

Did a quick outing to try out the new boat. Trolled the flats at the top of the flood. Two immature springs right of the bat, kept one of about 5 lbs to christen the boat. Beautiful out there.
Hi tell us about your new boat I enjoy your posts

Not a word about the new boat, shame shame...lol. story, pics.....

A bigger tin boat. My wife actually wanted me to get a safer boat. Picked up one of those Versatile welded boats. Seem to be a good basic skiff. Maybe not a Lifetimer or a Silverstreak, but not the price either, and they are not a two year wait. Put a new 40 on it. Couldn't find a 30.
We really need a picture ;) and 40 is always better than 30!

Back