The regs show that area closed, wonder if the commercial boats bitched loud enough
to get all the fishing boats gone.
Sucks for August breakwater fishing
Possibly the Pilot boat guys bitched too,I've seen them swamp tinnys at the end of the breakwater in August,sent them a nastygram.

For me reading the words "regulation description" followed by Ogden Point Closure - no spear fishing while diving means it for just that.
Those words are from an app that "makes no representations or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the content...and expressly disclaims any liability for errors and omissions in the content."

I'm sure the app has its uses, but I'll go with the actual regulations on the DFO website.

I think this discussion is useful, but it probably belongs somewhere other than the reports section.

Talked to a prawn boat yesterday. They have lost 15 large floats to freighters since the opening. If you find one of their floats and call them, they will give you prawns when you return it.
Hey Porcupine, Do you know how to get ahold of these prawn commercial guys. I pick up one of their floats today. I nice big orange one. Probably worth some prawns. There is no phone # on the float. Any help to get this back to them so I can get some prawns for dinner.

Hey Porcupine, Do you know how to get ahold of these prawn commercial guys. I pick up one of their floats today. I nice big orange one. Probably worth some prawns. There is no phone # on the float. Any help to get this back to them so I can get some prawns for dinner.
Phone Finest at Sea as they have 4 boats out there.

first trip of the year!!!!!! near border 350 ' dropped the pic at 715 current good - a little hotter early in the afternoon but still able to keep gear down . 13 dogfish and a skate lol !!!!! no hali love for us but unfortunetly saw a longliner to the west of us ! gorgeous day on the water no boats around us ... herring octo and salmon bellies working great for skate and dogs if any one interested lol. great currents this cycle but big winds expected the next 4-5 days -****** good luck this year everyone !!!!!!

first trip of the year!!!!!! near border 350 ' dropped the pic at 715 current good - a little hotter early in the afternoon but still able to keep gear down . 13 dogfish and a skate lol !!!!! no hali love for us but unfortunetly saw a longliner to the west of us ! gorgeous day on the water no boats around us ... herring octo and salmon bellies working great for skate and dogs if any one interested lol. great currents this cycle but big winds expected the next 4-5 days -****** good luck this year everyone !!!!!!
“Finest at Sea” on Erie St in Victoria runs long lines off Victoria.
Fishes hali inside all spring then moves his gear to the west coast.
No such thing as giving the inside sporties a fair chance at the hali.
My wish for him is a dogfish on every hook!!

Was thinking of heading out Thursday but it looks pretty windy as you said.

“Finest at Sea” on Erie St in Victoria runs long lines off Victoria.
Fishes hali inside all spring then moves his gear to the west coast.
No such thing as giving the inside sporties a fair chance at the hali.
My wish for him is a dogfish on every hook!!
Good people work there and they give good money and support for the Pacific Salmon Foundation. I feel your frustration and may have uttered the same words when shaking dogs of my line, but we need local businesses and good people as allies not enemies.

Try salmon heads if you are getting too many doggies, and I know we can't catch anything right now but some of the grocery stores might sell them.

Good people work there and they give good money and support for the Pacific Salmon Foundation. I feel your frustration and may have uttered the same words when shaking dogs of my line, but we need local businesses and good people as allies not enemies.

Try salmon heads if you are getting too many doggies, and I know we can't catch anything right now but some of the grocery stores might sell them.
St Jeans in Nanaimo sells them. $5.50 for a box of 8

St Jeans in Nanaimo sells them. $5.50 for a box of 8catch
Those who fish the Victoria Area will tell you Halibut fishing is not like it used to be.
VERY few halibut over 110 cm. Most are between 80 and 100 cm.
You will have trouble catching these small halibut in the Victoria area on a salmon head, even if the head survives the dog fish.
Dog Fish however are not the main problem.
The fact is between the Commercial Guides, the Sports Fleet and the Commercial Long Liners there are simply not enough halibut to go around.
Personally, we have been doing ok, but put in the hours and know the spots that have produced for us over the years.
The Mud Hole, Discovery, East of Constance and South Haro. Too many dogs off Coyote (Border Bank)and Middle Bank right now.
Depths vary greatly. Anywhere from 200 to 350 feet. The usual bait, salmon bellies, herring and octopus.
Don't use scented rubber and just so you know the dogs will chew them up too!!

Yes, I don't know if there is publicly accessible data on it, but the signs I think I've seen over the last decade of the SVI halibut sport fishery
- smaller average size
- reduced catch per unit effort
- exploiting deeper waters to find fish
Those are classic trends familiar to many fisheries in the world and I don't think there is anything surprising going on here. I think it is very probable that the extra regulations and reduced opportunities for chinook salmon in recent years have added to the pressure on halibut in SVI. It should not shock anyone in coming years if/when there are increased controls put on the fishery.

That said, I'll still throw out the pick, get the stinky bait out, and try my luck the odd time.

Excellent Halibut fishing tuesday and wednesday. Landed 8 fish. 3 tues 5 on wed. One was near the 133 limit and was released while being measured.’doh’
the rest were 90 or smaller, 87 was a popular size. Medium herring on skirt or twister tail, didnt seem to matter. One dog fish in the two days but the rat fish were bait stealers. So checking the gear often was key. Hint. i was in the mud.

Catch em up

JL

Excellent Halibut fishing tuesday and wednesday. Landed 8 fish. 3 tues 5 on wed. One was near the 133 limit and was released while being measured.’doh’
the rest were 90 or smaller, 87 was a popular size. Medium herring on skirt or twister tail, didnt seem to matter. One dog fish in the two days but the rat fish were bait stealers. So checking the gear often was key. Hint. i was in the mud.

Catch em up

JL
Tuesday was one of the most productive Halibut days off the Victoria waterfront for me in years! I was zero for 4 trips but made up for it on Tuesday in a 3 hour window. Both herring and salmon belly did the trick.

Back