My current tables show good tides up
to Friday of this week for hali. Dont think I would even attempt Friday's currents out on the bank. Sunday looks really sporty with stronger currents for constance for hali.

Any one else have thoughts?
I would read it the same way--going off dairiki for Race Passage I would think Friday might be a tad strong to anchor out the entire flood. At least for tourists like myself. Maybe it would be ok in some weaker current areas like Albert Head. Thursday looks perfect, too bad I'll be working.

Yes they do. You have to treat getting spiked very carefully. Really watch that it doesn't get infected. I know someone who got spiked in the thumb and developed necrotizing fasciitis. They had to have the end of the thumb amputated. Maybe just super bad luck, but those spikes freak me out!
Last summer I took a black rockfish spine through my boot to the big toe joint. I went in to a clinic for antibiotics on day 2 when it still hurt and then to the ER on day 3 when it got red. After Xray Dr said no spine left behind but that it had triggered gout in the toe. So that was a painful few days and now get recurring gout outbreaks every couple of months. Looking back I should have gone with hot water baths on the toe asap to break down the venom.

I even usually play it extra careful on the cleaning table by using scissors to disarm the venomous spines before filleting.

Just moved my boat in from Sidney. Are you finding the current predictions from Race give you a good indication for Constance ( although high I’d guess) do you also look at the station for Juan de Fuca ? Just trying to dial in the best sources for current prediction. I also use the version of Murrays tables.

Last summer I took a black rockfish spine through my boot to the big toe joint. I went in to a clinic for antibiotics on day 2 when it still hurt and then to the ER on day 3 when it got red. After Xray Dr said no spine left behind but that it had triggered gout in the toe. So that was a painful few days and now get recurring gout outbreaks every couple of months. Looking back I should have gone with hot water baths on the toe asap to break down the venom.

I even usually play it extra careful on the cleaning table by using scissors to disarm the venomous spines before filleting.
I use this. it is expensive but after several gout episodes, I ordered it. I took 2 tablets a day for 2 weeks and now 1 tablet each morning and no gout last 9 months

Just moved my boat in from Sidney. Are you finding the current predictions from Race give you a good indication for Constance ( although high I’d guess) do you also look at the station for Juan de Fuca ? Just trying to dial in the best sources for current prediction. I also use the version of Murrays tables.
I use this station for constance.

I would read it the same way--going off dairiki for Race Passage I would think Friday might be a tad strong to anchor out the entire flood. At least for tourists like myself. Maybe it would be ok in some weaker current areas like Albert Head. Thursday looks perfect, too bad I'll be working.
Yup. I took tomorrow off for good currents because this weekend coming looks too fast.

Was out today with some decent chop, rolled by some boys in a tin boat without a buoy for their anchor line, living on the edge considering the weather. I accidentally ended up set up for Hali with a prawn trap float a couple hundred feet behind me so Grandma and Grandson enjoyed lunch out of the wind, then I picked up my re-rigged heavy anchor chain and way to much rope, to drift for an hour with one herring down and my sons rig without a hope in hell of hitting the bottom. Pulled in 40 jumbos. Saw the bridge come up and I think I got some of it on the go pro. Lots of radio chatter including a diver in trouble in the US and a dead battery at Constance so someone made it out there but the wind kicked up.

Weather permitting I’ll be out quite a few more times this week, then gulf island for the weekend. I’ll be putting the hours on her!

Moved the boat in from Sidney so feeling my way around a new fishing area. Headed out to Constance yesterday and got a 20# halibut. Three or four other boats out there and by the sounds of things quite a few over Albert Head way. Lots of warnings over the radio telling them to clear the outbound shipping lanes.

Moved the boat in from Sidney so feeling my way around a new fishing area. Headed out to Constance yesterday and got a 20# halibut. Three or four other boats out there and by the sounds of things quite a few over Albert Head way. Lots of warnings over the radio telling them to clear the outbound shipping lanes.
Nice work, are you moored at Oak Bay now? Reciprocal moorage?

I'm heading out in a few minutes, going to be watching the wind and keeping out of the shipping lanes.

I'm heading out in a few minutes, going to be watching the wind and keeping out of the shipping lanes.
Good luck buddy! Hopefully you get a nice one!

No, I was in Westport out here and they have no reciprocal agreement. Going to try this out for a year given there are so many closures out Sidney way. Maybe if I do move the boat back out to Sidney I’ll try North Saanich and look into the reciprocal route.

We were out yesterday West Constance got two chickens.
Anyone know the general area where Trevor of No Bananas is fishing? He has been doing really well last two trips.

We picked up a 14lb and a 28lb yesterday at East Race area. Sounds like a few were picked up in that general area. Great day. Saw a couple of chickens at the dock when we got back to Pedder.

Anyone know the general area where Trevor of No Bananas is fishing? He has been doing really well last two trips.
He's fishing the Canttellsyabank. South of Canttalkaboutit Creek.

We got one chicken yesterday. Couple dogs and a big skate. Apparently I am the Skate King.
Weather was great. Figured we would have got more than one with the time we put in.
Couple crabs outside of Pedder. Deeper water is producing more crabs for me lately.

He's fishing the Canttellsyabank. South of Canttalkaboutit Creek.
That's exactly where we got our two yesterday and I can tell you he was not there!
He is often in the same spot or area we are fishing.
I think he is either at Coyote Bank and have been fishing his spot there for over 15 years with mixed success, or he is west up the strait.
I do not believe he is in the Mud Hole where we saw him often on the same spot all early season.
A few years ago we had a favorite spot out toward Jordan River and did REALLY well. Only problem was we were in 500'. of water.
Don't care to go that far for a halibut any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a GPS tracker on his boat, lol

Got a few chickens and a few bugs today, before demobilizing for a family weekend on the boat in Sidney. Fished deeper than usual and it paid off. Got some Octopus which figured in a small way with our go to extra large herring. Had a pretty big bite out of our salmon head, but it might have been a large doggie.

Amazing how much gear it takes, I still dream of the west coast hat trick, I had considered bringing a crab trap and dropping our Hali head from last week, but thankfully I didn’t. Putting the FU 4 year old down is hard after a long day on the water! Glad we got in before this wind really blew up, it was choppy heading out and not easy to pull the traps with the extra weight you guys sold me!

We were on the forgetaboutit hole. Friend gave me the tip and I don’t want to end up as Hali bait.

Back