Nice fishy kind of morning. Lots of boat off shore looking for bottom fish. Everyone I talked to had caught one or more big Cabazons. Large Lings were few. I gave salmon a couple of hours on the flood got two, biggest about 12#. Crabbing was good.

Had started our journey to Renfrew for an epic overnighter when we hit the fog just before Race Rocks, scoured the charts for spot to fish for hali while we waited for the fog to burn off. Had a bit of a time setting up in the wind fog and current but buddies new Trotac anchor system worked perfectly.

Must have dropped a ball in the head of a hali as we had a fish on right away that fought pretty good but it was mostly current, buddy got to gaff his first Hali ever and we had a 91cm on board. About 45min later my rod goes off again, had barely cleaned up the boat, I give it to my buddy who is on his new to him conquest and he makes good use of my two speed reel. Little bigger, 101cm and we are limited out before 9am when we were going to hunt monsters at Swiftsure. We pull the anchor in thick fog, head back toward vic. Jig up a cod in the sun and ended up having hali for a late lunch.

Where are you guys seeing weather forecasting that may include a fog predictions? My boat has radar overlay but his doesn’t and even then, not worth long runs in the fog for a couple of fish, even though we had planned to hit nit nat for springs and also go for lings.

6 for 3 trips, my luck has turned and I’m fishing deeper. 300 plus feet and herring. Good luck tomorrow anyone who is heading out for the morning window!

thats interesting Kaelc as I looked at fog last night and noticed there was a bit around Race- Sooke then clear so I figured you would have made the trek. Currents and tides and weather all looked pretty good.
you can use the Windyty app and layer down a couple and scroll down and you can see fog. Sounds like the trip saved some gas and worked out.

Attachments

• 76054310-7892-41EF-9C39-60CDACBF31F5.jpeg
    76054310-7892-41EF-9C39-60CDACBF31F5.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 34
@Original thank you! The wind was stronger then I thought it would be from Windy’s predict the chop was about what I was thinking it could be but hoping it wouldn’t be. Fog looked thick as hell well until 10:30 or so when we headed back for home. Given how new the boat is to him and of course being my first time on it and no experience running a boat like that we made the right choice. Sometimes plans of mice and men are a little better in our heads then reality!

Oak Bay flats. 0.2 wave height my butt! It did flatten out later. Nice to see a few boats out salmon fishing. Little bit of fog. Fished two hours on the flats during the last part of the ebb and missed one strike as I was using the bucket. IMO the later half of the flood if you can get out is ideal.
Checked my crab traps after two hours and they were loaded. Mostly unders and females but I still got to pick and choose my 4 of several good ones.
Jigged and as per usual several small lings, rockfish and one hog of a Cabezon. Those things are like pulling up a sack of potatoes.

Out today off Esq. 9;00-3;00 beauty day with a steady chop. Could see a few boats out further than us but we drifted from 300 ft and in a few times but no love. Rebaited the carb traps and did a test troll for chinooks and was rewarded by a nice 10-12 hatch 100ft off Mcaulay point. Lots of just under crabs and few keepers.

Last edited:
Anyone know why there are commercial floats on or near shallow rocks. (60'). Not a good place for D. Crabs and I would think too shallow for prawns.

We lost a commercial looking crab pot any names words on it?
Got a 30 and 20lber tonight. Wicked evening on the water and nice to get a big chicken!
Congrats on your Hali’s. You put your time in

Congrats on your Hali’s. You put your time in
Thanks, last 4 have been on a buddies boat. First Hali for him, nice to see the excitement when a guy gets into fish on his (new to him) boat. Wanted to bring the go pro to share the stoke but only got a few pics.

Attachments

• A1F18071-965C-4ACB-9CD1-24D4812C0E81.jpeg
    A1F18071-965C-4ACB-9CD1-24D4812C0E81.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 6FA36A59-A934-4A9F-8B46-68E6EC06E0E3.jpeg
    6FA36A59-A934-4A9F-8B46-68E6EC06E0E3.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 227
We lost a commercial looking crab pot any names words on it?
Got a 30 and 20lber tonight. Wicked evening on the water and nice to get a big chicken!
The float had 311129 and was on Thames Shoal between Gonzales Pt. and Greater Chain Island. Was still there on Monday.

Closed for spear fishing while diving.

A straightforward reading of the regulations looks like a diving closure and a general fishing closure to me, except for the very end of the breakwater.

From the DFO regulations:

Restrictions​

Always check for protected areas.

SpeciesAreasMeasure TypeMeasure Value
Finfish19-2Closed
Strait of Georgia Dive Closures (Area 19)Closed
Ogden PointClosed

And under the hypertext links to the Area Descriptions there are two separate entries; one for Ogden Point and one for the dive closure.

Area Descriptions​

AreaMapArea Description
Ogden PointOgden Point Breakwater; consisting of those waters inside a line from the navigation light at the western end of the causeway, thence to Brotchie Ledge Light, thence to Holland Point on Vancouver Island.
Strait of Georgia Dive Closures (Area 19)In the Victoria area, Ogden Point Breakwater, consisting of those waters inside a line from the navigation light at the western end of the causeway, thence to Brotchie Ledge Light, thence to Holland Point on Vancouver Island.

In any event, if I had any doubts about the regulations for Area 19 I'd be calling the local DFO office at 250-363-3252 rather than relying on someone else's interpretation. And that applies to mine, too.

Last edited:
The regs show that area closed, wonder if the commercial boats bitched loud enough
to get all the fishing boats gone.
Sucks for August breakwater fishing

Back