We always throw the cabezons back. years ago my Chinese neighbors gave us some fish cakes made from a huge cabezon I gave them, worst this I ever ate. since then we figured they were garbage fish, will have to try them battered as we catch them often and they are up tp 10lbs easy. Quite often the Oak Bay police are at the ramp doing inspections also.
They are my favorite fish to catch, especially on a light jigging rod. Awesome fighters. As for cooking, I usually fillet them, cut the boneless meat into strips and stir fry and then add to steam vegetables. The head and the rest of the fish can be chopped up to make broth/soup with tofu. Awesome. BTW, I have seen them sell for 58.88 dollars a pound at some high end restaurants. I guess one man’s garbage fish is another’s treasure delicacy.

We always throw the cabezons back. years ago my Chinese neighbors gave us some fish cakes made from a huge cabezon I gave them, worst this I ever ate. since then we figured they were garbage fish, will have to try them battered as we catch them often and they are up tp 10lbs easy. Quite often the Oak Bay police are at the ramp doing inspections also.
The fish tacos we made with them were delish. Just have to get rid of that garbage skin and rinse them off and they're lovely.

As others have posted they are fun to catch.
Tried eating them and wasn’t for me. I’m a ling and tuna guy

What do you guys think of the hali tides this Sunday? Between 7am and 12 the tide drops about 4 feet but the currents are minimal. Thinking about going to the mud hole area but second guessing my reading of the currents because its my first trip of the year. Hoping for some opinions on the morning shift

7:00-11:00 am looks good
under 1 knot
I agree the current is good but some time when to tide drops the current picks up even though the current is forcasted to be light but maybe it won't be effected as much at the mud hole vs oak bay?

At Constance 730-1 today. One good hit first thing then 4 barkers. No keepers in the crab trap. Only a handful of boats out. Thought there would have been more as the currents were good. Wind stayed away till we were heading back in

Tried our luck for hali east of Discovery, no luck, not even a dog. Checked by the RCMP. Quite a boat they have.
Beautiful day, still beats working.

Back